Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Groveport , Ohio
Upgrading--axles

We have a 1980 Excella II, 31 foot, with rear bedroom, in need of new axles. What type of information will I need when I order new axles for her.

2012........The year of the Airstream!!
msterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Airstream Forums - View Profile: Inland RV Center, In

Call Andy he can give you all the help you need...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
msterry,
There are many sources for axles. The prices for the axles vary greatly depending on the supplier. Even for the same axle made in the same factory. There are two main manufacturers of axles for Airstreams. Axis and Dexter and to a lesser degree, Alko Kober. I installed Axis axles that I ordered from Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations. I installed them myself and documented it on my very own axle thread. You are about 250 miles from where these axles are made in Elkhart, IN. Shipping would be much cheaper or you can always pick them up at the factory yourselves. Newer Airstreams have Dexter axles as original equipment.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
What information you will need will depend on who you are ordering them from.
Inland RV and maybe Colin Hyde already know the size, width, etc of the axles that fit your trailer. I understand that they are delivered with no cutting or drilling to get them to fit the mounting plate.

Others, like Dexter, which is where I got my axles from, I needed to know:
Weight rating - Orig. my axles were rated at 4,000 lbs. with 12" brakes, I believe. Dexter had 4,400 rated with 12" brakes. Andy from Inland told me that 4400 is the max rating suggested for my trailer, so I went with that.
Besides that I just needed the measurements that show on the Dexter web site, and the bracket type (top or bottom). You would need the top bracket type, if I'm remembering correctly.
Get the measurements exact (to the 1/16). Mine were delivered exactly as I asked.
With the Dexters I had to do a little cutting and drilling on the mounting plate to get them attached. I'd recommend getting someone to do that for you if you get the Dexters.
Note on measurements: outside hub face is to the outside of the raised area on the hub, where the bolts to in, not the larger flat area of the hub.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
msterry,
There are many sources for axles. The prices for the axles vary greatly depending on the supplier. Even for the same axle made in the same factory. There are two main manufacturers of axles for Airstreams. Axis and Dexter and to a lesser degree, Alko Kober. I installed Axis axles that I ordered from Colin Hyde Trailer Restorations. I installed them myself and documented it on my very own axle thread. You are about 250 miles from where these axles are made in Elkhart, IN. Shipping would be much cheaper or you can always pick them up at the factory yourselves. Newer Airstreams have Dexter axles as original equipment.
After almost a year of research I went with Axis axles from Colin Hyde. They were the right price and since I am doing the work my self (the trailer can not be towed) very convenient. Colin's axles come fully assembled, powder coated, and with the shock mount welded! Less work for me.
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote