Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Yeah.....as a matter of fact....

(MODERATOR NOTE .... THESE POSTS WERE MOVED FROM A VERY OLD THREAD THAT WAS ON A DIFFERENT TOPIC)

You know, you're right, i didn't even look at the date on that original post...... gee that is indeed almost ancient history....

Let's see.... back in '02..... hmmm....I was still married... still had a head of hair.... I had much more sanity than I do now....(???) I could read without the aid of glasses, I didn't have an Airstream, I was much more....... and, and, etc...etc....

Oh jeez...enuff of this....

Anyways, being a newbie here, I have only read a few posts about these Dura Torque Axles.....and also having a 1969 Airstream (23' Safari) this piqued my interest.....

So much that after reading Andy's most informative post, and article on these axles, i found (some long ago hidden) motivation to battle this terrible Michigan bitter cold this morning (10 degrees) and fresh snow.... and head outside to look under my little tin can and check on the status of my axle "attitude"..... (brrrrr...sssshiver...!!)

Hmmm.....guess maybe I shoulda stayed inside, and enjoyed another cup of coffee.....

I see the axle "arms" on my 23' Safari are about completely horizontal...or as Andy called it... "zero degrees"..... I guess that is not good......Prolly not terrible, as i do not yet have a negative angle, as he indicated that would be a total deterioration of the axle rubber. But, also, I am noting that my Safari is completely empty, devoid of any supplies, staple items, clothes, toys, Acme Anvils, (doesn't EVERYONE carry one of these??) or water. Maybe when loaded, I may have that dreaded "negative angle"..... hmmm...

But I guess the most dis-heartening thing I saw in my quick glance underneath this morning is that my axle seems to be bent upward in the near middle. This bend is maybe three or four inches "off center" to the port. (street side for you landlubbers) Possibly as much as 3/4" to 1" upward, causing a slight bow. Jeez, what could have caused THIS???

Guess maybe i need to investigate this further now.....

Any ruminations on this problem???

And what is this about Dexter Axle Co.???? Cheaper??? (always music to my ears !!!!)

I guess since I plan on keeping this Airstream for quite a while, I should be able to justify a complete axle refit, shocks, brakes and all.....do it right...once and for all....right???

Okay...I'll turn this over to the experts!!

My wallet is aching already...in inevitable anticipation !!

Scott

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Scott,

Hope you enjoy your new toy, despite the cold weather.

The upward bend is to set the wheel camber, but it should be in the center of the axle, not offset. That's a bother.

Dexter axles will be less expensive, but you need to invest more personal time and effort in measuring, following up with the vendor, and maybe putting on new shock absorber mouting tabs. Worth the savings if you're handy with tools, and it sounds like you are.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:10 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Grosse Ile , Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to commander31
Thanks Mark....

Gee...Thanks Mark....

Maybe i'll grab another hot cup of java...and find the motivation to head back outside, and see if that upward bend is indeed centered or if i was just seeing things.....

I guess I was just "awfulizing" again, that I had a real serious problem on my hands.......

I will investigate further, and make a decision from there.....

And regards to the bitter weather Mark...if you are in Minnesota this morning, and not in the Florida Keys....I'll make book the weather is a few degrees less desirable there than it is in old Detroit this morning, eh?? (sigh)

Scott

Scott Anderson
Grosse Ile, Mich.
1969 23' Safari Twin
WBCCI # 22426
(formerly #22425 1968-76)

When it is my time, I want to go peacefully,
And in my sleep.....Just like my Grandfather....
Not screaming, kicking and in a state of panic,
like the other passengers in his car were......
commander31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by commander31
. . . And regards to the bitter weather Mark...if you are in Minnesota this morning, and not in the Florida Keys....I'll make book the weather is a few degrees less desirable there than it is in old Detroit this morning, eh?? (sigh)

Scott
We're doing fine, it's a balmy and unseasonable 20F right now. I usually turn on the little spaceheater in the Tradewind about now, and in a couple of hours I can work on it comfortably. We did get a dusting of snow last night.

We're expecting the low to be -15F this coming weekend. That's too cold to work on the AS. I'm afraid the skin will crack.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote