Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Henschen axles "DO NOT" cost $800.00.

They cost $500.00, plus additional if brakes and hubs and drums are needed.

Comparing prices is great as long as the same apple is priced out.

Some owners don't mind the design hassle, others do. Some don't mind changing the Airstream design, most others do.

Keeping an Airstream, "all Airstream", including their choices of other components, seems to be the desire of most owners.

The "LONG" term results of those changes, are at this point, pure guesses, with no factual evidence.

Andy
Well Andy, if you would read the entire thread you would see that the price IS including FULLY LOADED backing plates AND drums.
If you have something constructive to add please feel free to do so.
I am not going to let you ruin another post on me.
Please do not start a flame war here.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:28 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
axis axle

This Isn't A Design Change Its An Axle Made The Same As The Origional And It Includes The Brackets; Backing Plate And New Brakes
If That Is What I'm Understanding..
Looks Alot Like A Complete Axle Assembly .... I Think ... And It Looks Exactly Like The Airstream Axle.. it's intended to replace
.Most poeple that I come accross will admit that if something seems a bit high they will check around for a competitive price and if the product is comparable and the price is better what person wouldn't opt for saving a few hundred dollars. that is what most reasonable people that I know would do in fact that is probably what you do as well. Look for the best product price and servise and BAMM there you go....
Old 05-03-2005, 01:08 AM   #103
Rivet Master

I should be able to know how the ride is with my new axle come this Wednesday. I am going to down to pick it up then.
As for the brakes; after talking it over with Henry from Axis Products I opted for the 10" brakes.
Henry would put whatever I wanted on it. 10" or 12". It does not matter to him as long as the trailer did not warrant 12" drums.
In my case, I had 10" drums on it. I put 10" drums back on it. Henry took an hour to explain why 10" drums are used and why 12" drums are used.
The GVWR of my Minuet did not reflect the need for 12" drums. I do not see the need to overkill it.
By the way, if anyone wants to know, my local Dexter dealer quoted me $75 each for fully loaded backing plates with drums, bearings and seals. If my math serves me correctly, that would be $150 total for fully loaded backing plates. Call your local Dexter dealer, they should have them readily available.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:19 AM   #104
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Mike,
Keep us Sovereign owners updated on the pricing and options. My axles are not due for replacement...yet, I still have a decent down angle and they seem to move okay. But I am sure down the road I will want to replace them, as well as look at an upgrade for the brakes

Aaron
My brother-in-law will be replacing the axles on the Sovereign that has been in the family since it was new, 1973.
He is going to have Axis give him a quote as well. Please let all of us know of your progress for the Sovereign replacements.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:23 AM   #105
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Are you guys having a contest to see who has more ground clearance? Get your highwater pants!
HeeHee!
I totally missed this post!
I think I need a pair of Urkel pants!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:25 AM   #106
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Lou, this is astounding! Can you get me some contact info? Also, would you be willing to PM me and let me know how much approximately this should set back us single axle owners?

Also, how did your trailer handle in the snow?
Did you call Henry? Is he helping you out?
Have you been following the psots and pictures?
I think this is awesome!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:27 AM   #107
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
I just spent a while on the phone with Henry from Axis Products about their axles and what they can provide. I was very impressed with the different options available for finishes on the axles from hand painted waterbased paint all the way to a galvanized finish if thats what you want. There is a multitude of different brake systems available, electric to disk in different materials. I think that they can provide you with anything you might possibly want and seemed very responsive to satisfying any request the customer may have.
I am going to have them give me a quote on a pair of axles for my 31'.
Mike B
Mike,
Please keep us abreast of what is happening with your quote from Axis Products. I have to get a quote for the family Sovereign.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #108
Rivet Master

The axle doctor has finished surgery!

Well gang!
Here is the finished product. At least, it is some close-up shots of the finished product.
The REAL test will come with the 200 mile trip home!
I should be down there tomorrow to pick it up!
Keep yer fingers crossed!
Take a look at the job they did. I think that it is well worth the money spent on an Axis Product axle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel well height.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	11940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old trusty01.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	11941  

Name:	Old trusty02.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	11942   Click image for larger version

Name:	righthand wheel well.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	11943  

Old 05-03-2005, 10:17 AM   #109
Rivet Master

What it cost me for the axle!

I know that a lot of you have emailed and PM'd me wanting to know the cost of the axle.
Henry has just emailed me my DETAILED bill for the work done. Without going into all of the details the complete, LOADED axle with new brakes and drums was $249.00!
This was for the axle AND brakes AND drums. This did not include the water-tight bullet connectors for the brakes, the stainless steel hardware to mount everything to the trailer and the Safety-Lube spindles. Those are all little extras that Axis offers as added features. You can also choose what coating you want on your axle: hand-painted, e-coated or galvanized. My e-coating was done BEFORE the axle was assembled so that means the ENTIRE axle is coated.
But the same thing that you would get from SOB manufacturer, from Axis would be a flat $249.00. I do not think that would include shipping. I would not know, I had them install mine. No shipping involved in mine.
I am not sure if this is the true and accurate price for everyone but call Henry and find out.
Tell him, "I want mine for what Lou paid!"
Old 05-03-2005, 10:32 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Sovereign axle quote

For those of you who asked, sorry I haven't done this earlier. I have been gone riding and camping for the last three days.

Axis Products quoted me the following prices for the options I wanted.

4000# axle with Safe-T-Lube spindle, 22.5 degrees down arm, E-coated axle, 12" drums and backing plates, 6 lug on 5.5" centers, shock brackets $288.30 each

3700# axle with Safe-t-Lube spindle, 22.5 degees down arm, E-coated axle and 12" Kodiak disk brakes, 6 lug on 5.5" centers, shock brackets, $311.13 each

4000# axle with Safe-T-Lube spindle, 22.5 degrees down arm, E-coated axle and 12" Kodiak disk brakes, 6 lug on 5.5" centers, shock brackets $363.08 each
I am currently checking on freight cost to California
Mike B
1996 F350 CC PSD
Old 05-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #111
Somewhere between NY & LA

Boy, those are some reasonable prices.

He really IS the axleman.

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: https://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Old 05-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #112
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotek
Boy, those are some reasonable prices.

He really IS the axleman.
The "Axleman" cometh!
Old 05-03-2005, 10:50 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice Job Lou! Looks like she'll be towing like a dream now! G'd luck on the trip home!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
Old 05-03-2005, 11:06 AM   #114
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Nice Job Lou! Looks like she'll be towing like a dream now! G'd luck on the trip home!
I made a promise to everyone on the forum when I started my thread about cheap fridges and A/C units!
I am here to help all of us save a little money. My Minuet is a guinea pig of sorts! In the 22 years I have been restoring these trailers I have learned that there is nothing that we cannot do ourselves on them. It just takes a little patience and ingenuity.
Let's hope she makes it home ok and all of you can get an axle for under $300!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #115
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I made a promise to everyone on the forum when I started my thread about cheap fridges and A/C units!
I am here to help all of us save a little money. My Minuet is a guinea pig of sorts! In the 22 years I have been restoring these trailers I have learned that there is nothing that we cannot do ourselves on them. It just takes a little patience and ingenuity.
Let's hope she makes it home ok and all of you can get an axle for under $300!
You don't ROCK, Lou!

Well you DO, but well, you know!!!

I just can't get over the prices on those axles!

Old 05-03-2005, 11:41 AM   #116
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
You don't ROCK, Lou!

Well you DO, but well, you know!!!

I just can't get over the prices on those axles!
I know, if you say I rock then it will go straight to my head! Then I won't be able to get through doorways, wear a hat, etc...
I am cool though!
That is an UNREAL price though!
I had NO idea how little it would be when I first took it down to Axis Products!
Old 05-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #117
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
We are in! Had a great chat with Henry today very helpful and informative. We will be sending off our requirements for a formal quote. And hope to get MoonBeam back on the road in the next couple of months.

This Forum/Community is a great resource! Consumers should always have a choice and be able to form their own opinion - WITHOUT recourse for the decisions we make.

Many people have different needs and face different barriers when it comes to our Airstreams - (painted or unpainted /clothed or naked)

Places like this where ideas are presented, researched, tested and the results are offered to the general public to help make their decision on the route that best serves their needs are invaluable and represent the true meaning of the word "Forum".

We have different needs here in Canada - and our "Buck" is already behind yours by 30% - we don't make more than you in fact we make less - so when you factor that in along with our "wonderful" taxes 15% - unfortunately "Price" plays a big role in our decisions. However - if you are lucky enough to find the same quality and fit with a product such as what Axis Products promises to deliver - then (for us) it is a pretty easy decision.

The price is more than right
The quality is there
The requirements are met - standard and spec wise
They are within a days drive
They are friendly
They don't get into "fish pond wars"
They treat you the same as if you were giving them an order for one - or a 100 axles.

A big thank you to Lou for sharing his adventure with us! This Forum for providing an A1 platform to research from the comfort of our own homes (or offices for those who have nothing better to do - or just do not like working on anything other than your airstreams) and to all of you who make up the opinion pool.

This just might warrant at least 2 cases of Molson ICE!!!! And a nice new shinny aluminum cooler too if we can find one up here..
Old 05-03-2005, 03:11 PM   #118
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
A big thank you to Lou for sharing his adventure with us! This Forum for providing an A1 platform to research from the comfort of our own homes (or offices for those who have nothing better to do - or just do not like working on anything other than your airstreams) and to all of you who make up the opinion pool.

This just might warrant at least 2 cases of Molson ICE!!!! And a nice new shinny aluminum cooler too if we can find one up here..
isn't an Airstream a "shiny aluminum cooler" in Canada?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:10 PM   #119
Rivet Master

Got some pics of the finished Axis Product Minuet!

Take a look at these pictures!
The pictures are a little dark but that is because my trailer has been sitting inside out of the cold at Axis Products!
It is all done and ready to roll!
The height I have gained is with the standard 22.5 degree angle. I am pretty sure that the Minuet had about a 10-15 degree angle when it was built. If you look at the pictures in the Photos section you will see the brochure from 1978. The Minuets were designed with a lower center of gravity.
If you look, I have right at 25.5 inches using the "Janet scale of measurement" (I like that scale, really easy for all of us to use).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Whole trailer01.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	11945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whole trailer02.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	11946  

Old 05-03-2005, 08:35 PM   #120
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
"I actually found the number in a post on here. I double checked it with the Gabriel number and everything was cool!
I am not sure if they use a "special" shock, but to me if the replacement works I will darn sure use it.
"Myth busted"!
Monroe Gas Magnum RV shock #555003
Closed Thread