Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
On an Aluminum Diet

1968 20' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Trapped in the Great NorthWest?

Dear Colleagues (and, inevitably, the Great One called Andy who is the Axle-Whisperer):

I'm the one with the new 1968 Globetrotter (you can click under my name on the left on the "images 25" to see pics).

Here's the trick. I have to some how tow this thing 2,600 miles back to Houston. The former owner said, "The axle is fine", and, until this forum board, I never thought anything of it after that. I also know there is perfect, okay for now, and Betsy-get-your-gun.

After searching the boards, I have a, I hope, a pretty easy set of questions:

(1) I have read the duratorque axle articles, etc., and seen the drawings. Unfortunately, I still do not know what to exactly look at when I am looking from behind my wheel, at the axle connection, to the rear of the trailer. I understand about the negative, and positive angles, etc. But, angles of what? For now, does anyone have any pics that clearly show, with tires on, what the casual observer is to actually look at in order to do the visual test? Maybe a pic of someone holding the end of a broom at what I am supposed to look at to ensure it is at a downward angle to the rear of the trailer (when empty), and not level, nor going upwards. I need to learn this so (a) I know it and (b) I can explain it to my friends in Redmond, Oregon to see if the axles are shot.

(2) Where in Redmond, Bend, Oregon area, or within two not-to-go-over-50 mph travel hours would someone be that could check these axles or, if they are deemed bad by the visual test of (1) above, could replace them?

(3) How bad is bad? How about I promise to fix it when I get back to Texas where life is good and filled with more Airstream dealers than you can swing a dead cat at. I am now scared to death (a pox on your houses) after seeing shots of broken axles and sad looking vintage airstreams sitting splayed on the road or dangling helplessly aboard flat-bed tow trucks?

Hope help is but a few pic clicks away.

Kindest regards,

Roy
ZeeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you go inside the trailer and bounce up and down and the trailer moves up and down and feels like it has some spring back.
Then hitch the it up and take it home.
Looking at the outside. If the top of the fender well is above the rim on the tire. Is another thing to look at.
You should pack the wheel bearings. Have good tires and functioning brakes. Also lights.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Sutton RV, an Airstream dealer, is just a hop over the hill in Eugene.
However since you are from a fairly flat place, it may seem like a bit more than a hill.

Google says it is a 2 1/2 hour drive at whatever speed they go.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
And Eugene is in the opposite direction from the one called home.

>>>>>Action
Old 04-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Go to the Inland RV site and look at the axles section for info.
pgr32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Single axle trailers do bounce a little...

Roy, Looking at your pictures the one side view I enlarged looks like you should be able to tow the Globetrotter without too much worry of the axle. There appears to be some spring left in the axle (it holds the frame/shell up near the top edge of the wheel rim) in relation to the wheel well. I would hook up and level the trailer to the tow vehicle. Then use the bounce test to see if the trailer has the spring back to absorb some road shock from bumps and rough road segments. If it bottoms out then replace the axle first. If it does spring up and down I say go for it. Keep an eye on the wheels and hubs for heating up and of coarse lube the bearings before starting on the long trip home. Good Luck and be Safe. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
Sutton RV, an Airstream dealer, is just a hop over the hill in Eugene.
I would cruise to Sutton's, I don't want to see you splayed all over the road.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote