Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice Job Lou! Looks like she'll be towing like a dream now! G'd luck on the trip home!

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 05-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #114
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Nice Job Lou! Looks like she'll be towing like a dream now! G'd luck on the trip home!
I made a promise to everyone on the forum when I started my thread about cheap fridges and A/C units!
I am here to help all of us save a little money. My Minuet is a guinea pig of sorts! In the 22 years I have been restoring these trailers I have learned that there is nothing that we cannot do ourselves on them. It just takes a little patience and ingenuity.
Let's hope she makes it home ok and all of you can get an axle for under $300!

Old 05-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #115
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I made a promise to everyone on the forum when I started my thread about cheap fridges and A/C units!
I am here to help all of us save a little money. My Minuet is a guinea pig of sorts! In the 22 years I have been restoring these trailers I have learned that there is nothing that we cannot do ourselves on them. It just takes a little patience and ingenuity.
Let's hope she makes it home ok and all of you can get an axle for under $300!
You don't ROCK, Lou!

Well you DO, but well, you know!!!

I just can't get over the prices on those axles!

Old 05-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
You don't ROCK, Lou!

Well you DO, but well, you know!!!

I just can't get over the prices on those axles!
I know, if you say I rock then it will go straight to my head! Then I won't be able to get through doorways, wear a hat, etc...
I am cool though!
That is an UNREAL price though!
I had NO idea how little it would be when I first took it down to Axis Products!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
We are in! Had a great chat with Henry today very helpful and informative. We will be sending off our requirements for a formal quote. And hope to get MoonBeam back on the road in the next couple of months.

This Forum/Community is a great resource! Consumers should always have a choice and be able to form their own opinion - WITHOUT recourse for the decisions we make.

Many people have different needs and face different barriers when it comes to our Airstreams - (painted or unpainted /clothed or naked)

Places like this where ideas are presented, researched, tested and the results are offered to the general public to help make their decision on the route that best serves their needs are invaluable and represent the true meaning of the word "Forum".

We have different needs here in Canada - and our "Buck" is already behind yours by 30% - we don't make more than you in fact we make less - so when you factor that in along with our "wonderful" taxes 15% - unfortunately "Price" plays a big role in our decisions. However - if you are lucky enough to find the same quality and fit with a product such as what Axis Products promises to deliver - then (for us) it is a pretty easy decision.

The price is more than right
The quality is there
The requirements are met - standard and spec wise
They are within a days drive
They are friendly
They don't get into "fish pond wars"
They treat you the same as if you were giving them an order for one - or a 100 axles.

A big thank you to Lou for sharing his adventure with us! This Forum for providing an A1 platform to research from the comfort of our own homes (or offices for those who have nothing better to do - or just do not like working on anything other than your airstreams) and to all of you who make up the opinion pool.

This just might warrant at least 2 cases of Molson ICE!!!! And a nice new shinny aluminum cooler too if we can find one up here..
Old 05-03-2005, 04:11 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
A big thank you to Lou for sharing his adventure with us! This Forum for providing an A1 platform to research from the comfort of our own homes (or offices for those who have nothing better to do - or just do not like working on anything other than your airstreams) and to all of you who make up the opinion pool.

This just might warrant at least 2 cases of Molson ICE!!!! And a nice new shinny aluminum cooler too if we can find one up here..
isn't an Airstream a "shiny aluminum cooler" in Canada?
Old 05-03-2005, 06:10 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Got some pics of the finished Axis Product Minuet!

Take a look at these pictures!
The pictures are a little dark but that is because my trailer has been sitting inside out of the cold at Axis Products!
It is all done and ready to roll!
The height I have gained is with the standard 22.5 degree angle. I am pretty sure that the Minuet had about a 10-15 degree angle when it was built. If you look at the pictures in the Photos section you will see the brochure from 1978. The Minuets were designed with a lower center of gravity.
If you look, I have right at 25.5 inches using the "Janet scale of measurement" (I like that scale, really easy for all of us to use).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole trailer01.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	11945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole trailer02.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	11946  

Old 05-03-2005, 09:35 PM   #120
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Talking

Quote:
"I actually found the number in a post on here. I double checked it with the Gabriel number and everything was cool!
I am not sure if they use a "special" shock, but to me if the replacement works I will darn sure use it.
"Myth busted"!
Monroe Gas Magnum RV shock #555003
Old 05-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #121
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
isn't an Airstream a "shiny aluminum cooler" in Canada?
Now that you mention it - every picture we have of you know who there is a beer bottle in the picture and an empty one at that

Serious question related to this thread.

Is there a specific area/place where the "down angle" of the torsion arm is stated for older Airstreams. Can not seem to find it in the owners manual - or could it be in the 73 service manual - if so would that still hold true for the 69 Globe Trotter??? 4000lb rated axle?

Thanks ahead for any info on this point.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:16 PM   #122
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Axis Axle

This Is The Most Important Development On This Forum That I Have Seen Since I Started Looking At It Over A Year Ago ... This Is Like
The S.e.m.a Show For Airstreams.... And I Hope This Is Just A Beginning ... There Are So Many Of Us That We Can Surely Come Up With Some More Great Ideas ... Like Lou...
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 PM   #123
Rivet Master

Quote:
Now that you mention it - every picture we have of you know who there is a beer bottle in the picture and an empty one at that

Serious question related to this thread.

Is there a specific area/place where the "down angle" of the torsion arm is stated for older Airstreams. Can not seem to find it in the owners manual - or could it be in the 73 service manual - if so would that still hold true for the 69 Globe Trotter??? 4000lb rated axle?

Thanks ahead for any info on this point.
Sharon and Peter,
Check your GVWR of the trailer. I would strongly suggest to not grossly exceed this. A dealer is being sued for this same thing. Exceeding the GVWR.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:38 PM   #124
Rivet Master

I think a collection is in order!

Considering ALL I have done for all of you I think you should all chip in on my axle!
Do I need to get out a tim can?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #125
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Considering ALL I have done for all of you I think you should all chip in on my axle!
Do I need to get out a tim can?
Hmmm the key word being "chip" how about some ice chips for that beer you have been drinking too much of

The original tag on the Duro-torque on our Globe Trotter IS 4000lbs. We do not have a tag anywhere that indicates gross vehicle weight rating.

From what I have seen here most GVWR and axle ratings provide for about 500 - 1000lb carrying capacity - this room allows for option upgrades, liquids and cargo (and Molson Ice! either in liquid or solid form).

Going by the dry weight of 3330 lbs gives our rig 670lbs There is an air conditioner & Awning/ 125lbs and if our 3 main liquids are full (2 30lbLP tanks/60lbs, 6 gal HWT/49.8lbs and a 30 gal Fresh Water Tank/249 lbs) That is a total of 483.8lbs That leaves only 186.2lbs for cargo!......
....the aircondintioner and awning have to go we can run a fan over the Moslon Ice and duct tape the cases for a CB or BC Awning

Andy at Inland had mentioned that we could push the axle up to a 4500 but then we would always have to travel with water in our fresh water tank to keep the rig set up good. We thought of this for a bit and then our Winter has to be considered - as we do travel most during the winter it would be an issue. I suppose we could store weights instead - but then what do you do with the extra weight when you are south of the "freeze" line.

Nope 4000 is what she was original rated for so that is what we will stick with - she has lasted 35 years so bringing her back to spec should do just fine (including the airstream shocks) besides she is not big enough to store everything but the kitchen sink - a bit of food, bar of soap and a change of clothes did I miss anything ....oh yes and a case or two of Molson Ice ...make that 4 - 2 for Lou.....
Old 05-04-2005, 07:42 AM   #126
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
The original tag on the Duro-torque on our Globe Trotter IS 4000lbs. We do not have a tag anywhere that indicates gross vehicle weight rating.Nope 4000 is what she was original rated for so that is what we will stick with - she has lasted 35 years so bringing her back to spec should do just fine (including the airstream shocks)
My Argosy 20 has a 4500 pound axle from the factory, supposed GVW is 3500, but after looking around, found some documentation that it is closer to 4000. On a single-axle trailer.
The lower -rated axle will give a softer ride, and throw your stuff around less.

Closed Thread