Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
Question Which feight company does Colin Hyde use?

Colin Hyde will ship new axles to a commercial address so I need to know which freight line does he use. Hopefully there is a freight hub (FedEx Freight, Saia, SouthEastern Freight) near me so they can "Hold for pickup". His voice mailbox is full and responses to emails are sparse.
Bobkatbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
It is more likely they will be drop shipped from the manufacture. Try them.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Colin told me that he uses a freight broker to get the best rates. The general idea is that you go pick them up at whatever freight company's warehouse / depot. The freight broker will get them close to your house based on your zip code. The guy from the freight company warehouse called me when they arrived.

Frankly, I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it all worked.

I rented a UHaul trailer (I intensely dislike UHaul, btw) and picked them up; they had a forklift to put them on the trailer for me. Take along a couple tie-downs to keep them from shifting in the trailer.

First picture is frieght company forklift on the way out of their building with the axles; second picture is the axles in the UHaul trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160614_101138.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	237.8 KB
ID:	268233   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160614_101356.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	268234  

Old 08-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My Bambi II axle ordered thru him was dropped shipped from the manufacturer direct to my local shop. It was dropped off by Skyway out of Mobile Al.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkatbry View Post
Colin Hyde will ship new axles to a commercial address so I need to know which freight line does he use. Hopefully there is a freight hub (FedEx Freight, Saia, SouthEastern Freight) near me so they can "Hold for pickup". His voice mailbox is full and responses to emails are sparse.
If you buy Dexter axles and can pick them up from one of their distributors, there is no freight charge. I picked mine up from Red Neck Trailer Supply in Lincolnton, NC. They loaded it into my trailer for me in about 10 minutes, had me sign the delivery ticket and I was out of there. Dexter has numerous distributors around the country. Just Google them.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Smile Shipping

I had them shipped to a freight terminal (the closest was 60 miles away) and was pleasantly surprised that they elected to drop them off for me at the house (where the airstream was up on blocks & waiting). No extra charge, as they were delivering in the area anyway.
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote