Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Weight rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
When Henry showed me the set-up you have I was excited about it but hestitant to go with something I had little information about.
What weight rating did you go with?
Lou,
According to the 1977 spec sheet, the old axle was rated for 3270 lbs. We chose to go with a 3500 lb. replacement. Axle cost was $290. Brackets $40. Taxes $27.18. What we liked about this axle was the ability to change the drop angle to increase the ride height or adjust for wear and age over the next 30??? years. (haha! we hope!) It also has the ability to be adjusted for weight rating according to the chart, by trimming the rubber block. But 3500# was the standard.
The 5200# axle was quoted at $465. Note the prices were quoted in 2003.
BTW fully loaded new backing plates were $66.95 each.

Larry

Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

Old 04-26-2005, 11:17 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Lou, is there any way to have Henry post the dimentions of the bracket (i.e, length, center of hole is x cm from ends, etc) so that we can check to see if this bracket (which I'm fairly certain it is) is the same on other trailers? I'd like to get some axles too - but Indiana is a pretty far distance from the NW (any distributers or installers of Axis around here?)

I'm sure my 26ft Argosy would use a wider axle (my trailer is 8ft wide vs. the Minuet 7.5 ft width), but otherwise, I'm sure they're about the same. Do you know the length of the torson drop "bar" (distance from axle to spindle, center to center?)
Thanks!
Marc

Just to let you know I have already checked with ups and they say that the axel from Indiana to california without being in a box should be around 149.oo you can call the 800 # to make sure after you get the completed weight from master Henry they will tell you the max length and weight and total price with your zip-code for me regular ground will be 4 days

Old 04-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff
Lou,
According to the 1977 spec sheet, the old axle was rated for 3270 lbs. We chose to go with a 3500 lb. replacement. Axle cost was $290. Brackets $40. Taxes $27.18. What we liked about this axle was the ability to change the drop angle to increase the ride height or adjust for wear and age over the next 30??? years. (haha! we hope!) It also has the ability to be adjusted for weight rating according to the chart, by trimming the rubber block. But 3500# was the standard.
The 5200# axle was quoted at $465. Note the prices were quoted in 2003.
BTW fully loaded new backing plates were $66.95 each.

Larry
I decided on a 3,500# one as well.
I do like yours. It is nice. How long have you had it on now?
Are you still planning on coming to the Metro-Detroit rally?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:49 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Lou, is there any way to have Henry post the dimentions of the bracket (i.e, length, center of hole is x cm from ends, etc) so that we can check to see if this bracket (which I'm fairly certain it is) is the same on other trailers? I'd like to get some axles too - but Indiana is a pretty far distance from the NW (any distributers or installers of Axis around here?)

I'm sure my 26ft Argosy would use a wider axle (my trailer is 8ft wide vs. the Minuet 7.5 ft width), but otherwise, I'm sure they're about the same. Do you know the length of the torson drop "bar" (distance from axle to spindle, center to center?)
Thanks!
Marc
I am sure that Henry can get me the bracket dimensions. I am not sure that he can do it in metric though. You may have to do the 2.54 conversion for him!
I don't know the drop bar dimensions but I am sure that Henry can get them. He is copying the axle and brackets completely.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:16 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

After talking with Henry about my argosy six metre minuet I felt very comfortable with his product... They have been in business for a long time and make axels for several large companies ... He seems like he is very happy to get involved.... and would like to make this a easy experience for anyone that would like to get one from him ... this a photo of my trailer befor the axel replacement and I hope to have a new on shortly ... looks like pattersontoo gets the first one... heee heee my six metre is hanging low...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RT SIDE.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	11788  
Old 04-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
After talking with Henry about my argosy six metre minuet I felt very comfortable with his product... They have been in business for a long time and make axels for several large companies ... He seems like he is very happy to get involved.... and would like to make this a easy experience for anyone that would like to get one from him ... this a photo of my trailer befor the axel replacement and I hope to have a new on shortly ... looks like pattersontoo gets the first one... heee heee my six metre is hanging low...
Nice trailer. You really should put some air in those tires. Your trailer is sitting kinda low!
HeeHee!
Old 04-27-2005, 02:06 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Cool

mines lower than yours I should get the first axel ...
Old 04-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #36
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
mines lower than yours I should get the first axel ...
You should, but they just so happen to have my Minuet and not yours.
BUMMER! For you, not me.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Hs anyone else called Axis Products this week?
If so, what did they tell you?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:40 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
How long have you had it on now?
Are you still planning on coming to the Metro-Detroit rally?
We have been "riding high" since July--- 2003.
We are still planning to come to the Forums Rally in Metro Detroit. We just need the when and where.
Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

Old 04-27-2005, 10:54 AM   #39
Site Team

, Minnesota
Are you guys having a contest to see who has more ground clearance? Get your highwater pants!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	urkel_proof_1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	11798  
Old 04-27-2005, 11:57 AM   #40
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
welding on an axle tube?

I was told that welding on a duratorque-style axle was a definite no-no? How is this fella attaching his new brackets?

In case you're wondering I did an axle replacement on my old Minuet a few years ago, got it from Inland.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:19 PM   #41
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Axle before and after

Gotair2 pm'd me about our axle replacement. Our minuet looked alot like his pre-replacement. we ordered a new axle and installed it. neither one of us can remember the angle we ordered - but we're pretty sure it was 28 degrees - about 5 degrees more than original - we wanted a little more ground clearance. we got it - and now use a portable step to get in and out of trailer. It was an easy step into trailer before new axle. Now the trailer sits at 28" from the pavement to the bottom edge of the wheel well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	new axle height web.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	11800  

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Old 04-27-2005, 12:37 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Gotair2 pm'd me about our axle replacement. Our minuet looked alot like his pre-replacement. we ordered a new axle and installed it. neither one of us can remember the angle we ordered - but we're pretty sure it was 28 degrees - about 5 degrees more than original - we wanted a little more ground clearance. we got it - and now use a portable step to get in and out of trailer. It was an easy step into trailer before new axle. Now the trailer sits at 28" from the pavement to the bottom edge of the wheel well.
Janet,

Nice clearance!
I like yor wheels too!
Did you guys add the wheel well molding yourselves? It looks good trimmed out like that.
I am going with the standard 22.5 degree drop angle. I have small children and I can imagine them climbing in and out of the trailer and that height. SLIP! BAM! <Split lip>
Do you have any profile shots of your trailer so we can see how it looks overall?