Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 07:02 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
...you know that saying...Guess Whose Coming To Dinner......
Seriously what a generous offer! it not only saves on the shipping but on the gst/pst and import duty....that must be worth at least a case of your best bubbly!

On the slate for tomorrow - a call into Axis as the suspense is killing me.
Bring a case of your best bubbly. Molson Ice!
Living in Detroit we like Canadian beer and HOCKEY! When they are playing! Remember, we have the Stanley Cup Champs here! One of the original six!
Yeah, ship it here and we can throw it on here as well! Should be a couple hours to do it. I make a GREAT supervisor!
Give me a call. My numbers are listed on my profile page!

Old 04-28-2005, 08:34 PM   #58
Rivet Master

To all my Canadian neighbours and friends.

Bring a Two Four of Molson, eh!
I will supply the place to receive and install yer axle, eh!
For those south of the border:
All of my Canadian friends. You bring the Molson Ice in a case and I will help you install your axle.
Come to think of it, my boss is actually from Edmonton! He now lives here! Says it is about as close as he can come to feeling like he is home. Minus the beautiful country out there! He means the culture. We love hockey, Canadian beer and we can even handle watching curling when there is no hockey!

Old 04-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Hey Lou,

If you happen to think of it, ask them what their policy is regarding tri-axle configurations using torsion axles. I know Dexter won't do (or at least won't recommend) such a configuration using their Torflex product. Keep up the great pics!
Dave,
Henry and I spoke regarding the tri-axle set-up.
It would be better for him to explain it to you so give him a call. He is definitely the Axle Master!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:21 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Quote:
He is definitely the Axle Master!
I just e-mailed AXIS AXLE today,
I wanted to get my name on the list for a new axle before they get swamped with orders.... and your right ... they are very informative and helpful...I'm thinking about getting it set a little bit heigher than origional...can't wait to see the axle mounted on that minuet ... When they get your's bolted on I think it will be easy to decide...
PS... I mentioned your name when I wrote to them ...
thanks again Lou
Dan....
Old 04-29-2005, 11:02 AM   #61
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas
I was told that welding on a duratorque-style axle was a definite no-no? How is this fella attaching his new brackets?

In case you're wondering I did an axle replacement on my old Minuet a few years ago, got it from Inland.
That is what I do not understand about the Henschen beign shipped with the brackets loose.
How in the world can you put the brackets on?
If you have "tabs" on it that ou bolt the brackets to I would not like the extra "bolts" holding my axle up.
If you weld to it that would just about turn the rubber cords to mush, wouldn't it?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
That is what I do not understand about the Henschen beign shipped with the brackets loose.
How in the world can you put the brackets on?
If you have "tabs" on it that ou bolt the brackets to I would not like the extra "bolts" holding my axle up.
If you weld to it that would just about turn the rubber cords to mush, wouldn't it?
Welding on a torsion axle that is assembled (i.e.: rubber cords inserted) is a definite no-no. No matter how experienced the welder or fabricator is, some heat will be transferred through the spindle/torsion arm/inner bar assembly in to the rubber cords, this will compromise the rubber and could lead to some serious issues down the road. All welding must be completed (and allowed to cool) prior to assembling the torsion axle.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #63
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Welding on a torsion axle that is assembled (i.e.: rubber cords inserted) is a definite no-no. No matter how experienced the welder or fabricator is, some heat will be transferred through the spindle/torsion arm/inner bar assembly in to the rubber cords, this will compromise the rubber and could lead to some serious issues down the road. All welding must be completed (and allowed to cool) prior to assembling the torsion axle.
Does that also mean that the rust preventive coating should be applied to all of the parts ahead of time as well?
Can an axle be "dipped" or painted after it is completely assembled with no harm to the components?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:27 PM   #64
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Does that also mean that the rust preventive coating should be applied to all of the parts ahead of time as well?
Can an axle be "dipped" or painted after it is completely assembled with no harm to the components?
Painting of the axle after assembly is OK, providing it is brushed or sprayed on. Care should be used around the “joint” where the inner bar slides into the torsion tube. The most temperamental part of the torsion axle is the rubber cords, don’t allow the paint (sprayed or brushed) to come into contact with the rubber. Dipping after assembly would be prohibited for the same reason.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Quote:
Painting of the axle after assembly is OK, providing it is brushed or sprayed on. Care should be used around the “joint” where the inner bar slides into the torsion tube. The most temperamental part of the torsion axle is the rubber cords, don’t allow the paint (sprayed or brushed) to come into contact with the rubber. Dipping after assembly would be prohibited for the same reason.
Isn't the joint hermetically sealed to keep the rubber from breaking down?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:35 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Isn't the joint hermetically sealed to keep the rubber from breaking down?
There is no seal of any type, hermetically or other, to isolate the rubber cords. We have separated most axles available in the market place and found no axle manufacturer using a seal.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Quote:
There is no seal of any type, hermetically or other, to isolate the rubber cords. We have separated most axles available in the market place and found no axle manufacturer using a seal.
I just went out and looked and that is a complete myth.
No one "seals" the axle.
I visited the top two manufacturers websites and nowhere does it say they seal the axle.
I have learned something interesting and the myth can be laid to rest.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:34 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Dave,
Henry and I spoke regarding the tri-axle set-up.
It would be better for him to explain it to you so give him a call. He is definitely the Axle Master!

Thanks, Lou!

You still ROCK!

Old 04-29-2005, 05:56 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Almost done!

Well, I got some more pictures from Henry today!
They are finishing up the shock mount brackets and will be welding them on soon. Then it will be dipped and ready to go!
Henry and Axis Products will get my business on the Argosy 20 when it is time to do that one.
I am pleased to see that there is someone out there that is willing to see that we are a niche market that has a need for a quality axle at a very competitve price. I am very pleased with the level of service that I have received from Axis Products.
From Henry coming in on a Sunday to take my trailer right up to this point where he is putting a rush on things to get it buttoned up and back to me quickly.
I looked at the axle on a 25 foot 1978 Airstream and the bracket it identical to mine. Other than the axle being longer and I am sure it is rated for more weight and it is longer, they are almost identical.
I am very pleased with the level of service I have received. I hope that my axle has paved the way for Axis Products to be able to supply us all with an off-the-shelf bolt-on solution.
No more loose brackets in a bag! Bolt it on and GO!
Take a look at the chock mount bracket in the pictures. Then go out and look at yours. I will bet you they are really close!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket01.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	11853   Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket arm1.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	11854  

Click image for larger version

Name:	bracket arm2.JPG