Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rockville , Maryland
Three inch rule

I'm just a newbie but picked up the three-inch rule somewhere: when you jack up the side of the trailer, the wheels should hang down about 3". Is this a valid rule of thumb?

md

Hey, while I'm at it, how and where do I post a picture to get help ID'ing my AS?
doctormark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Not sure, I you trying to figure out if you need new axles?

Just post the serial number and someone can id it...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormark View Post
I'm just a newbie but picked up the three-inch rule somewhere: when you jack up the side of the trailer, the wheels should hang down about 3". Is this a valid rule of thumb?

md

Hey, while I'm at it, how and where do I post a picture to get help ID'ing my AS?
There is an article in Airstream Central, that will help you check your axles out, which will also answer your axle question.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:

md

Hi md, Take a look here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f40/. All the info on axles you can handle and more.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
If you have the original 15" wheels, that figure is probably close. You've got 37 year old rubber torsion axles, it would be a miracle if they were still good. My advice would be to just replace them and be done with it.
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rockville , Maryland
Anyone know about what a new axle costs?
doctormark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Anyone know about what a new axle costs?
There are two popular ways to go.

First is Dura Torque (Henshchen) at inlandrv. These axles are direct bolt in. They run about 1k plus. Don't forget shipping.

Second is Dexter. You will have to do some measuring but you will save 1/3 to 1/2 over the Dura Torque. You can get them in your area (Maryland).

Take a look here Axles. It's allot to read but well worth it. Maybe someone the forums can direct you to there favorite axle thread. Good luck.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Don't get too anal if you don't have exactly 3", you should have at least 2. The point is as the rubber in the axle gets hard from age and disuse the axle looses it's resiliency and ability to absorb road shock which is then transfered directly to the coach. Which is a bad thing.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverleeper View Post
There are two popular ways to go.

First is Dura Torque (Henshchen) at inlandrv. These axles are direct bolt in. They run about 1k plus. Don't forget shipping.

We respectfullt request that if your going to quote our prices, please do them as they are, and not inflated by one third, as you quoted.

Our web site clearly spells out the price of the axles, both bare and complete.

Shipping is always extra, unless someone wants a factory pickup.

Thank you.

Andy
Old 07-22-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Don't get too anal if you don't have exactly 3", you should have at least 2. The point is as the rubber in the axle gets hard from age and disuse the axle looses it's resiliency and ability to absorb road shock which is then transfered directly to the coach. Which is a bad thing.
Yes, very bad. Once I got my new Axles on at inland RV. The ride home to Colorado was like pulling a new trailer... I couldn't believe the difference it made...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
We respectfullt request that if your going to quote our prices, please do them as they are, and not inflated by one third, as you quoted.
Just sharing my experiences - when I ordered my Henschen axle from Inland in 2005, with shipping it totalled over $1k. Sorry for the confusion, I was just trying to help out another forums member. He wanted to know what an axle can cost, and shipping is a factor if you aren't near the factory or don't have a local shop to do the work (or have a business to ship to!)

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

Old 07-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Freight

Motor freight lines, have seemingly, joined the ranks of some airline companies.

They charge about $80.00 more for a residential delivery.

They charge extra if the delivery is out of their "normal" routing.

They charge $25.00 to $40.00 to call a customer.

If they don't call, and attempt to make a delivery, and no one is home, they add an extra charge.

It's a learning curve not only for individuals, but for businesses alike.

Everytime we feel we have a handle on all their gimicks, it's seems like they dream up another one.

We just received some photo's from one of our customers, in California, that purchased a pair of axles, that we shipped bolted together, strapped to a large pallet, covered with shrink wrap, and the freight line managed to twist two of the shock brackets almost 90 degrees from their original position, and covered up the damage by rearranging the shrink wrap. Not a bend mind you, but a twist. WOW !!!!

What can all of us do?

We must all work together, and watch for any damage to any shipment, be it by Fedex, UPS, Postal, or motor freight.

Make the driver write on the paperwork, that there is some damage, and then call whoever made that shipment to you, immediately. Open all packages immediately after receipt to inspect for any internal damage. If internal damage is noted, report it to the shipper immediately. IF NOT REPORTED FOR EVEN A COUPLE OF DAYS, THE FREIGHT CARRIERS WILL USUALLY DENY THE CLAIM.

As an example, Yellow freight was always fairly good with their rates. They have now joined Roadway. Since that marriage has taken place, the extra charges for many other things now take place, to the extent that the shipping rates, from them, are almost double. The motor freight lines game started with the "fuel surcharges", and have since grown to be sometimes ridiculous.

Needless to say, they lost our business.

Airstream for many many years has always used UPS, until recently. Thor put a deal together with Fedex, that has reduced the shipping charges of parts to dealers as well as drop shipping to customers. That helps all of us.

Shipment damages are on the rise. How could a freight carrier break a Lexan window? Who knows, but they did.

How could a freight carrier bend a rear access door for a 68 Airstream, almost in half? Who knows, but they did. Then the fun starts with claims. They all say "improper packaging." Hogwash. It's nothing more than a sorry excuse.

But, when these things happen, it then usually becomes a battle to have them accept blame for their abusive freight handling. I assure you, that they put up a good fight.

Where this will stop, I have no idea. But we all, must work together, should any damage occur in any shipment.

It almost seems that employees in a freight terminal, try their darndest to see how much abuse a shipment or package can tolerate.

Hang in there folks. It may get better in time, but labor today, in many areas, leaves much to be desired.

Andy