Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #43
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
The wheel well trim was on the trailer when we got it. We added the sunglasses and removed the antenna. The step is in the photo - it's made of 2 x 6 and turns out to be very handy. It gets stored upside down in the entry "hall" of the trailer. It's hollow underneath and we throw the wheel chocks and jack stand inside - they are always the last in and first out anyway and often muddy. The wide step is great to sit on and very useful when raising and cinching down the awning. Ther are more pics in my photo gallery, we replaced all the mechanicals in this trailer - no surprise to any other minuet owner.... and reupholstered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2005 trailer web.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	11802  

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 04-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #44
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
And the muddy step...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	step.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	11803  

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 04-27-2005, 02:39 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
And the muddy step...
Nice step! I like the handle on the side. Really nice for picking it up or tossing it down.
Tell me about the mechanicals! YUCK!
The axle should be the last piece to that puzzle!
Then comes the paint!
Old 04-27-2005, 03:19 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Talking Today's axle progress!

Henry called to tell me that the "magic" brackets are all welded up and ready to go to the e-coat process! Axis Products e-coats them before they assemble them. The entire alxe tube is coated. I know the inside is sealed but it doesn't hurt to have that extra level of protection.
I didn't even have to ask him and he said that the pictures should be in my Inbox already! Guess what? They were!
I am getting antsy!
This is going to be the biggest change to the Minuet wince I started the restoration/renovation! It is going to make the biggest impact on the way it looks too.
I am now thinking that I should have replaced the axle before I did the other stuff in the trailer. If I had only known of Axis Products BEFORE I started all of the other projects.
Think about it... If my fridge goes out while I am camping I can still camp, right? What if my axle or my spindles would have failed? There is no way I could have continued! I knew I had to replace it. I just got scared by the stories I had read and the $800+ cost of doing it! That is what scared me.
Now that I know what I know I am not even going to touch the Argosy 20 until Henry makes me a new axle for that one! No more horsing around! I am going to start that restoration/renovation right the first time.
Anyway, here are the pictures of the new axle tube with the "magic" brackets. You will notice that there are few holes in the new brackets. That's because there was nothing in them anyway. Why have them if they aren't used? That's what I figure!
By the way, the brackets are welded onto the axle tube before the rubber cords are inserted because the cords wiuld turn to goo if they were welded on after the assembly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old and new.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	11804   Click image for larger version

Name:	old and new 2.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	11805  

Name:	old and new 3.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	11806   Click image for larger version

Name:	old and new 4.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	11807  

Old 04-27-2005, 03:46 PM   #47
Somewhere between NY & LA

Lou,

Those are some confidence inspiring photos. It looks like they do good work, and more importantly, they keep you informed about their progress. That is good business.

You make a good point about the order of a renovation. I remember my first trailer. I was in such a hurry to polish it that I neglected everything else....hell, I didn't even know anything about what might be wrong with it, I just wanted it shiny.

Blissful ignorance!

Live & learn, right?

I will be replacing the axle on my GT soon. I have a friend who is a Dexter dealer and was leaning in that direction, but after learning of your positive experience, I may consider Axis as an option.

Keep up the good work!

1963 Globetrotter
Photos at: http://community.webshots.com/user/lotek112
Old 04-28-2005, 01:24 AM   #48
Rivet Master

The guys at Axis are awesome. They have been making axles for quite awhile. Plus, the cost will be a big difference.
I have seen the processs Henschen uses for their axles. It is the same process no matter who makes the axles. You have to freeze the rubber before it gets put into the axle. It doesn't matter who makes the axle, the process is going to be tha same.
The difference then becomes price and customer service. Do you want to pay $800+ for a new axle? Not me. that is one strike against the Henschen as a choice. Do you want to have to modify an axle that is sold to you as a "direct bolt-on" replacement? I don't.
I have found out from a reliable source at Airstream that the brackets have no significant changes for a number of model years. They did not use different brackets for every model. A torsion axle is a torsion axle. The axle capacity is not determined by the bolt pattern on the mounting bracket.
My source is reliable and I cannot give him/her up. I would lose that source then.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:12 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Hey Lou,

If you happen to think of it, ask them what their policy is regarding tri-axle configurations using torsion axles. I know Dexter won't do (or at least won't recommend) such a configuration using their Torflex product. Keep up the great pics!

Old 04-28-2005, 09:51 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Hey Lou,

If you happen to think of it, ask them what their policy is regarding tri-axle configurations using torsion axles. I know Dexter won't do (or at least won't recommend) such a configuration using their Torflex product. Keep up the great pics!
Dave,

I will be talking with Henry from Axis Products this morning. I will be sure to pass on your question about the tri-axle set-up. I am sure that Henry ans his team of engineers already have an aswer for you. If not, they will get one.
I have never met a group of people so eager to win business then I have seen at Axis Products. If I have a question or concern it gets handled now; not later but now!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:56 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Thursday's progress!

Well, Henry from Axis Products has emailed me some more pictures of the progress on the axle!
He got the e-coating done and now they are mocking it up to locate the new shock mount bracket!
This is what I do not understand about the Henschen. How can they send you the brackets "loose"? If you weld to a fully assembled torsion axle wouldn't you affect the rubber cords inside? I mean, you would be welding right where those rubber cords are near! Wouldn't that heat transfer?
Anyway, here are today's pictures with the e-coating and the mock-up to fabricate the shock mount bracket.
All really nice work!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	arm01.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	11823   Click image for larger version

Name:	arm02.JPG
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	11824  

Name:	oa01.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	11825   Click image for larger version

Name:	end1.JPG
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	11826  

Old 04-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Very pretty, it's a really good match for the old one, though missing that lovely decorative patina. Come to think of it, I'm shocked, Lou, that you didn't have them color coordinate the powder coat with your interior (yes, shocked, very shocked). The shiny metal do-hickies (axle end pieces?) also look very nice--but how the heck do you keep them thingies polished?

OK, ok, I'll go back to the peanut gallery,

Mary
Old 04-28-2005, 02:47 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
Very pretty, it's a really good match for the old one, though missing that lovely decorative patina. Come to think of it, I'm shocked, Lou, that you didn't have them color coordinate the powder coat with your interior (yes, shocked, very shocked). The shiny metal do-hickies (axle end pieces?) also look very nice--but how the heck do you keep them thingies polished?

OK, ok, I'll go back to the peanut gallery,

Mary
Mary,
I was going to color coordinate it with my new carpet. I decided to color coordinate it with my new range instead!
So there, it is color coordinated.
Those shiny pieces will not be shiny. They will get a coating like the axle. If not then I will POR-15 them!
I think I am gonna get one of those underbody mirrors that you see at car shows! That way EVERYONE will see that nice new, well-built axle!
Please, save a seat for me in the "gallery". I am sure I will return after the hub-bub from my axle adventure ends...
Old 04-28-2005, 04:49 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Hs anyone else called Axis Products this week?
If so, what did they tell you?
Hi Lou I still have Henry's number and will hopefully call tomorrow if not on Monday. Following your progress with GREAT interest.

It is the Canadian IRS time - taxes - and I have been buried in figures!

If Henry can give me a thumbs up for the GT 4000#-4500# rating - then the only difference we are looking at is cost - which as you say $800.00 plus exchange for us is a big chunk of change. If we are putting it on ourselves then that factors in as well. Axis seem to pay particular attention to detail from what I have seen of your photos.

Keep the photos coming.

Lotek - what is the weight rating of your 63 GT axle? I know the early 60's models where lighter - so I bet you get to jump in with the 3500# too
Old 04-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi Lou I still have Henry's number and will hopefully call tomorrow if not on Monday. Following your progress with GREAT interest.

It is the Canadian IRS time - taxes - and I have been buried in figures!

If Henry can give me a thumbs up for the GT 4000#-4500# rating - then the only difference we are looking at is cost - which as you say $800.00 plus exchange for us is a big chunk of change. If we are putting it on ourselves then that factors in as well. Axis seem to pay particular attention to detail from what I have seen of your photos.

Keep the photos coming.

Lotek - what is the weight rating of your 63 GT axle? I know the early 60's models where lighter - so I bet you get to jump in with the 3500# too
Give Henry a call, he will be able to help you out.
Right now I have about four or five people that want to see mine before they get one.
I will have it at the Metro-Detroit rally this August too.
If anyone is local to Detroit they are welcome to come on over and take a look whenever they want to!
Also, if you live in Ontario I am willing to let you have it shipped here and install it here if you want. It would save the shipping to Canada.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:27 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Also, if you live in Ontario I am willing to let you have it shipped here and install it here if you want. It would save the shipping to Canada.
...you know that saying...Guess Whose Coming To Dinner......
Seriously what a generous offer! it not only saves on the shipping but on the gst/pst and import duty....that must be worth at least a case of your best bubbly!

On the slate for tomorrow - a call into Axis as the suspense is killing me.