Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #15
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
^^^ I insure everything! My AS has more insurance than both of my trucks... put together

Old 06-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I have not tried anything but a three axle 34 ft, but I don't see how anything could pull better. However I have never snapped an axle in all of those thousands of miles.

TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
In all truth, I don't believe it is possible to "snap" and axle on an Airstream. Four might cause excessive skidding, but since no such thing exists it's not a worry.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
I have a 34' triple axle Avion and I had to make a "U" turn every time I went home. The tires scuff, but I never had any issues. Having said that, some rubber torsion axle manufacturers, don't recommend using their rubber torsion axles in a triple configuration. It doesn't have anything to do with the spindle strength, but the rubber torsion system. Remember, those rubber rods are froze and put in the tube and are held in by expansion of the rubber. There is a lot of lateral force when making a "U" turn on a triple axle trailer.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I have a 34' triple axle Avion and I had to make a "U" turn every time I went home. The tires scuff, but I never had any issues. Having said that, some rubber torsion axle manufacturers, don't recommend using their rubber torsion axles in a triple configuration. It doesn't have anything to do with the spindle strength, but the rubber torsion system. Remember, those rubber rods are froze and put in the tube and are held in by expansion of the rubber. There is a lot of lateral force when making a "U" turn on a triple axle trailer.
Dexter has some myth's about torsion axles.

Their "old time" engineers are dead set in promoting them.

First of all, they say "NO SHOCKS NEEDED". Wonder why Airstream forces them to put them on, and still Dexter says "NOT NEEDED"??? They indeed are needed as the assist with the dampening of bumps.

Then, no triple torsion axles. WOW. In all my years, I have never seen or never heard of one single failure due to triple axles.

Ah yes, the myth's continue, but only from Dexter. Other torsion axle manufacturers install shock brackets, and we supply them with every axle.

Andy
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #20
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Not sure how shocks on an axle or shocks not on an axle would have an impact on tire scuffing when making a "U" turn or how that has a relationship to the original question of would the 3rd axle snap when backing up. However if shocks help for that it is good to know.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #21

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
..., no triple torsion axles. WOW...Andy
Holy Cow! I just figured it out!

Airstream realized after all of these years that they were wrong...after ditching the old, uneducated vendor, Dexter came on board and showed the light...that's why we can't get a triple axle Airstream any longer!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
which axle should i take off my trailer? lol i WOULD like to take one off when i go through the tolls!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
which axle should i take off my trailer? lol i WOULD like to take one off when i go through the tolls!
You would want to lift the center one to keep the tongue load as close to normal as possible.

While I don't fear braking an axle on my 34 it is fun to watch the tires fold over while making a tight backing move.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Not sure how shocks on an axle or shocks not on an axle would have an impact on tire scuffing when making a "U" turn or how that has a relationship to the original question of would the 3rd axle snap when backing up. However if shocks help for that it is good to know.

>>>>>>>>Action
Shocks are motion dampeners.

That being the case, they have no effect on tight turns.

Andy
Old 06-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Even though I have never seen an issue with a triple axle configured rubber torsion axle trailer doesn't mean that the problem has never existed. The Airstream is a relatively light trailer per axle. If I was looking for a used triple axle silver RV trailer, I would get a mid 1988 Avion or older trailer so I would be buying the leaf spring independent axle with a heavy frame. One of our members have owned the Airstream triple and the Avion triple and he is very happy with the Avion, besides it is probably cheaper.
There are enough axle manufacturers that don't recommend the triple axle configuation with the rubber torsion axles that I wouldn't intentionally try to find a trailer with that configuation. My guess is that they have seen problems with the triple axle configuration, but they were probably on the heavier weight trailer with these type of axles. When you think of the leverage placed on the triple axles from the front axle to the rear axle when in a tight turn, I can see the problem occuring by pulling the torsion arm assembly partially out of the axle tube. Maybe it has never happened, but if that is the case, why are the manufacturers recommending against it.
I have never seen an equipment trailer with the heavier (7,000#) rubber torsion axles in the triple axle configuration. My guess is the heavier the load, the more of the problem with this setup. Also, the rubber torsion axles don't have an equalizer so if you turn in an area that has a dip while turning, your front and rear axle could be carrying most of the weight while you are applying the horizontal leverage against the axles.