Old 10-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Eagle Lake / Eastport , Florida / Maine
Axle WILL align corectly and you will see exactly how this is so once you remove the old one. There is no need for any alignment, not sure what that is all about since the new axle fits well inside the frame mounting slot. The new axle has a topper bracket that when flush with the floor automatically centers the axle...... Drilling new bolt holes was no biggie, there is LOTs of room for them and the info supplied from Inland shows where to place them, use a good drill, I used a Dewalt 1/2 inch. Also, for the person asking, Henscheon is about 3 blocks from the A/S factory in Jackson Center, don't try to buy elsewhere because you can't. Need to go thru Andy at Inland RV and he is on line. When you call there and tell them it is about an axle you will be linked to Andy. I found him VERY helpful! I did the installation in my gravel drive and had a bit of a side-to-side slope, used lots of 6x6 lumber pieces, 4x4s etc to block BEHIND the old axle. When free from its bolts the axle was just lowered to the ground, no biggie. I was also at the Henscheon factory in June and they do a NICE job prepping the axle for bolt-on, no adjustments or bearing packing necessary, that is their only job, MAKING axles, they know what they are doing and that is why it is the best and easiest way to go....Hope this helps, don't sweat it !!! Johndigbydog

Old 10-05-2006, 10:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
A few last thoughts..... The axle was about $800 thru Inland, the shocks were ordered on- line thru Inland, about $10 each? They are Monroes and fit beautifully. I took a pic of the newly installed axle to display how it self-aligns in the notch on the frame. I can't seem to be able to post it here but if intersted please send me a message and I will forward it to your email. Johndigbydog

Old 10-06-2006, 10:02 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndigbydog
A few last thoughts..... The axle was about $800 thru Inland, the shocks were ordered on- line thru Inland, about $10 each? They are Monroes and fit beautifully. I took a pic of the newly installed axle to display how it self-aligns in the notch on the frame. I can't seem to be able to post it here but if intersted please send me a message and I will forward it to your email. Johndigbydog

OOPS.

We only sell the Airstream horizontal shock absorbers that are made by "Gabriel."

Monroe has never been used by Airstream. Airstream originally used "Delco."

Airstream horizontal shocks sell for $33.95, not $10.00.

Andy
Old 10-07-2006, 11:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Andy- Sorry about the mistake, they ARE Gabriels that I installed. Price is correct, just didn't remember what I paid for them, regardless, price was nominal in relation to having a good job done ! Thanks Again! johndigbydog
Old 10-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Notch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndigbydog
Yep, saw that NOTCH in my research on how to do the axle in someone else's post. I have a good understanding of what I am up against with so little time to do it. I just don't trust the darn thing - 40 years old. My experience with 66 Mustangs, the rear axle (NOT THE SAME THING BUT LOTS MORE MILES) need a complete going over and I happen to believe in overkill.

Thanks again

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote