Old 05-28-2012, 06:06 AM   #1
1978 Argosy 24
Scottsville , Virginia
Unhappy What to do with the old axles?

Well my husband Joe just does not want to take the old axles to the dump- he wants to sell them by putting them in our front yard with a for-sale sign, or by advertising on Craig's List, or to let inertia rule, and just let them sit for perpetuity. I am not the only wife who fights this battle- a pack rat husband who finds it difficult to part with ANYTHING... and believes ALL trash has value to someone as a treasure... (Who would want to buy the old things except a scrap recycler?)

Any ideas for how to get rid of or re-purpose the old axles? I was thinking about renting a Medieval trebochet and lobbing them at the first unwelcome man- or beast-invader I find on our property. Or maybe at my husband, if he won't dispose of them!

I will entertain ANY suggestions!

aka Whitefawn

whitefawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
They might be ok for a utility trailer or a junk wagon. I have an old trailer that I used to haul stuff to the dump with. It is ugly but it gets the job done.

perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
I took them directly to recycling.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Advertise them on Craigs List, then when you get a scamer that wants to send you a bad check and take them away LET THEM
Doug & Terry
60 Ambassador Int.
98 Safari
56 Flying Cloud
68 Tradewind
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
The shop that changed mine out simply thru it in the dumpster outside their shop. That was fine with me.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Here in Tampa there is a woman that has a beat up truck and trailer that goes around collecting metal for recycling. I have given her tons of stuff... literally. She is very nice, and has created a nice little business for herself. My axles will go to her.

Most metropolitan areas have metal recyclers that will pay by the pound, and people that will take them off your hands for free.
My 77 Sovereign Renovation
Out in the woods, or in the city, It's all the same to me.
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home....When I'm mobile.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The only thing I can think of of value on them would be the bearings, if in good condition. The old ones had Timken bearings which were good quality and last a long time if properly greased. It is not easy to find those great US made bearings anymore.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I had placed an ad suggesting there final use on someones created utility trailer for FREE. No takers so the axles sat with my 2 part donor Buick cars for 2 - 3 years. I found an out of work young family man and gave all to him. He got his father's flat bed car hauler then with 3 trips down to Sacramento with those cars and axles and cleared $600 for his family. He was clearly very appreciative and I very happy to not had to deal with them. I threw in a gift card for In n out burgers for his family. Good feelings all around!

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
I gave mine to a young kid in town that needed a trailer to haul his mover with...Good deal for me I didn't have to move them, good deal for him axle wheels tires and electric brakes to boot...!
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
When building that new fence, bury 2' of the axle with concrete and use as a corner post. On the top hub, mount a 4' scale model of an Airstream that will act as a wind indicator. With reflective blue tape, mount your property address numbers on the front and rear of the Airstream model.
Inside, mount your old used battery and charge it with a 2.5W solar panel mounted on the roof of the model trailer. The battery will run the LED miniature marker lamps.

Be prepared the build more of these, as people will come knocking at your door day and night.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I changed mine the old ones were gone for a utility trailer to the guy who helped me put in the axles.

If that doesn't work tell your husband to plant one end in the ground bolt some wingy things and pink flamingos on the other end and voila, best whiligig around.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I'm a carpenter and make a living remodeling people's houses.
The worst part of my job is having to work around all the junk that people have stored everywhere in their homes.
The worst offenders are women who just seem to have so much worthless junk everywhere. I don't know what's with their childish fascination with shiney baubles or all the cutsie wootsie, kitschy stuff they have. Like christmas decorations enough for 5 trees, or several old wreaths for the front door. Or seven different plaques that say home is where the heart is or happiness is being a grandma, all of them slightly damaged and thrown haphazardly into the junk room where I have to move a pipe. You can't even move the fridge to rewire behind it because it is so laden with silly magnetic cats, mice and cows. And don't forget about the three used toasters, electric frying pans, can openers and 57 used cottage cheese and margerine containers that are sitting on those shelves in the laundry room and the 25 years worth of birthday cards that are all stuffed in an overflowing box in the closet.
At least the man stuff is generally outside or in the shed or garage and would probably have some scrap value if you brought it to the recycler.
But getting back to your question on those axles.
I would try advertising them on craigslist for $25 or so.
Better to see them go to someone who could maybe reuse them than just get melted down as scrap.
$25 would pay for a nice lunch date for just the two of you somewhere and maybe have enough left over to buy a little magnetic penguin. If there is any room left on your fridge to stick it...
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Here is what to do. Let him put them in the front yard for sale.

Then call the junk guy to come and get them.

You might have to pay him!

Then tell your husband you sold them!!

Then give him the money for them!!!

It might coast a little, but hey, he will be happy and you will be happy, Everyone is happy......!!!!!!!!!!

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Hendersonville, NC , North Carolina
What to do? let this guy sell them for you

I've seen this ad several times and said, "Wow, I paid that for new ones"
If I ever see the ad disappear I'll call him and see if he can move my old ones for that price.

Airstream Axles w/ Hubcaps

kokopat is offline   Reply With Quote