Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2008, 10:45 AM   #1
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Question What would you do in the middle of no place?

I want to put new axles on my 63 AS. I limped over to the local Dexter dealer this morning and they say they can not help me unless I find out the "degree angle" "model number of the replacment axles" and so on.... I then limped home and phoned the Lafayette Indiana AS Dealer. They say they can not install the axles because they "do not have an alignment rack"

So here I sit... Nobody will pack the bearing on the orignal axles for fear they "can not get parts" and no body knows how to install axles... What can I do now?

The tires are very poor on my 63...is it safe to go buy new tires and NOT have the bearings repacked etc??? I have no idea where to go from here..really need help from others that have faced this conundrum...help I'm not rollin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Z.
Zstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Okay...take a few deep breaths. It's not so bad!

1. Repack your own wheel bearings...it's not difficult ~ a little messy yes, but not hard. You'll save money and get to know your trailer by doing it yourself. Search the forums for a "How to" I'm sure there are several or get your hands on the latest Vintage Advantage issue...there is a teriffic write up with pictures and step by step instructions.
2. Then search the axle threads here on the forums...many have replaced them on their own after having them drop shipped to their doorstep. If that's not an option, tow your trailer to either an Airstream or trailer facility capable of changing them out. At least you won't have to worry about the bearings or wheels...and your axle will most likely be fine to get you there.
3. If you decide to travel to get the work done...yes, get new tires. That way you don't have to worry about a blow out due to rotten rubber.

Feel better?

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well there is a lot of information on this forum for the DYI person. But I understand your conundrum if your not a DYI person! The fact is all the information you need is right here on the forum. These are amazing old trailers... however they are old! Most companies and even Airstream dealers realy do not want to work or mess with anything older than 10 years old!

Please do not give up! We just need to look at each item and solve it together that is the power of the forum!
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Thank you for your input! I have no problem doing it myself with instruction BUT what concerns me is that nobody wants to repack the bearings for fear that "parts are not available"???? So, how can I do it ... if a trailer guy can't get parts where will I get parts? Better question is what parts are needed to do bearings? Oh lordy- If I was a drinker I think I might have a cocktail right about now....
Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Go to the Mothership

Jackson Center is in the western part of Ohio.... right next door to Indiana. Go to the mothership for repairs and axle replacements. If you tow your airstream for 20-30 miles and the hubs aren't hot, your bearings are passably lubed. At least enough to get you Jackson Center.

Paula
Old 05-01-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
No parts should be needed to re-pack working wheel bearings. The part that may need replacement, and should be available anywhere, is the grease seal in the back of the drum. The procedure is quite straight forward.

Call Inland RV. They have the sizes and down-angles you need. No alignment rack is needed. I replaced mine by myself in about 3 hours. They where an exact replacment. The Henchens are made near Jackson Center, so you could pick them up yourself and save a bundle on shipping costs.

Good Luck!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zstream
Thank you for your input! I have no problem doing it myself with instruction BUT what concerns me is that nobody wants to repack the bearings for fear that "parts are not available"???? So, how can I do it ... if a trailer guy can't get parts where will I get parts? Better question is what parts are needed to do bearings? Oh lordy- If I was a drinker I think I might have a cocktail right about now....

If you are DIY then there's no problem.

Call Inland Andy and he can answer your degree question along with any others you have.

Since he's the distributer for Airstream axles you can buy them from him and have them shipped to you. He can talk you through it and there are many threads here where others have done it without a problem. Some threads are how to with pictures. If memory serves me right it's just 6 or 8 bolts.

I'd suggest that when you buy the axles you get them with new hubs and I'd pay the extra for neverlube hubs and not have to repack bearings ever again.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Bearings and seals are all standard sizes, they weren't made special for your trailer. They may not be on the local auto parts dealer's shelf, but they should not be a problem to order from a bearing supply. Bothe parts of the bearing have numbers as do the seals. Read up on the proceedure in the forum threads.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #9
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
According to InlandRv the seals I need are $40.00 each. So that makes doing the repack kind of crazy. My dream would be to do the bearing repack and just buy new tires. However, just to complicate the situation, my wheels are split rim.... AS of Ohio just quoted me $1500 each for new axles. My streamer is sitting in the barnyard and is looking very forlorn....
Old 05-01-2008, 03:49 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
According to InlandRv the seals I need are $40.00 each. So that makes doing the repack kind of crazy. My dream would be to do the bearing repack and just buy new tires. However, just to complicate the situation, my wheels are split rim.... AS of Ohio just quoted me $1500 each for new axles. My streamer is sitting in the barnyard and is looking very forlorn....
Zstream,

Take a look here: Grease Seal SKU644 - $6.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

or here: Grease Seal SKU645 - $7.95 : ODMRV , Out-of-Doors Mart

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #11
MyFirstStreamer

1963 26' Overlander
Indiana , Indiana
Bill, Are you saying those seals will work on 1963 Henschen axles?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Those grease seals are not for a 63.

The grease seals at this point for the older Airstream, are sort of difficult to get.

We had them for years at a reasonable price.

Today, that statement is history, BIG TIME.

No one has them or wants them. OK, so go to the manufacturer as we did.

They say, not a problem, as long as you buy 500 of them.

Therefore our only option left is to get them from Airstream, who is the only one that we know of that has them.

Therefore, they control the price, not us.

A replacement axle, complete with hubs, drums, bearings, grease seals, and 10 or 12 inch brakes, regardless of weight rating, is $750.00 each, plus freight, unless a factory pickup is requested, then there are no freight charges.

You should also replace the complete axle, with new wheels and tires, with proper ratings.

The shocks are available from Napa auto stores.

Sooner or later, you will be forced to make complete replacements, of all the running gear.

Tire shops will not touch a split rim wheel.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 11:16 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Bill, Are you saying those seals will work on 1963 Henschen axles?
I have no idea, but they are from an Airstream Dealer. From what Andy says about the 45 year old axle parts, you are probably better off replacing the axles with new. I know I replaced my 50+ year old axles with new because I could not get brake parts which would fit.

Bill

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Half Moon Bay , California
In my brief experience with AS & Forums, Inland Andy and Aerowood reveal much sense with few words. I believe that they can be trusted with our time and money. jsutro
jsutro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
You can TOTALLY trust Andy....he knows his stuff!!