Old 06-07-2006, 10:03 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

How much are bearings: ten bucks? Why not simply buy new ones each time and not screw with all this?

Old 06-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Funny/Not funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tphan
wow, "anything that spins can explode." Makes me think how near death that guy from the Harlem Globetrotters was when he'd spin that basketball on one finger. Or those pie-plate spinners, on sticks, on old variety shows. I once saw a kid blow up from his yo-yo exploding!! Good, solid advice: ALWAYS have the "pros" do everything for you, you never know when your drill bit or saw blade could explode, like a grenade.
That's the funniest thing that I have seen in a great while.

However, I agree with the last post 100% (just replace the bearings) but thought it might flame someone if I was that blunt!

Regards,
Henry

Old 06-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #31
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen chosen
How much are bearings: ten bucks? Why not simply buy new ones each time and not screw with all this?
If it was a matter of $10 for bearings (In my case $80 ~ two bearing sets for each wheel assembly 4 wheel assemblies) I might consider it.

However pounding out the old race in the hub/drum is a pain in the rear axle. And pressing in the new race introduces an element of error if the race does not go in aligned or has a piece of dirt between the race and hub. Not to mention I do not have a press so it would be a hammer, a socket and the old race tapping on the new race. Just not the ideal installation process.

I never mixed used races with new bearings.

Long time ago I bought a 30 gal. parts washer. I clean a heck of a lot more than bearing in there.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

This brings up antoher of the Great Airstream Myths, that you can never replace the bearings without replacing the races. I know the discussions on this will include someone saying to do so risks certain death, while someone else will post saying they have done this for 20 years without a problem; to be followed by an ominous post warning it is only a matter of time.....
Old 06-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #33
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
This would not be a myth of just an Airtream. It would apply to all car and truck applications that are set up like this. (Most RWD vehicles) I have seen it done (mixing old with new) with results that were acceptable. And I have seen results that were not accpetable. (Premature bearing wear)

Many newer cars have sealed wheel bearings and repacking is not needed. The greases available will last for a very long time. I currently have a car that has 137,000 and the bearings have never been repacked. Dissassembly is not possible with out damage to the bearing assembly. This was done for convience and repacking may introduce dirt back into the assembly. Or damage due to reinstallation.

For several reasons I am going to repack versus replace.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-09-2006, 01:53 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Well ,it goes like this, inspect the bearing races for wear ,which means look carefully for pitting ,most common ,also bluing of the race ,indicates overheating ,the same checks with the bearing cones ,pitting or bluing to brown in color also overheated .look at the bearing cones carefully before cleaning out the old grease .Your checking for metal flakes (tiny specks) that will be in the old grease ,hold them up to a light source ,youll see the flakes if they are there. This indicates a bearing where the rollers are flaking off the hardchrome layer .Alot of times this cannot always be detected on clean bearings,but carefully try to rotate each roller to inspect it as you can find a couple pitted or flaking rollers that you might otherwise miss.All that being said ,it is a prudent measure to replace both the race and cone together.Why would you be replacing any bearing cone for ,if it was undamaged anyway?
races have wear many times ,it can be hard to detect ,careful inspection is the key.I have done 30 years worth of bearing service experience so I have seen alot of good and bad bearings and races .

For frozen chosen ,You'll not get any of those choices of excuses from me.Use good judgment and common sense on whatever you do ,things usually will go fine .

By the way i believe andy was just making a point ,A good friend of mine was using a chop saw to cut some steel and the blade wheel he was using exceeded the rated RPM and did indeed explode causing half his hand to be stiched back together ,drag race tires use to explode somtimes do to excessive tire RPM or an engine exceeding RPM explode ,explode means project outwards from a given center ,fire explosions are only one type.

Be safe ,

Scott
Old 06-09-2006, 03:11 PM   #35
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
All that being said ,it is a prudent measure to replace both the race and cone together.Why would you be replacing any bearing cone for ,if it was undamaged anyway? Scott
It has been suggested to replace the bearings versus cleaning them as a convience.

frozen chosen ~ "How much are bearings: ten bucks? Why not simply buy new ones each time and not screw with all this?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-10-2006, 12:37 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Now I could see that ,if the races are in good shape as many I see are ,
new bearings would be fine . the races must be in excellent condition ,no pitting ,bluing or roughness .

Scott