Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2006, 08:24 AM   #1
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Some of my worries in trying to replace the axles myself include:
  1. Getting crushed by the axle (what do the bare axles weigh anyway?)
  2. Getting some bolts out and finding one or more are stripped or rusted solid. Then, what do I do?
  3. Finding before the job is complete that I need some welding work done. Something I can't do.
Any thoughts or comments on those who have been through this?

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot
  1. Getting crushed by the axle (what do the bare axles weigh anyway?)
  2. Getting some bolts out and finding one or more are stripped or rusted solid. Then, what do I do?
  3. Finding before the job is complete that I need some welding work done. Something I can't do.

Scott

Not to worry.

Henschen axles are direct bolt in, no changes necessary.

No welding necessary.

A single complete axle, with 12 inch brakes, weighs about 220 pounds. However, if you take the hub and drum off along with the brakes, then the weight drops to 120 pounds.

A set of "grade 8" hardware is provided for each axle at no charge. No need to worry about the old hardware, since you will not need it.

Direct replacement Henschen axles, are a simple "do it yourself" bolt in job.

The hardest part is jacking up the trailer when you have a single axle. A tandem axle replacement does not require any jacks, instead, just some 2 X 6's.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Moonshot,

Remember, safety is always first. Getting crushed by an axle doesn't sould like fun to me. I have my trailer on jack stands and loosened all of the bolts anticipating arrival of my new axles. i have found the best penetrating oil is called "Blaster" and is available at the local Wal Mart. I sprayed it on all the bolts a day before removal. These bolts are rusty and looked like they were stuck to the frame. Each one broke away easily using and adjustable wrench and a ratcheted socket. No problem.

The right oil and the right tools go a long way. Just remeber safety. It's important to me as my eight year old son is helping me with every step. He's quite a kid - a real joy for a father.

Joe
Alumin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #4

It's not that bad

I bought new axles from Inland RV. Don't use jack stands. Take a look at these photos I took when I replaced my axles.

Marty

http://www.infowest.com/personal/s/s...am/airstream3/
martinb321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We used a floor jack to raise the axle right into place - one person to run the jack - and one person to bolt. We took it out the same way. Pretty simple..

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
The Painted Pig

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Hailey , Idaho
Thanks everybody.

Janet, did you do this on your Minuet? If so, what brand of axle did you install? Did you use shocks after the install?

Scott
Moonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshot
Getting crushed by the axle (what do the bare axles weigh anyway?)
  1. Getting some bolts out and finding one or more are stripped or rusted solid. Then, what do I do?
  2. Finding before the job is complete that I need some welding work done. Something I can't do.

Scott
Safety First. A level place to work, Good quality Jack stands in their proper place, a Floor Jack. That is all you need, but a helper is a good idea.
I went to Harbor Frieght and purchased an Electric Impact Wrench with Impact Sockets, the 4 big bolts bolts were a breeze with it. I received new bolts with the Henschen axle I purchased, use them.
We ordered new shocks with the axle. Shocks were part of the design and I replaced them with the factory recommened type. You need to install new shocks with the axle off of the trailer.
If you need to have the Shock Horns welded on it is no big deal. Locate the best position and have a welding shop do the work. Should take them about 20 minutes to do it. I located the placement then took the axle back out of the trailer and had a friend weld them for me, just no big deal.
I found the job to take about two hours and that was with pulling the axle to have it welded once I located the position of the horns.
Good luck and don't worry.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
johndigbydog

Hello- I too just replaced my axle with the Henscheon purchased from Andy at Inland.... It was a bit of a job removing the last axle bolt but the entire job was really quite easy! Mostly, the ease was due to the EXACT fit that was accomplished from purchasing a Henscheon! I had NO trouble with shock replacement either, I also got these from Andy! My hat off to Inland RV, Andy and staff for their helpfulness and being sure that I got the EXACT axle I needed. I personally spoke with Andy during the ordering process and I was EXTREMELY pleased! WELL WORTH THE PURCHASE PRICE !!!!
Johndigbydog
Johndigbydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I too just purchased my axle from Andy at Inland RV. Hope to have it on after I get home from this trip. I will post my response to your question on how difficult it was in about 2 weeks. My only question as I remember my setup is I have a gas line that runs under the axle and how to work around that. I guess I will have to remove the brakes and thread it over the gas line then reattach the breaks. Any comments are much appreciated.

BTW I soaked my hardware 6 weeks ago so I hope the nuts and bolts break free easily when I get home.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
johndigbydog

Yes- I had the gas line issue, I just removed it temporarily with 2 crescent wrenches, no biggie at all !!! Johndigbydog
Old 10-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb321
I bought new axles from Inland RV. Don't use jack stands. Take a look at these photos I took when I replaced my axles.
great shots Marty, makes it easy to see how the boards were used.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
My 63 Safari is a single axle and I replaced it when I had the shell off. I ordered the axle through Andy and it was fine. My driveway has a slope to it and that forced me to do some math...But I ended up putting the axle on my creeper, positioning it under the frame, then jacked it up, and clamped it in place while I drill the new holes for the bolts.

The only modifications I had to do were a little bit of grinding on the frame notch since the new axle was slightly larger, new bolt holes since they didnt line up to the origional ones, and I put in a 1/8th inch shim between the frame support and the axle plate as there was a small gap between the two.

I spent a lot of time making sure the axle was square to the frame, and the clamps made that pretty easy.

Removing the rusted bolts was no problem, if one gets stuck get the metal cutting blade out or use a hot wrench (torch), but you should be fine soaking them with Blaster.

Good luck.

Kevin
mbatm01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Adjustments

Ok, now I am less worried about the actual axle installation. I know that Andy's stuff is top grade (my opinion). BUT, and there is always a but, I will be leaving on a moderatly long trip within days of the installation. Did any of you notice any need for brake adjustments? Did the bearings come sufficiently packed and ready to roll? Were there any inspections by removing the drums before or after the install? I literally have 3 days home and if the axle is there I will do the replacement. I don't want any surprises waiting for me at home or on the road.

Axle alignment should be an easy thing. Measure to a point on the tongue such as the jack pole and it should be equal in distance from each drum edge - correct????
Old 10-05-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Hey, what should these cost (Henschen Axles) whether from Andy or from someplace else that can get them? And are all AS Henschen Axles the same? Also, how do I get in touch with Andy? Are the shocks a standard shock and how much should these cost? And I am with Clancy boy is this how you align them????
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Axle WILL align corectly and you will see exactly how this is so once you remove the old one. There is no need for any alignment, not sure what that is all about since the new axle fits well inside the frame mounting slot. The new axle has a topper bracket that when flush with the floor automatically centers the axle...... Drilling new bolt holes was no biggie, there is LOTs of room for them and the info supplied from Inland shows where to place them, use a good drill, I used a Dewalt 1/2 inch. Also, for the person asking, Henscheon is about 3 blocks from the A/S factory in Jackson Center, don't try to buy elsewhere because you can't. Need to go thru Andy at Inland RV and he is on line. When you call there and tell them it is about an axle you will be linked to Andy. I found him VERY helpful! I did the installation in my gravel drive and had a bit of a side-to-side slope, used lots of 6x6 lumber pieces, 4x4s etc to block BEHIND the old axle. When free from its bolts the axle was just lowered to the ground, no biggie. I was also at the Henscheon factory in June and they do a NICE job prepping the axle for bolt-on, no adjustments or bearing packing necessary, that is their only job, MAKING axles, they know what they are doing and that is why it is the best and easiest way to go....Hope this helps, don't sweat it !!! Johndigbydog
Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
A few last thoughts..... The axle was about $800 thru Inland, the shocks were ordered on- line thru Inland, about $10 each? They are Monroes and fit beautifully. I took a pic of the newly installed axle to display how it self-aligns in the notch on the frame. I can't seem to be able to post it here but if intersted please send me a message and I will forward it to your email. Johndigbydog
Old 10-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndigbydog
A few last thoughts..... The axle was about $800 thru Inland, the shocks were ordered on- line thru Inland, about $10 each? They are Monroes and fit beautifully. I took a pic of the newly installed axle to display how it self-aligns in the notch on the frame. I can't seem to be able to post it here but if intersted please send me a message and I will forward it to your email. Johndigbydog

OOPS.

We only sell the Airstream horizontal shock absorbers that are made by "Gabriel."

Monroe has never been used by Airstream. Airstream originally used "Delco."

Airstream horizontal shocks sell for $33.95, not $10.00.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Andy- Sorry about the mistake, they ARE Gabriels that I installed. Price is correct, just didn't remember what I paid for them, regardless, price was nominal in relation to having a good job done ! Thanks Again! johndigbydog
Old 10-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndigbydog
Yep, saw that NOTCH in my research on how to do the axle in someone else's post. I have a good understanding of what I am up against with so little time to do it. I just don't trust the darn thing - 40 years old. My experience with 66 Mustangs, the rear axle (NOT THE SAME THING BUT LOTS MORE MILES) need a complete going over and I happen to believe in overkill.

Thanks again