Old 05-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I had the identical problem when I repacked the bearings in my 2000 30' Excella - and I think I made an earlier comment thereon. Somewhat unbelieveable that the Mother Ship would allow someone to pack wheel bearings without proper training. Are the axle assemblys, with brakes and drums, furnished by others to the MS?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Are the axle assemblys, with brakes and drums, furnished by others to the MS?
They are shipped with the bearings installed and prepacked from Henschen or Dexter.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
From the Source!!!

Geeezzz!!!

Now who do we look to for advice on packing wheel bearings???? This is like GM shipping new cars out with 10 extra quarts of oil in the crankcase! (Note: I could just as easily have said Chrysler or Ford!)

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Geeezzz!!!

Now who do we look to for advice on packing wheel bearings???? This is like GM shipping new cars out with 10 extra quarts of oil in the crankcase! (Note: I could just as easily have said Chrysler or Ford!)
Who says they don't? I drained 2 extra quarts out of a new Ram 1500 this morning...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
What a mess

overlander63
Be sure that wasn't a case of the wrong dip stick that caused the oil level to be wrong. I have run into this with GM products.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
My two cents!

I too agree with Andy - replace the shoes.

In the axle manufacturing process (most that I have seen) hub/brake assemblies are prepared off line in the "Pit Station" for grease and the "Brake Station" for brakes. This allows the sub-assemblies to be installed on axles that go down the production line. Most manufacturers of axles buy grease in large containers that are hooked to the "Pit Machine". This machine incorporates several processes to aid and speed up production. The brake drum comes with races installed by the manufacturer, inner and outer bearings are installed by the operator and so are the grease seals. Step one presses the assembly together - step two adds a predetermined abount of grease. Perhaps I understand how the supplier to the "Mother Ship" made the error. Different capacity axles use different size bearings (IE: 3500# axle bearings require less grease than 7000# axles). So a set up is required when changing drum sizes. If an operator lacks to change the set up and put enough grease for a 7000# axle into a 3500# axle the result is over-greasing. Dang humans - they can be so problematic!!!!!

Regards,
Henry
Old 05-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
You know I just pack all bearings (automotive mechanic by trade) the old fashioned way with the palm of your hand forcing it into the rollers thoroughly ,using the correct grease for the paticular application .I dont pack the cavity in the hub full .As has been said ,that does nothing .Boat trailers I have serviced ,and have done alot of those, most of the time had water damage in one or all of the bearings. Never did i see one that had overheated bearings from the hub cavity being full ,having bearing buddies installed ,ever.
If overpacked the grease does get past the seals it does get on the shoes.
So definatley with buddies you have to know how to grease properly.And of course with regular bearings the same thing applies . I have not seen overheated bearings in a hub where the bearings had grease,or the hub had grease in it together .My experience packing and servicing wheel bearings is about 30 years now .I would have to see it to believe it as they say.Pay careful attention to not mixing different types of grease as my earlier posting
touched on ,that causes the grease to break down .you can check with major suppliers of greases,such as valvoline and stalube ,there websites should explain the makup of different greases and there intended use.

Happy Greasing,

Scott
Old 05-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I'm preparing to order grease seals and brake shoes from Low Cost Trailer Supplies. From other posts I believe the seals are #10-36. The brake shoes could be either:

- 6K axle is BP04-150
- 7K is BP04-180

Anyone know which is correct for my 2003 Safari 25?