Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 06:12 AM   #161
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Looks like you got your last rivet, just a tad before midnight last night! Squeaked that one in by a thread!

Riveting, isn't it?

Mary
Old 05-09-2005, 07:08 AM   #162
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Cool...I believe in the axle fairies.

You calling them he men Indiana guys fairies? Whoa! Gotta catch you on that one, Lou!!!

Looks like you'll be getting 500 rivets shortly! Congrats!

Mary
Hey Lou, now I’m bent. You are an “Axle Jedi” and a “Rivet Master”. Me, I’m an “Axle Fairy”. I have to agree with Mary, this doesn’t seem quite right.

This is all in good fun – right?

Seriously, congratulations on Rivet Master Lou!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:23 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Sharon is right. Man, I hate admitting that publicly!
!

Your'e starting to sound like my Husband -

So that is what you have been up to! Shall I now bow humbly at the a....xle of thy Rivet Master Congrats Lou - you have the gift of Gab

Hey Axleman I would not call him the Axle Jedi - you hold that title - besides if you give Lou all this recognition and beer - he is likely to start another interesting thread

Soon thy humble Rivet Master Soon

Getting real excited and looking forward to a road trip soon with the old axle - I guess we have to get that puppy off soon - anyone have any good suggestions for blocking up your trailer for an extended period of time?
Old 05-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #164
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Your'e starting to sound like my Husband -

So that is what you have been up to! Shall I now bow humbly at the a....xle of thy Rivet Master Congrats Lou - you have the gift of Gab

Hey Axleman I would not call him the Axle Jedi - you hold that title - besides if you give Lou all this recognition and beer - he is likely to start another interesting thread

Soon thy humble Rivet Master Soon

Getting real excited and looking forward to a road trip soon with the old axle - I guess we have to get that puppy off soon - anyone have any good suggestions for blocking up your trailer for an extended period of time?
You have it all wrong my young Axle Student. I am the Alxe Jedi and Axleman is the Axle Master.
I have traveled the long distance home with an Axis Products axle under my "spaceship Minuet". That makes me an Axle Jedi. The Axle Master is he who knows ALL about the Torsion Axle Universe!
I am but a humble servant to the Axle Master. I weild the light saber of Axle Truth!
Beer is what the Axle Jedi consumes to commune with the Axle Spirits!
I am a very humble Rivet Master. This was the last step in becoming an Axle Jedi!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:41 AM   #165
Rivet Master

Quote:
Looks like you got your last rivet, just a tad before midnight last night! Squeaked that one in by a thread!

Riveting, isn't it?

Mary
Your puns are so, uh, riveting!
Please do not bow before the Rivet Master.
I am an Axle Jedi before I am a Rivet Master!
Old 05-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #166
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Hey Lou, now I’m bent. You are an “Axle Jedi” and a “Rivet Master”. Me, I’m an “Axle Fairy”. I have to agree with Mary, this doesn’t seem quite right.

This is all in good fun – right?

Seriously, congratulations on Rivet Master Lou!
You may be an axle fairy but you are the Axle Master above all axle fairies!
It is crazy little posts like this one that got me my Rivet Master status!
Old 05-09-2005, 11:21 AM   #167
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Deepest regrest about the airy fairy stuff, but remember, I appreciate fairies! I'm afraid I don't know about the Jedi Axle trip Lou is on, as I have not watched any of the new Star Wars movies...

So, would you need to have a trailer in your shop to make up an axle? I just couldn't get my trailer all the way out to Indiana (remember, it has just about the oldest torsion axles around on it).

Mary
Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #168
Rivet Master

Quote:
Deepest regrest about the airy fairy stuff, but remember, I appreciate fairies! I'm afraid I don't know about the Jedi Axle trip Lou is on, as I have not watched any of the new Star Wars movies...

So, would you need to have a trailer in your shop to make up an axle? I just couldn't get my trailer all the way out to Indiana (remember, it has just about the oldest torsion axles around on it).

Mary
Just think about the axle and the Axle Master will read your mind!
Seriously, he does not need your axle to replace it. Henry knows what to ask you to measure and he will be able to help you.
Your trailer is about ten days older than dirt too! I am surprised that it has not been declared an historical landmark!
Old 05-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #169
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Hey Peter Pan! Henry says I get my axle in about a week! Look at my new avatar.....
Old 05-09-2005, 09:04 PM   #170
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
Hey Peter Pan! Henry says I get my axle in about a week! Look at my new avatar.....
Good job!
Maybe you can do away with the low-rider look! I thought you should have done some hydraulics on it to make it bounce too!
Old 05-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #171
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Good job!
Maybe you can do away with the low-rider look! I thought you should have done some hydraulics on it to make it bounce too!
Lou, with his axle, he doesn't NEED hydraulics to make it bounce.
Has anyone gotten axles for a tandem axle Airstream from Axis yet?
Old 05-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #172
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20

Not yet but we have every intention if we can pull it off with our scheduling - to pick up the 61 Overlander and tow it straight to Indiana from Vermont.

She has the old leaf spring suspension and we want to change her out to a torsion system - but for that Axis have to have her in the flesh to make sure the set up is perfect as their will be some fabricating to do.

I will be sure to ask Henry to document the process as I am sure many on this forum have considered it with their 60's and earlier rigs.

We are doing a Hybrid on this one - so we are brain storming right now on ideas - but we do know she will be a little heavier - so we can get the running gear lined up for her new needs. We are leaning toward the Nautical interior - shapes and conveniences as well as the ambiance of the "real yachts".

This time around Peter has liberties to do what he wants - with the Globe Trotter she was kept original - just a bit of a face lift and a few minor repairs here and there - still have a bit to go before she is top notch.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #173
Rivet Master

Quote:
Not yet but we have every intention if we can pull it off with our scheduling - to pick up the 61 Overlander and tow it straight to Indiana from Vermont.

She has the old leaf spring suspension and we want to change her out to a torsion system - but for that Axis have to have her in the flesh to make sure the set up is perfect as their will be some fabricating to do.

I will be sure to ask Henry to document the process as I am sure many on this forum have considered it with their 60's and earlier rigs.

We are doing a Hybrid on this one - so we are brain storming right now on ideas - but we do know she will be a little heavier - so we can get the running gear lined up for her new needs. We are leaning toward the Nautical interior - shapes and conveniences as well as the ambiance of the "real yachts".

This time around Peter has liberties to do what he wants - with the Globe Trotter she was kept original - just a bit of a face lift and a few minor repairs here and there - still have a bit to go before she is top notch.
I keep looking for the Molson Ice but none has arrived!
When are you guys planning on heading to Axis? I have room for you should you need to stay a night before heading back! I have bed and breakfast for the two of you in exchenge for the Molson Ice!
Old 05-10-2005, 03:56 PM   #174
Rivet Master

Quote:
Terry,
Henry is quoting several tandem axle jobs right now.
Axis products makes them in all kinds of configurations. I don't think he is going to have a problem with them. As a matter of fact, I would bet money that it will be easier for him to do the tandems considering it is two axles. Axis produces A LOT of axles. I saw the facility and it is AWESOME what they do!
Old 05-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #175
Rivet Master

Quote:
Terry,
Henry is quoting several tandem axle jobs right now.
Axis products makes them in all kinds of configurations. I don't think he is going to have a problem with them. As a matter of fact, I would bet money that it will be easier for him to do the tandems considering it is two axles. Axis produces A LOT of axles. I saw the facility and it is AWESOME what they do!
My brother-in-law is going to have Henry do the tandems on his 1973 31 footer when he returns from his Memorial Day jaunt.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #176
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Lou is Right!

Quote:
Terry,

Lou is right. Tandems are not a problem.

Henry
Old 05-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #177
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Axis Products Axles

Hi All,
Henry and I spoke this morning and I firmed up exactly what I was going to order. Here is what I have ordered for a 1976 31' centerbath.
2)3700# torsion axle with camber, E coated
61.5" outside to outside mounting brackets, 80" hub face to hub face
High profile mounting brackets
22.5 degrees down starting angle torsion arms with shock mounts
12" Kodiak Disk brakes, E coated, 6 lug on 5.5" centers
Safe-T-Lube spindles
Actibrake electric over hydraulic brake activator
Brake line installation kit
Mounting bolts

Axis Products and Henry have been a real joy to work with and I would gladly suggest anyone who is thinking about replacing their axles give them the chance to quote you a price on your project.

Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Old 05-10-2005, 07:37 PM   #178
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
I keep looking for the Molson Ice but none has arrived!
When are you guys planning on heading to Axis? I have room for you should you need to stay a night before heading back! I have bed and breakfast for the two of you in exchenge for the Molson Ice!
Well - we wish we could come today! - But there are a few variables.

#1 Cash to pick up the trailer and pay for new wheels/tires and 3 axles - all coming very soon from the "Tax Man".
#2 need to arrange a good time to pick up the OLE' 61 with the present owners - they are kind enought to re-pack the bearings for us and work on changing out the wheels and tires.
#3 Timing for Peter's work

So when all three are confirmed then we will be on our way. As said earlier we are trying to do the loop instead of ON to VT back to ON then to IN - we want to do ON to VT to IN to ON - then another trip once the axles are ready to pick up everything up.

So we are looking a June more than likely or the earliest May long weekend.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:40 PM   #179
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
What is the opinion on switching to disk brakes from the electric brakes? Pros and cons from anyone?

As we are putting new axles on the OLE' 61 I guess we have some choices available to us. So we are just looking for some background on the Disc Brakes and why people are choosing them?

Thanks for any info.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #180
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
What is the opinion on switching to disk brakes from the electric brakes? Pros and cons from anyone?

As we are putting new axles on the OLE' 61 I guess we have some choices available to us. So we are just looking for some background on the Disc Brakes and why people are choosing them?
Let me start by saying I do not have a trailer with them, but I almost did. I wish I had bought it but it was back before the actibrake.

I see some big advantages.

1. Stopping power. Disc brakes offer a much improved capability to stop your rig when applied. In normal driving this may not be too much of an issue, but in a panic situation it could be the difference between a close call and a disaster. Of course the tires staying adhered to the road is a requirement, but as long as you do not lock them up, you will have shorter stopping distances.

2. Ease of maintenance. You have to remove your drum to check the wear on the shoes with traditional brakes. This means disturbing the bearings, and possibly the seal. On the Disc brakes you take off the wheel and check them. If you need to do pads, 2 pins and you can drop them in. There are even wear indicators just like on your car's brakes. And just like you cars brakes you can get parts at the local NAPA, vs having to go to a trailer supply store.

3. Fewer parts to maintain. A sealed caliper, and 2 brake pads, and a couple of pins. Compared to a drum brake with the springs, and adjusters, and magnets, less to go wrong. Also the Disc will be a better balanced rotating mass than the drum due to the fact the the cast piece is fully machined to a base spec. A drum is only machined on the inside, it can be out of balance and you may or may not be able to adjust for it.

4. If it was not a better braking system would the auto industry have moved to it over drum? I don't think so. The more expensive a car the higher likelihood that it will have 4 wheel Disc. Also If it was not a good system would the military Spec it out for their trailers. Of course they go with the stainless steel everything. Yes you can get stainless steel rotors, etc. They are made for the marine market.

5. If you are going to go to new axles, the upgrade to the Disc style is not the expensive. The controller costs a bit, but the wheel system is a minor upgrade as I understand it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Closed Thread