Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Mount Vernon , Washington
What to look for???

I have all the parts to replace wheel bearings and brakes. I don't want to do the work if the axles are trash. What do I need to look for?

Old 03-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Ellie & Carl,

Look under wheels and axels on the forums and you will find the answer. Hope all else is working out for you...........

Curt

Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
On a 69, I think you should expect to need new axles. The the ones on my 68 had NO suspension at all. The torsion arms would not move because rubber has become so hard.
Andy has a good explanation of what to look for at the following link.

Dura Torque Axle
Old 03-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Mount Vernon , Washington
Next Question (I got a million of 'em!)

I read Andy's article. Thank you!
This, of course, begs the next question: Where do I get them and how much should I expect to pay?
Old 03-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
There are numerous ways to get your axles. After much looking and price checking, I decided to order mine through Colin Hyde at(518) 578-7772).
(Home (Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations)) . He has been doing Airstream restorations for years. He gets his axles from Axis corp. You have to give Colin several measurements and he will place the order. Yes, he is a middle man, but the premium for his knowledge and help was tiny. Give him a call.

They ship the axles from the factory and I think the turn around time was only a couple of weeks. I would suggest having them delivered to a business address with a loading dock. Freight companies charge less when delivering to a business. I used a buddy in the HVAC business. He unloaded them with his fork lift and then loaded them on my utility trailer.

Installation on most trailers with most brands or axles does require either holes drilled or tabs for the shocks welded,depending on brand of axle. The axles are heavy and it is not a one man job. Two men and a couple of big floor jacks are a must. If you are going to hire a shop to install them, I would still buy them through someone who is familiar with ordering for Airstreams. I think around $400-$500/axles plus shipping will be about right. Some places charge much more. Shipping will vary but if I recall the freight was around $225 for the pair.

Good luck with your project.