Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Trapped Axle Mounting Bolt

I'm in the process of removing my old axles from my 66 Trade Wind. I've rattled off the nuts on the 5/8 x 1.25 bolts. I find that the rear bolt is trapped by the swing arm! I didn't notice this until I tried to remove the bolt. See my picture below. The head of the bolt is in the upper half of the picture. Everything is rust colored so spend a few seconds looking closely. See the shock mount, swing arm, and then the head of the bolt.

So what is the trick for removing this bolt? I wonder if Dexter installed the bolt before welding the mounting plate to the axle? I would appreciate some help from you experienced axle changers.

And then how do I reassemble my new axles. Do they come with the bolts already installed? Maybe there is room to reverse the direction of the bolt and put the nut on the outside, next to the swing arm.

Strange... I didn't expect this problem.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1311 Axle Bolt Trapped.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	200462  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Knights Landing , California
I could be wrong, but I think the spindle should be swinging lower than that. Perhaps the rubber has hardened to the point that it won't relax. May have to cut the head off the bolt with a sawzall or grinder. I guess a hacksaw would work but would be slower. Maybe try prying it down and see if it will move. When you put in the new axle I don't think you'll have this problem.
drunkensloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
I'm in the process of removing my old axles from my 66 Trade Wind. I've rattled off the nuts on the 5/8 x 1.25 bolts. I find that the rear bolt is trapped by the swing arm! I didn't notice this until I tried to remove the bolt. See my picture below. The head of the bolt is in the upper half of the picture. Everything is rust colored so spend a few seconds looking closely. See the shock mount, swing arm, and then the head of the bolt.

So what is the trick for removing this bolt? I wonder if Dexter installed the bolt before welding the mounting plate to the axle? I would appreciate some help from you experienced axle changers.

And then how do I reassemble my new axles. Do they come with the bolts already installed? Maybe there is room to reverse the direction of the bolt and put the nut on the outside, next to the swing arm.

Strange... I didn't expect this problem.

David
We see this all the time. The axle has sagged out & encapsulated the head of the bolt. Just push the head back into the hole & cut the threaded end off with a "cut off wheel", then push the remains out. It'll come out if the bolt is shorter. The new axle will have a 22 1/2 degree down angle, so the bolts will go in properly. Good luck with it.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Okay guys, that explains the problem. My axles have sagged like my belly! I tried moving the swing arm to no avail. I think it would take quite a bit of force to deflect it that far.

I'll cut the bolt. I hope it ain't grade 8!

Thanks for the quick solution to my problem.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote