Old 03-27-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Sumter , South Carolina
Triple Axle versus Double Axle

I've searched to find some information on this topic, but can't find any discussioon. We are looking for our first Airstream. Can anyone tell me what the towing is like on a triple axle versus a double axle? Is it different when you turn corners? Is a triple more stable on the road than a double? Is there a down side to having a triple axle other than more $ when you buy tires?

Thanks so much.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
We own a 1984 34' International. The trailer is a dream to tow and to back up. They are said to be the easiest towing Airstreams ever made and I believe that.

Old 03-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've talked to my dealer and they tow trailers to the local RV shows and sometimes to the WBCCI International when it is in the midwest area. They always tell me that they think the 34' trailers are the best to tow.

I might have bit for a 34' a few years ago but it would have hung out in the street when I had it home. My 31' goes from the garage door less than 3 feet from the driveway curb. I measured to check and the jack stand would have sat in the street. Easy for someone to clip especially since I live in a cul-de-sac.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
Liken it to the keel in a boat...they pull straighter and are a dream!
Old 03-27-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Next weekend drive up to Palmetto Cove near Cesars Head, you'll see triples axle, doubles, singles and the best rally in the Carolina's.

Spring 2016 Alumalina

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...on-143824.html

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I now have 25' double axle and a 34' triple. I also have had a 31'. Yeah sure the 34 tracks better, but any Airstream pulls well. I think the bigger factor is maneuverability. A 34 has a considerably larger turning radius. This means you have to cut a wider turn than a shorter trailer. You need a really big area to do a U turn. A 34 scuffs the tires more than a double axle which other than leaving rubber on the pavement is not a big deal. Backing is a toss up; it's easier to keep going straight, but you need a lot of room and can't see what the rear end of the trailer is doing as well,
Old 03-27-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
I have had my two axle Overlander for 30 years. It towed well on a 3/4 ton window van. T have my 31 for 20 years. It towed well on the same van. I have had my 1989 34 triple since 2011, It towed well with the van but was a little underpowered. I bought a 8.1 liter dually. No more power problems with the crewcab full box full ton and tows very well. I do not use my W/D bars when I use the truck to pull the 26. The 3 axles cause the 34 to want to stay straight. The front and back tires scuff when I try to make a share turn or park. The 34 does not follow the truck as well going around a corner. You need to make wide turns to prevent running over the curbs. The back swings out causing me to catch a corner. You can not see what is going on that far back on the right or left rear corner of the trailer. 34's are better to snowbird in, as they have a lot more room. What to buy depends on how you intend to use the trailer I did have to replace 6 tires on my 5,000 mile trip last summer. Gas cost more as well.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
We have pulled both a 31' and a 34'. I feel that the 34' pulls a little easier, and it does require a little more room to turn. But saying that, it is only 3' longer than a 31', and I find that it backs up about the same except in tight turns where you get wheel scrub. If you feel comfortable pulling a 30', then there will be no problem with a 34'. The extra inside room is worth it!!! Like pulling any trailer, you have to judge what you can and can't do when it comes fuel stops and campgrounds. Good luck with your decision!! Chris
WBCCI #7394
2002 Chev 2500 HD Duramax
1976 31' Gone but fondly remembered
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I've towed several 30' and a 31' Airstreams that I owned prior, as well as the 25' and 34' I own now. The 34' is the only 3 axle trailer made by Airstream. I think the 34' are no longer being made.
As far as towing straight down the road, I think there is not a lot of difference in any of the trailers other than the weight of the trailer behind the tow vehicle. The three axle trailers have less tendency to sway or move side to side. The 34' does not have up/down hitch movement (porpoising) as much as the 2 axle trailers sometimes have on uneven roads. On the other hand, the 34' will slide the rear wheels sideways when in an extremely tight turn, where in the same turn the 2 axle trailers don't. The 34' is easier to back up (does not react as quickly) than the shorter trailers, but it takes more space to back into a turn-in parking spot.

I prefer the 25' for ease of towing and maneuvering.
I prefer the 34' for it's interior space and smooth ride.
I've always said the 30' is the best compromise between large and medium size Airstreams.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabeygal View Post
I've searched to find some information on this topic, but can't find any discussioon. We are looking for our first Airstream. Can anyone tell me what the towing is like on a triple axle versus a double axle? Is it different when you turn corners? Is a triple more stable on the road than a double? Is there a down side to having a triple axle other than more $ when you buy tires?

Thanks so much.
The more axles a trailer has, the more inherent the stablity it has.

Two over one, and three over two and one axle, all the time.

Andy
Old 03-29-2016, 01:01 AM   #11
"SPACE A"

2006 34' Classic
Fort Worth , Texas
Andy is right. I have owned a two axle and two three axle trailers since 1970. The three axle pulls the best. I had to make a fast trip to FL in January and easily pulled at 70-75 mph. Steady as a rock. Thank God for engine braking and 6 wheel trailer disc brakes. However, I did have to pay attention what was behind me and avoid hard braking. Think fast, close following semis. I have and highly recommend a rear view camera. I had already upgraded to Michelin 16" true tires. Those and the new Michelin Defenders on the TV are a real smooth running set up. All tire pressures on both vehicles only increased 5 to 7 psi. at 75-80 psi.
In the first 9 years I went through 2 sets of GYM Ds, then Es, one set each of Carlilse and Maxis, both Es (21 tires total). All failures were due to tread separation. I never exceeded the 65 mph towing limit. I believe the scuffing that three axles cause contributed to the problem, but most of my towing was for long distances with very little maneuvering. I am anxious to see if the Michelin truck tires on the trailer will do better. Airstream Factory Service says emphatically, "yes." So far, for a year and a half they have been great.
guskmg
Old 08-09-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Goliad , Texas
I have yet to pull my first AS but have pulled several triple axles under heavy loads.

All I can say about that is be very careful making sharp turns. The center axle, springs, hangers and tires catch huge amounts of side loads and other forces.

I am not sure what size axles are under the 34' triples or loading percentages yawl are running in them. I popped H tires off of rims at less than 80% load on a 24k trailer turning too sharp. If the tire does not skid it will pop right off
WBCCI #6256
eartick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:21 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartick View Post
I have yet to pull my first AS but have pulled several triple axles under heavy loads.

All I can say about that is be very careful making sharp turns. The center axle, springs, hangers and tires catch huge amounts of side loads and other forces.

I am not sure what size axles are under the 34' triples or loading percentages yawl are running in them. I popped H tires off of rims at less than 80% load on a 24k trailer turning too sharp. If the tire does not skid it will pop right off
Airstreams since the early 60's don't have "springs" or "hangers". They are torsion arm axles. But your point that there are more lateral forces on tires on a triple I believe is correct.