Old 04-02-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fredericktown , Ohio
well, I ordered my axles!

i had my 1970 streamline weighed at 4400lbs total weight unhooked from truck. so i went with 2-3500lb axles. the camper pulled good already but has some drum warpage and being 39 years old felt it was time.getting rid of the old fayette axles with the wide 4 lug pattern will be nice. i have read alot in these forums and have learned alot in regards of doing my own work on my old camper so thanks alot.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Salt Lake City , Utah
Of the 4400 lbs "unhooked from truck" about 10% or 400 lbs should be tongue weight.
That leaves 4000 lbs on the axles. You didn't say if it was loaded with water, comping gear, etc., so maybe add 1100 lbs of payload (100 on tongue and 1000 on axles). That still only puts 5000 lbs on the axles.
I seems like 2-3000 lb axles (6000 lbs total) should be plenty, that gives you 2200 lbs of pay-load.
Seems like 2-3500 lb axles (7000 lbs total) would give a harsher ride than needed.
Check with others though, that is just my guess.
BWH

Old 04-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fredericktown , Ohio
well i was told that the axles that are under it now are 6000lb axles.not sure how true that is but they have 12x2 brakes on both axles.i know at least 1 drum is warped and causes a pulsation and being almost 40 years old just thought it was time. the camper was loaded with everything we carry camping but water so add 320lbs for our 40 gal water tank roughly.we dont have any storage tanks in the camper, just 1 portable tank we take with us.i like it better that way.also i need a little more height since it sits very low and had to unhook 2 weeks ago when we were in kentucky due to some of there roads are very steep and camper was rubbing in areas.we went back to get camper after we were done.i ordered straight axles,what i have is 4 inch drop axles. but i replaced tires from 700-15 with 205-15 radial which is much shorter knowing i was replacing axles anyway.so i should raise it about 3 inches total. so in 3 weeks i will know. have a great day!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Site Team

, Minnesota
Are you able to get the 3500# axles with 12" x 2" brakes, or are you going to switch to 10" brakes?

You might need to buy new U-bolts and spring plates, the new axles will probably be skinnier. I just hate having to go back to the store for more "stuff".
Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Bearings

Axles equipped with 10 inch brakes have much smaller bearings than the axles that have 12 inch brakes.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bearings1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	77843  
Old 04-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fredericktown , Ohio
i did check several places and could not get 12 inch brakes on a 3500lb axle.or they didnt want to. the axles come with new leaf springs already on them, new lug nuts,spring shackle bolts,everything i need to bolt straight up. i know the bearings are smaller than the 12 inch brakes but its not very heavy,4400 lbs total weight. if i was talking 6500lbs or more then yes but if the axles are rated 3500 lbs each shouldnt the bearings? im retired from the state of ohio, but for 15 years was a master ASE automotive technician and have repaired motor homes,trailers,and all sorts of autos over the years and im thinking from what i have read and my experience i should be fine.im only 42 years old but drive like im 70 lol i keep it at 60mph or less and take most side roads. i have already replaced the floor,plumbing,trunk door(had to make one) all lights inside and out, and removed the crusty gas stove and furnace and storage tank (black tank only)i will run on mainly 12 volt with 2 27 series deep cycle batteries or 120 with my generator.i have a backup portable gas furnace and use a coleman camp grill/stove.oh and a 25 gal portable storage waste tank with a 25 gal backup.the only reason i bought this old thing is we ended up with some bristol tickets and had 2 weeks to get a camper and get it ready.lol so i bought this for a grand,went thru everything and its first trip was 450 miles to bristol tn for a race.so now i am hooked,we loved the trip,the people,the view.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstrackerm View Post
i did check several places and could not get 12 inch brakes on a 3500lb axle.or they didnt want to. the axles come with new leaf springs already on them, new lug nuts,spring shackle bolts,everything i need to bolt straight up. i know the bearings are smaller than the 12 inch brakes but its not very heavy,4400 lbs total weight. if i was talking 6500lbs or more then yes but if the axles are rated 3500 lbs each shouldnt the bearings? im retired from the state of ohio, but for 15 years was a master ASE automotive technician and have repaired motor homes,trailers,and all sorts of autos over the years and im thinking from what i have read and my experience i should be fine.im only 42 years old but drive like im 70 lol i keep it at 60mph or less and take most side roads. i have already replaced the floor,plumbing,trunk door(had to make one) all lights inside and out, and removed the crusty gas stove and furnace and storage tank (black tank only)i will run on mainly 12 volt with 2 27 series deep cycle batteries or 120 with my generator.i have a backup portable gas furnace and use a coleman camp grill/stove.oh and a 25 gal portable storage waste tank with a 25 gal backup.the only reason i bought this old thing is we ended up with some bristol tickets and had 2 weeks to get a camper and get it ready.lol so i bought this for a grand,went thru everything and its first trip was 450 miles to bristol tn for a race.so now i am hooked,we loved the trip,the people,the view.
Maybe you should have made a conversion to torsion axles.

We put 12 brakes on torsion axles rated as low as 2000 pound, since we have them custom made, for each and every application.

Andy
Old 05-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #8

Orillia , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by basstrackerm View Post
i had my 1970 streamline weighed at 4400lbs total weight unhooked from truck. so i went with 2-3500lb axles. the camper pulled good already but has some drum warpage and being 39 years old felt it was time.getting rid of the old fayette axles with the wide 4 lug pattern will be nice. i have read alot in these forums and have learned alot in regards of doing my own work on my old camper so thanks alot.
Hi Basstrackerm:

Do you still have the old fayette axles kicking around .. .I'm looking for a part for my fayette axles on my old 71 travel trailer. Let me know if you are interested in selling any parts off the old axles.

Greycat
Old 05-17-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Me too.

My new axles will be shipped tomorrow. My convertible tow vehicle needs a new top. So I went with axles for the Trade Wind. Makes sense to me....don't need no top in summer in California.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
fredericktown , Ohio
greycat i sold the other axles on ebay.got enough out of them to cut my new axle price in half!! what part was you looking for? i may have some parts lying around
Old 05-18-2009, 09:12 AM   #11

Orillia , Ontario
Thanks, but not needed

I was interested in the left hand lug bolts from the drivers side ... but as it turns out ... they would be no use for me. Thanks anyways.

Greycat