Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Why

No offense intended Andy;
Can anyone tell me why AS gave up the rights to sell axles to consumers? Or was it a deal with to axle manufacture getting a better deal with inland rather than AS. Just curious.
Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
That's an interesting question. I've wondered the same thing. Doesn't much matter since Axis bought the remnants of Henschen. Inland does not have the exclusivity it once did. There are many places that you can get replacement axles from like Colin Hyde trailer restorations.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro View Post
Can anyone tell me why AS gave up the rights to sell axles to consumers? Or was it a deal with to axle manufacture getting a better deal with inland rather than AS. Just curious.
Robert
Robert.

Airstream did not give up the right to sell Henschen axles, with the contract they had with us.

Airstream still maintained the right to purchase any axle/axles they needed, either for their service department, or for a dealer. However, Airstream did not want to stock any axles, which was problem # 1.

Problem # 2, was that they had considerably priced themselves out of the market.

Problem # 3, was Airstream did not want to get involved in changing the specs, for replacment axles, such as changing the starting angles, or increasing the weight ratings, or the size of the brakes.

We, on the other hand, worked with each and every customer, determining what axle starting angles and/or weight ratings worked out the best for their specific needs, and in fact, still do, since we have all the original specs, starting from 1961.

It was a simple matter, back then, to place an order with us, and the axle/axles would have been delivered to the Jackson Center service department, for them to install on their service department customers trailer.

At this point and time, it doesn't matter since Henschen is gone.

Airstream, at this point, will use Dexter axles, for replacements, at their prices, but without any changes from the original axle specifications, and is still far more expensive than the Axis/Henschen axles

And yes, the Axis/Henschen axles can be shipped to Airstream for installation on a customers trailer.

Axis, still has their original design axle, but they also make the Henschen axle, to the original Henschen axle specifications.

When Henschen decided to quit selling retail, any Airstream dealer, past or present could have stepped up to the plate.

We were the only one that contacted them with a workable proposal, and then signed a contract with them, as well as with Airstream.

There were other considerations taken by both Henschen and Airstream, that was used by them, to select Inland RV Center, which is private, and will stay that way.

Experience, reputation, past history, involvement publically and with the internet, financial ability, and customer service, were just a few of the considerations.

Business is business, and those that choose to lead, instead of following, typically wind up as a front runner.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
So henschens is no longer in operation in JC. Or has axis taken over their plant so I can go over and buy direct.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So henschens is no longer in operation in JC. Or has axis taken over their plant so I can go over and buy direct.
The Henschen plant is shut down, in Jackson Center.

Axis bought some of the equipment and moved all of it to Elkhart.

That is the only city of operation.

Andy
Old 01-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
GKN/Henschen's doors are closed. From what I've read here on the forums, Axis bought some tooling and such. All manufacturing is done at the Axis factory in Indiana.
Here's a link
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ing-59074.html

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Charleston , South Carolina
andy

your time is well thought of

thanks jim.
cuyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Thank you for clearing that up Andy;
If I would have been following the forum a little closer I would have known this. So I guess I should have replaced sooner so I could order through inland and pick up at JC to save some shipping cost. So do I still order through you Andy to obtian proper specs.
Robert
Old 01-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thank you for clearing that up Andy;
If I would have been following the forum a little closer I would have known this. So I guess I should have replaced sooner so I could order through inland and pick up at JC to save some shipping cost. So do I still order through you Andy to obtian proper specs.
Robert
You can, if you wish.

Check your PM.

Andy
Old 01-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Robert
It is not just axles.

Airstream does not want to sell any parts (not to be confused with accessories) directly to consumers. They want the consumers to purchase parts through their dealer network.

This is not to say that they won't sell directly to the consumer if extenuating circumstances warrant it.

I am not saying this policy is good bad or indifferent, but it is what it is.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Louisburg , North Carolina
I for one have ordered axles from Andy and it was well worth the price to have them slip into place with ease and work perfectly without any alterations. Just be aware that if you have them delivered to your home Andy has no control over the shippers and you should be prepaired to unload them from a tractor trailer and they will weigh about 225 each axle with the brakes and drums already attached. If you are not there to help the driver, Lord only knows what damage they will do by dropping them 4 feet to the ground. My UPS driver called me when he was 20 minutes away and it was a good thing I was home and I could get a couple of strong young men to help let them down to the ground carefully. No Damage and all worked out fine.
Mainstream is offline   Reply With Quote