Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
..., no triple torsion axles. WOW...Andy
Holy Cow! I just figured it out!

Airstream realized after all of these years that they were wrong...after ditching the old, uneducated vendor, Dexter came on board and showed the light...that's why we can't get a triple axle Airstream any longer!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
which axle should i take off my trailer? lol i WOULD like to take one off when i go through the tolls!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
which axle should i take off my trailer? lol i WOULD like to take one off when i go through the tolls!
You would want to lift the center one to keep the tongue load as close to normal as possible.

While I don't fear braking an axle on my 34 it is fun to watch the tires fold over while making a tight backing move.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Not sure how shocks on an axle or shocks not on an axle would have an impact on tire scuffing when making a "U" turn or how that has a relationship to the original question of would the 3rd axle snap when backing up. However if shocks help for that it is good to know.

>>>>>>>>Action
Shocks are motion dampeners.

That being the case, they have no effect on tight turns.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Even though I have never seen an issue with a triple axle configured rubber torsion axle trailer doesn't mean that the problem has never existed. The Airstream is a relatively light trailer per axle. If I was looking for a used triple axle silver RV trailer, I would get a mid 1988 Avion or older trailer so I would be buying the leaf spring independent axle with a heavy frame. One of our members have owned the Airstream triple and the Avion triple and he is very happy with the Avion, besides it is probably cheaper.
There are enough axle manufacturers that don't recommend the triple axle configuation with the rubber torsion axles that I wouldn't intentionally try to find a trailer with that configuation. My guess is that they have seen problems with the triple axle configuration, but they were probably on the heavier weight trailer with these type of axles. When you think of the leverage placed on the triple axles from the front axle to the rear axle when in a tight turn, I can see the problem occuring by pulling the torsion arm assembly partially out of the axle tube. Maybe it has never happened, but if that is the case, why are the manufacturers recommending against it.
I have never seen an equipment trailer with the heavier (7,000#) rubber torsion axles in the triple axle configuration. My guess is the heavier the load, the more of the problem with this setup. Also, the rubber torsion axles don't have an equalizer so if you turn in an area that has a dip while turning, your front and rear axle could be carrying most of the weight while you are applying the horizontal leverage against the axles.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote