Old 09-07-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
Take some Fix-A-Flat

I recently moved mine that had set at least two years. The pressure was low but thought I could make it to the station. It didn't happen. I poped a seal with-in two feet. While it was getting fixed I put a can of Fix-a-Flat in each of the other tires. It got me home(less than 10 miles). I also had two vehicles loaded with tools.

Good Luck

Joe

Old 09-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
You might want to take some spare light bulbs in case the brake turn lights don't work.

Bungee cords and duct tape for issues that you have not considered.

And move any loose items inside to the floor. Hey if it could fall it might. Unless it's already on the floor.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

Old 09-16-2006, 05:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
Sounds like I need to think along the lines of Mcgyver (sp?)!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
And not least - ensure the entry door will not pop open from worn striker or plate, loose hardware, etc.. I can't begin to imagine a project trailers problems amplified on day-one by door damage.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Streamer1,

To some degree that is true. And as posted above I have seen pics of the door coming open and breaking off the hinge. Unfortunately the door opens up with the opening facing the on coming wind. The force usually takes the door off the trailer.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Seattle (Auburn), WA , I still love my dirty water and my Red Sox-originally from Boston!
Send a message via AIM to SUEHOWIE Send a message via Yahoo to SUEHOWIE
I would be interested in hearing about your final experience with towing-I am moving a 1957 Overlander that has been sitting for about 12 years, 50 miles or so. Thanks! Sue
Old 09-28-2008, 02:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Sue - some thoughts on the recovery that I learned from my 63 Tradewind that I bought in Granite Falls -

Assume the lights won't work. Either get some trailer lights to use (a long cord with just two lights on the ends. They use magnets to attach to the bumper... bring duct tape incase the bumper is aluminum). The trailer umbilical cord is probably a 7 round pin vs. today's more common 7 blade style.. so it probably won't just plug in. This means no brakes. Take it slow, the trailer will be light enough for the truck, but be careful! The CYB sentence - I in no way endorse this, but it can be done.... : )

No lights during the day is less noticable....

Bring a floor jack to lift the trailer tongue if the tongue jack doesn't work.

Bring some way to inflate those tires if you intend to use them to get home... 12v or floor pump, your choice. IF you use the tires, then go slow... If you aren't repacking the hubs, stop after about 5 miles and check the hubs (touch the centers softly), they shouldn't be hot. Then check again after a few miles.

MOST IMPORTANT.. go to a licence renewal center and get a three day trip pass. That trailer hasn't been tagged in awhile.. don't want a ticket on your way home. My trailer was last tagged in 1975!! If you have a title, you need a bill of sale to complete the transaction when you get to the licence place. The Bill of sale needs a price, vin#, parties involved, and sigs of everybody. If no title, get a signed, notorized form from the Licence place with the sellers notorized sig.

Remember - 2" ball.
Find some way (bunge cords from the inside works), make the deadbolt close, to keep that door shut. The suicide doors may spring open from the wind.. that's not fun!

Have fun! Let us know how it goes!
Marc
Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Also Sue the thread you posted to is 2 years old. Hopefully the thread starter will respond, however it may be that he did not buy the subject trailer.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #23
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Streamer1,

I'd for SURE check the fridge: you could be out of beer!
Old 10-08-2008, 10:28 AM   #24
Tom

1976 29' Ambassador
Parksley , Virginia
Be prepared

I just did the same thing, 460 miles with a 76 AS that had been setting 3 years. I brought a small compressor, four cans of fixaflat, and a seven pin plug that fit my truck and used it all. Tires looked good, so I drove about 10 miles stopped and touched each hub, they where warm but not hot. If you use your breaks they will be at least warm. If you ran the first few miles without the breaks connected they should be cool.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #25

1969 31' Sovereign
Danville , Alabama
Working on my list.

I've been preparing a list for a week and picked up a few good suggestions here today (just joined today too). Just scored a deal from my inlaws to inherit a 1969 31' Soveriegn that has been sitting since 1981. Going with new tires, repacked bearings, temporary lights, and not using the trailer brakes. Attempting 450 miles from Louisiana to North Alabama this weekend. I have two questions.

1. This trailer has an electronic jack (Jac-Power-Pac) with two bare wires coming off of it. I can't find anything on this accessory so I'm going to assume I have to remove it and use a manual jack. Is there an override handle I haven't found?

2. The temporary 3 day tag that 3Ms75Argosy mentioned. Is that from the state of residence? State where the trailer is from or going to??

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Since you are getting from inlaws,{and if you plan on using it soon],go ahead and transfer title and get a real plate.If you are planning on keeping it off road to restore ,get a temp in what ever state the inlaws live in.If you are pulling a 31 footer for 450 miles you better have a big tow vehicle,and even then I wouldn`t do it.If you are going to pack bearings,check brakes,they may be in workable condition,you are going to have to put a brake contoller on TV,might as well do it now,and be safe.
Dave
Old 10-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartlandusa View Post
This trailer has an electronic jack (Jac-Power-Pac) with two bare wires coming off of it. I can't find anything on this accessory so I'm going to assume I have to remove it and use a manual jack. Is there an override handle I haven't found?
If you remove the cover from the power head (might be held on by a couple of allen screws) there should be a recess in the top vertical area of the power head that will turn the motor (or an intermediate gear) via a large "screw driver" type of drive, also might be a hex drive....the manual drive mechanism will very likely be covered with grease - dig out the grease on the top of the power head and you should find something there.
Most of the power heads have only one lead going to them - the positive from the battery----is there a switch on the head???

There is a possibility that the action of the jack could be reversed by alternating the polarity of the two leads - I think I would check it out very thoroughly prior to shooting the juice to it in order to prevent damage to the motor.

Another thing to do is to service the power head - lubricate the interior mechanism, especially the screw drive (driving gear), and clean and change out the grease in the gear section of the motor....

I agree with the previous comments about the brakes - it's cheaper to change out the entire backing plate rather than mess with individual parts - or course, you will very likely find that the axles are shot after sitting in one place for nearly 30 years, in which case changing the entire axle, bearing, brake, and rotor assembly is by far the most ecomical way to go....

The list of required decisions goes on and on.....

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do, and keep the Forums posted...

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM   #28
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The 3 day tag would be state specific. Arizona issues one and it costs $1.00 and it is issued on line. It can be renewed one time only. I pulled my trailer from Ohio to AZ. I printed my tag and had the effecive date the day I estimated I would be picking up the trailer. (I was off my estimated time and mileage by 30 minutes and 6 miles) Check with your state. I think I could have pulled it with no current tag at all. I did it over the weekend and no official even took a 2nd look.

You may be able to get the jack to work with a 12v battery. Touch the wires to each post of the battery. If the direction of the jack needs to be reversed, reverse the wires to the battery. This all assumes the jack motor works.

>>>>>>>>>>Action