Old 09-06-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Question Things to check prior to towing a trailer which has not moved in 4 years!

Hi all. Thinking about purchasing a trailer (mid-90s Excella) which has not been moved in 4 years. It has basically been sitting partially on jacks and partially on its own four tires. Prior to moving this trailer (I was going to tow it to the gas station to put air in the tires ~6miles) what should I do/check for to assure a safe 8+ hour tow back home? Should I get a compressor and fill the tires where it sits and then move it?

Old 09-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Pelham , New Hampshire
Yes, you should make sure the tires are up to the correct towing pressure because a soft tire will heat up and can fall apart. Also if they have been sitting that long they may have dry rot so it's better to find out while the trailer is sitting rather then on the road. Also you need to check the brakes and the lights.

Good luck!

bobandcarla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Streamer1 -
I'd bring along a compressor. If the tires have been sitting for years, tire pressure will be very low. I'd pump up the tires, then tow to town and buy new tires (many suggest replacing tires every 5 years, whether used for towing or not, when a trailer will be on the road.) Be sure to have the wheel bearings inspected and re-packed at the same time. Then start for home.
I recently bought a much older trailer ('59) and I have a 3-4 day tow trip coming up. I'm bringing a loaded-for-bear tool kit, rope/bungee cords/duct tape/quick ties, soldering gun, rivet gun, grease gun, floor jack and jack stands, . . . I can carry a lot in the back end of my pick up - I'd err on the side of bringing too much, and try to be ready for surprises.
Some good advice given to me: make sure the door, all windows, and roof vents are securely closed before you reach highway speeds.
Mark
Old 09-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Smile

Good points! I shall heed your advice. Anybody else have things to consider?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Have a method to change a flat tire; lug wrench, jack, boards to raise one wheel, wheel chocks.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I just brought mine home, it was sitting 5 years.

I bought 4 new ST tires at 65lbs

Pulled all brake drums inspected and repacked bearings.

check clean harness, then check lites brakes etc.

Drove 200 miles no problems

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
towing

If at all possible Have somebody near the tires while the trailer is being pullled out to listen for clicking or other noise that may mean trouble for on the road. Also if a brake hangs up pay close attention when going to the gas station for overheating it may mean your magnet is rusted to the rim or a spring on the shoes broke. ussually from sitting the shoe material becomes loose. If it pulls right out and no real noises then you will probably be OK.
AAA has towing ins roadside assitance or tow truck service for less than $100.00. Hope this helps ( just walk next to the trailer dont get to close while it is moving)
Old 09-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamer1
Hi all. Thinking about purchasing a trailer (mid-90s Excella) which has not been moved in 4 years. It has basically been sitting partially on jacks and partially on its own four tires. Prior to moving this trailer (I was going to tow it to the gas station to put air in the tires ~6miles) what should I do/check for to assure a safe 8+ hour tow back home? Should I get a compressor and fill the tires where it sits and then move it?

Check out the axles.

A torsion axle can go bead simply by not exercising the rubber rods.
i
If they are bad, the trailer will bottom out when hitting bumps, which can result in damage to many parts of the trailer.

If they are damaged, do not tow over 50 mph or so.

To check them out, go to,

http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/dur...axle-92001.htm

Andy
Old 09-06-2006, 05:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Streamer1, the hitch height on your tow vehicle needs to match the hitch height on the trailer so that the trailer tows level, and the electrical connection on the umbilical cord needs to match the connector on the rear of the tow vehicle. (Take a multi-meter for fault-finding this, and any non-functioning rear lights and indicators). A load distribution hitch may be required, and, of course, to state the obvious, the tow vehicle needs to be adequate.
My apologies if this is all too obvious.
Nick.
Old 09-06-2006, 05:24 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Wow. Great insight. Thanks everybody!
Old 09-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #11
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
When it says the ball height is 19" is that to the top---middle of the ball?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 07:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I measure to the top.
Nick.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
Streamer 1

I just bought a coach that had been sitting for about 7 years. It was not my first trailer, so even before seeing it, I had planned on buying new tires. I got five goodyear marathons (it has a spare) fron tie rack ($82 each) and had them shipped to my home. I carried them with me to the trailer about 400 miles away. I had called ahead and found a nearby Wal Mart that would mount, balance, new valve stem and disposal for about $12 per tire. I'm not driving on old tires with that much weight in the mountains with my children in the car.

When I arrived, the frame was solid but the brakes did not work. I had arranged to bring the trailer to a nearby RV service center. The service manager rewired my ubilical cord to a 7 pole flat, got the brakes working as well as the brake, backup and running lights. I had already installed the Prodigy brake controller that was a plug and play deal in my 2005 GMC pick-up.

The tow home was taken very slow (50-55 mph) as the axles were 10 degrees above the frame. I had no problems and do not regret spending the money up front for safety.

These are not requirements but anything less could pose a real threat to yourself, your family and others on the road. Good luck and let us know how it goes. I'm always available to answer questions. I feel that you should drive like your life depends on it.

Joe
Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Arlington , Virginia
Smile

Thanks Joe.