Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Waxahachie , Texas
What specs for 78 Sovereign axle?

We are renovating our 78 AS Sovereign. I am in contact with various suppliers to see who has the best product and best deal. However I don't know the specs for the tandem axle system.

My question is, what specs should I be looking for to communicate with the vendors?

Thank you
The Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Just to get a quote, you will need the width of the assembly, the proposed down angle of the torsion arm, the size of the brake drum, whether you want electric brakes or not, whether you want a shock stud or not, and the working load of the axle.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
And axle load capacity.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The original axle should have a name plate which will give you the original specs.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi T. Beard and welcome to Air Forums. I'm traveling tomorrow to pick up my new axles for my 75 Overlander. I have felt your pain.

There are several, or many, specifications needed to describe an Airstream axle. Replacement axles for vintage Airstreams is going to get harder and harder as the "cross reference" data from an Airstream part number to a actual axle engineering specification for an order becomes more obscure.

Dexter is currently the only manufacturer of rubber rod, swing arm, "dura torque", or "flex torque" trailer axles. But Dexter has their ways and that does not always fit what Airstream did 40 years ago.

Dexter has an order form. You record what you want, send that form with your check, and they will build an axle for you. There is no returns on a custom axle. I can tell you that I can not measure my old axles accurately enough to complete their form.

So I got some help. There are several Airstream axle suppliers that know the specs and know how to order from Dexter. Redneck Trailers there in Texas is one of those suppliers. I have purchased axles from Colin Hyde in New York with good success. Just a lot of people use Inland RV in California, also with good success. I will pick up my new axles from Luke's Airstream in Colorado, Ft. Collins. He also is very knowledgeable and asks all the right questions. And I live just 2 hours away.

Here are some of the specifications needed:

Desired weight rating of each axle in pounds
Type of brakes and wheel stud bolt circle
up to 3500 pounds are 10" drums, the 5000 pound axles are 12" drums
Starting angle of the swing arm
Distance between drum brake hub faces
Distance between mounting bracket outside surfaces
Regular mounting brackets or "high lift" brackets
Shock mounting bracket location and stud diameter

And more specs I forgot.

Here is a photo of the nameplate from my old axles. There is an Airstream part number. I think Dexter distributors would say "so what". I recommend you find an Airstream axle expert and begin the process that way.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1801 Axles Down (Small).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	305761   Click image for larger version

Name:	1801 Axle Serial Plate (Small).JPG
Views:	201
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	305762  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
West Richland , Washington
Axles for 77 Sovereign

I initially tried to go through a local trailer supply vendor but could not get a good fuzzy feeling that I was going to get the right stuff. So I talked with Inland Rv and ended up ordering from them. I wanted to stay with disk brakes and also bought a Kodiak package from them. They are all bolted up now and look great. These are 3500 pound axles. I removed 3200 pound axles. The square tube is now larger so instead of enlarging the slot in the frame I added spacers to provide ~3 inches lift. Good support from Inland.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180112_150711700.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	305815
worden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #7

1975 31' Sovereign
South bend , Indiana
Wondering on the price

Quote:
Originally Posted by worden View Post
I initially tried to go through a local trailer supply vendor but could not get a good fuzzy feeling that I was going to get the right stuff. So I talked with Inland Rv and ended up ordering from them. I wanted to stay with disk brakes and also bought a Kodiak package from them. They are all bolted up now and look great. These are 3500 pound axles. I removed 3200 pound axles. The square tube is now larger so instead of enlarging the slot in the frame I added spacers to provide ~3 inches lift. Good support from Inland.

Attachment 305815
I’m picking up a 75 sovereign in a couple weeks. Trying to sort out my first move. Axles, tires, or framework.
Bidlack78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Welcome bidjack: I've got a 75 Overlander 27', 4 feet shorter than your Sovereign. It will very likely need new axles, but the axles are one of the last things to assemble. You don't need them for all the months it will be on jack stands.

You have to assess your trailer's needs and then develop the project plan. Start from the tires up. Many of these seventies trailers have frame problems, mine did. Do the "bumper bounce" test and watch for a gap that might open between the body and the frame rail. Do the "ice pick" probe all round the trailer's parameter and assess rotted subfloor. The rear floor is likely rotted away. Test the appliances carefully and decide which ones are keepers. I'm keeping the cooktop only. Test plumbing and electrical. My converter was goofy and my water tanks broken and leaking. Keep working your way up the trailer until you get to the vents. Wow, what a list of needs.

Then get to work. It will take quite a bit of time.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Edmond , Oklahoma
I have a 1972 Sov 31. Can you tell me what you purchased and from who? This all seems so difficult with zero room for error. I am trying to gather as much info from other here before throwing money out there. Thanks!
Happyjoemay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign