Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2008, 06:54 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I have new axles coming, I will try to take some pic's of in and out. Hey Guys Lets just see how much problem an old feller of 70 yrs young does with a pair of Henshens. STAY TUNED! Andy knows Im a man of my word and I will report it honestly.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Question new axle alignment

Hey, do brand new Dexter axles usually need to be aligned? So far I only changed out one of my 2 axles, and yes I am doing them both. After being up on the blocks and doing some other stuff on the belly pan I pulled the coach off the blocks and noticed the camber on one wheel on one side is different than the camber on the other wheel on that side (one new axle one old). I have not noticed any unusual tire wear on the tire on the old axle. I used a floor jack in the middle of the new axle to get the axle in an approximate position and got the axle in final position with a bottle jack on each side. I don't think I over did it jacking it up, but I've never done this kind of thing before. Could I have made a big boo boo and jacked up the floor jack too much? I would like to think the brand new axle is aligned properly by the factory and the excessive camber is more likely on the old 37 year old axle. The service manual says "camber is the smallest offender of alignment problems since it has to be extremely out of tolerance before any great tire wear is noticed".
Old 06-05-2008, 08:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I have noticed that my new axles seem to let the tires move around more than the old if the load is uneven. Its therefore possible that your new axle is loaded funny because of the worn old one. I suspect that during installation a floor jack would have to push pretty had to deflect the new axle past it's point of elasticity and permanately deform.
Stick in the second axle and park on a level spot, all tires will probably look normal!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When All Else Fails, Read the Destructions

Just looked up axle removal and replacement in the service manual. Says use a floor jack in the middle of the axle