Old 12-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Ashland City , Tennessee
Torsion axle adjustment question, height, possible or not?

My 1977 sovereign rides a little lower on one side with a load or empty. Is there an adjustment for height one side to the other. Thanks for any help.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Hey Red,
In a word...No! The is no adjustment that can be made to the axle unit itself. There are probably ways to cheat, but they may have other implecations on safety, load, tire where , shocks etc.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 AM   #3

1975 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
No adjustment. The height is determined by the condition of the rubber inside the axle and the amount of weight on the axle. If the trailer has sat for a long time, the rubber may have set and can not be repaired.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
The short answer is not what you wanted to hear. A 31 year old axle is past it's life expectancy
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckhippy
My 1977 sovereign rides a little lower on one side with a load or empty. Is there an adjustment for height one side to the other. Thanks for any help.
Reading the following article will teach you how to check the condition of your axles.

Dura Torque Axle

There are no adjustments.

The only "fix" is replacement.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
I can adjust the ride height from side to side on my new Dexters. The stock axles had no adjustment. The Dexters have elongated holes vertical. So you can adjust them if you wanted more ride height. The frame supports the axles not the "C" channel. I set mine all the way in the channel. If someone opted to do this I would put spacers in AND spot weld the axles in place along with the bolts. The alignment is done by "bending" the axles. Henchsens can't do this though!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-TUNDRA
I can adjust the ride height from side to side on my new Dexters. The stock axles had no adjustment. The Dexters have elongated holes vertical. So you can adjust them if you wanted more ride height. The frame supports the axles not the "C" channel. I set mine all the way in the channel. If someone opted to do this I would put spacers in AND spot weld the axles in place along with the bolts. The alignment is done by "bending" the axles. Henchsens can't do this though!!!
Ah, all the Henschens are alligned by bending the axle tube. The elongation you refer to is not for "adjusting ride height, it is merely for "universal" fit. You could not simply tighten in place and expect them to stay there. I know you mentioned a spacer and welding but...that is not the reason for the elongation.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
Ah, all the Henschens are alligned by bending the axle tube. The elongation you refer to is not for "adjusting ride height, it is merely for "universal" fit. You could not simply tighten in place and expect them to stay there. I know you mentioned a spacer and welding but...that is not the reason for the elongation.
ALL these axles are aligned by bending the axles. I don't see why not? If I wanted to raise my ride height I could. Like I said I could "UNIVERSALLY" make my ride height higher without going to a different down angle and keep the "stock" angle. This IS what AS engineered into the trailer. The bolts are what the trailer rides on NOT the frame or "C" channel. If I welded it for a higher ride height this would work fine. Have you ever welded anything?? If you have then you would know that this would be MUCH stronger than any 2 bolts...
Old 12-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-TUNDRA
ALL these axles are aligned by bending the axles. I don't see why not? If I wanted to raise my ride height I could. Like I said I could "UNIVERSALLY" make my ride height higher without going to a different down angle and keep the "stock" angle. This IS what AS engineered into the trailer. The bolts are what the trailer rides on NOT the frame or "C" channel. If I welded it for a higher ride height this would work fine. Have you ever welded anything?? If you have then you would know that this would be MUCH stronger than any 2 bolts...
You are correct about the wedling..it is much stronger. I am a bit unsure about airstream designing this feature in to the trailor, especially the 70's like ours. If you wanted to raise the height then you would also have to "add" height to the axle mounting plates (with a doubler plate) for the purpose of "mating" the axle into the "cut-outs". As for welding I have performed quite a bit of work to my '74 to correct the sag issues, and I am currently replacing the tongue on my '56 from ball to roughly 80" back.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
It was a thought you could do if you wanted. I'm happy with the ride I have now after the new axles were installed. Man, what an improvement it made. I had the rear sag fixed before I purchased the AS It has the frame kit on there now. That kit was WAY over priced for what it is. Good luck on the restore.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
I am with ya on the ride of new axles. I did the '74 last spring and it was day and night difference(axle replacement I and II by Rhonda). My '74 had the elephant ears on it as well as the doublers on the axle plates already, so the sag was well..sagging but nothing else. The restore is starting on the '56 and it is just about all I think about. I have been purchasing parts and in the next week or two I will be splicing in the tongue and getting it road worthy which will include a new Dexter sprung axle complete with brakes of course.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There is "no" torsion axle adjustment for one side.

If you elevated the axle on one side, then the other side would also be in a twist fit vertically.

When a torsion axle goes bad, it's bad. When one side goes bad, the axle is done.

There is no fix or remedy, short of replacement, unless you don't mind beating the trailer to pieces.

Changing the height by raising the entire axle, can be done, but should not be done unless experienced.

Welding is an art. Unless your an excellent welder, leave that kind of work to a pro, especially when dealing with a frame.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:22 AM   #13
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The axle tubes ride directly on the frame on our trailer, the bolts just keep the axles from flying out from under it while towing. There are NO elongated holes anywhere, either on the trailer or the axles. Our trailer sits 1/2" lower on the right side, even with new axles, and has since the day it was built. I know this because there was a repair order about it dated from 1974, and the technician's finding? "NPF". For you non-technical folks, that means No Problem Found.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:25 AM   #14
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Another method for uneven side to side height is to shift weight.

Empty a tank. Move a battery. Or???

Excluding a bad axle, if the tires are wearing evenly and the trailer does not dog leg you might leave the condition alone.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Action is offline   Reply With Quote