Old 01-05-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
turning axles

The fellow who's helping me with my AS Bubble rebuild suggested that we turn the axle over to get more clearance since I want to do some off-road use when fishing. Nothing wild but it never hurts to have a little extra clearance under that toaster.

smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 05:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Inland RV

Jo ann,

You may want to contact Andy@ as he knows the do's & don'ts, or the yes & no's.

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 07:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
turning axles

Greetings Smallfry!

Since your 1957 Bubble pre-dates the adoption of Dura-Torque Axles that began in 1961, your coach should have a straight axle with leaf springs. If you read any of the accounts regarding the Cape Town to Cairo Caravan or the Around the World Caravan, you will read of just this technique being used to gain ground clearance on the pre-Dura-Torque axle equipped coaches.

I can't fill you in on any praticular details as all of the coaches that I have owned had the Dura-Torque axles. It would appear, however, that the two tasks would be relocating the spring monts and possibly the shock absorber mounts.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:46 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
THis should be a doable deal. The "Jeep Guys" do this with regularity. Since you don't have to worry about steering or driveline, this should be a relatively easy conversion. You'll change your ball height though.

Good Luck!

Tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 06:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
My father-in-law did the axle flip this to his SilverStreak (an Airstream Clone) several years ago. He pulls the SilverStreak to Colorado twice a year from south of Houston, TX to his camping/hunting grounds in Colorado and many weekend trips locally. Its over 3000 miles round trip to Colorado. He claims he can tell no difference other than the increased ground clearance in the rocky boondocks, which was the goal. He did build an aluminum step platform to place on the ground as the step is now about 4 inches higher from the ground.

AIR# 123

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 08:26 PM   #6
Exclamation High Rider

Seems to me that any Airstream could be raised. Dura-Torque or not simply by extensions of the chassis axle bracket being fabricated and welded on similar to what was seen elsewhere on this forum on a vintage Caravell. Upper shock stud would need relocation as well. There might be some creative hitch work needed also.

Don't have a clue as to effects on aerodynamics, can anyone think of any other advantages and disadvantages?

Such a lift would surely help with tail-strike, but the clearance under the "axle tube-:to:-ground" would of course be the same as before, so would it really improve much off/back road travel??
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 08:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Raising trailer

My old TrailManor, with Dexter torsion axles, sat very low to the ground. The factory sold a kit for $25 to raise the trailer 2 3/8". The kit consisted of two pre-drilled lengths of 2 3/8" square steel tube, 4 long bolts, and 4 elastic stop nuts. Depending on how your axle is attached, to the frame, this may be an option. The kit could be put on in about a half-hour with just a couple of jacks and hand tools.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 10:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Flipping a drop center or a staight tube axle, should be done with caution.
The first thing that you accomplish, is reversing the toe in/tow out and caster/camber. That will make it mighty tough for tires to wear properly.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote