Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Tire Wear

After nearly 40k miles on our 2009 27 FB, my trailer has developed a tire wear issue.

When I first noticed it, the trailer had about 35K on the original Marathons.

We were on our way home from a 2 week, long mileage trip and during my morning "pre-flight" I notice wire showing through the tread and heavy wear on the outer edge of the tire. The tread had also separated in the middle of the tire.

I figured the wear and separation to simply be part of the known Marathon issues. The tires were 3 years old, had lots of miles, and I was planning on replacing them after that trip any way.

So, I counted my stars for getting away with it, found a tire shop and had new ST tires mounted. It was a Goodyear tire shop, but they did not recommend the Marathon and sold me another brand.

We finished the trip and no worries.

Now, after about 5k, I have noticed the edge worn off the outside tread of the rear curb side tire. The tread wear is flat and even on the rest of that tire, and the other three.

I don't recall a hard curb hit, but it can't be ruled out.

I am thinking of simply replacing that axle.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or comments.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
If a curb were hit hard enough, then the axle alignment could be the issue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
JD,
Anywhere around you that can check the camber on that wheel? sounds like you may have a bit too much positive camber. which is odd as most deficiencies are on the negative side.
I'm sure you keep up on them, but is it possible that tire ran a little low on pressure?
We just had to put a new set on in WA state during a trip and the wear was a little wonky, even after rotating them regularly
I may swing up to the mother ship and have the alignment checked in the spring.
Eric & Summer
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
You have a camber issue with that axle. Find an alignment shop that can fit it on their alignment rack and have them check is and they should should be able to bend the axle and straighten it. (They bend them from the factory to align them.) $1500.00 to replace probably less than $150.00 to align. I know the choice I would make.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Could also be a bad tire. I would rotate another tire to it and see what happens before I replaced the axle.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Perhaps a loose/bad bearing...?

Sent from my XT907 using Airstream Forums mobile app

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I have considered the alignment solution, but there are several issues with that.

Finding a shop that will even talk about it, let alone I would trust to fix more problems than they create is turning out to be a tall order.

A trip to Jackson Center would end up costing as much as the axle.

I will get it on jack stands this weekend and see what I can measure out.

Thanks to all.

Regards,

JD

Old 02-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Ok, an update.

I decided to crawl under the trailer and have a look see for myself.

I had replaced the axles on our previous trailer, an 1981 International, so I had an idea of what to expect.

But, the axle mounting on this trailer is completely different. The mounting plates on the old trailer and axles had very specific holes and there was no adjustment whatsoever in mounting. Just remove the bolts, drop the old and in with the new.

The plates and frame on this 2009 trailer had vertical slots in both the axle plates and the mounting plates on the frame, so the axle could be adjusted up and down, and a little from to back.

Needless to say this seems like a weak link, because the axle alignment is reliant on the tightness of the bolts "squeezing" the plates together.

There seemed to be a rusty ring that indicated the axle had slipped along the slots.

Carefully measuring, the front axle was equal installed with equal measurements from side to side, and the effected axle would have been equal if it had not slipped.

So, we loosened the out-of-postion end and corrected the placement to equal the measurements of the opposite side from reference points on the frame.

Then we re-torqued the mounting bolts to "holy crap I can't believe it didn't break or strip" foot-pounds with a known good air-driven impact gun.

I repacked all four bearings and swapped the worn tire with one from the other side.

We shall see.

Regards,

JD

Old 02-04-2014, 05:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
that is too funny.. the goodyear tire shop NOT recommending their tire.. guess there might be some validity to the marathon tire fitness issue..

glad it all worked out.

got any picture of the mounting area?. would be cool to see. We are think about the 09 27' FB and need to put this in my memory bank for future use.

how would changing out bolt, nuts etc with a grade 8, if not already, and torque them down to higher rating help out.

just thinking out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
After nearly 40k miles on our 2009 27 FB, my trailer has developed a tire wear issue.

When I first noticed it, the trailer had about 35K on the original Marathons.

So, I counted my stars for getting away with it, found a tire shop and had new ST tires mounted. It was a Goodyear tire shop, but they did not recommend the Marathon and sold me another brand.

Regards,

JD
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #10
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Ok, an update.

I decided to crawl under the trailer and have a look see for myself.

I had replaced the axles on our previous trailer, an 1981 International, so I had an idea of what to expect.

But, the axle mounting on this trailer is completely different. The mounting plates on the old trailer and axles had very specific holes and there was no adjustment whatsoever in mounting. Just remove the bolts, drop the old and in with the new.

The plates and frame on this 2009 trailer had vertical slots in both the axle plates and the mounting plates on the frame, so the axle could be adjusted up and down, and a little from to back.

Needless to say this seems like a weak link, because the axle alignment is reliant on the tightness of the bolts "squeezing" the plates together.

There seemed to be a rusty ring that indicated the axle had slipped along the slots.

Carefully measuring, the front axle was equal installed with equal measurements from side to side, and the effected axle would have been equal if it had not slipped.

So, we loosened the out-of-postion end and corrected the placement to equal the measurements of the opposite side from reference points on the frame.

Then we re-torqued the mounting bolts to "holy crap I can't believe it didn't break or strip" foot-pounds with a known good air-driven impact gun.

I repacked all four bearings and swapped the worn tire with one from the other side.

We shall see.

Regards,

JD

JD,

Remember that once a tire wears in a certain pattern, it doesn't "un-wear". Any new tire wear pattern will be on top of whatever is already there. Some times new patterns will erase the old pattern, but usually not.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:22 AM   #11
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Doesn't take much to ruin a tire. I'd go with new.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote