Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #197
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
The prices for the above axles and parts are as follows.
2)Axles as described above $311.13 each, total $622.26
Mounting bolts $7.50
Brake line kit $100.00
Actibrake elec/hyd brake activator $500.00
Total cost less shipping or taxes $1229.76

I think this a very reasonable price for a high quality, state of the art axle with disk brakes and hardware package.
Mike B
Mike,
All I can say is, "HOLY CRAP!"
If the axles are "loaded" then the cost of the two axles, using Kodiak discs, is cheaper than buying ONE, (count it), ONE Henschen with DRUM brakes! Consider the fact that the Actibrake goes for about $250 more then what Henry quoted you and BAM! you got one heck of a good deal!
Man, am I glad that I went to Axis now that I see Henry and Eric treat EVERYONE like they treated me! Wait, now I feel "dissed".
Does that price for the axle alone include the disc brakes?
__________________

__________________
Anon is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 04:56 AM   #198
2 Rivet Member
 
Mike B's Avatar
 
1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: 1976 31' Sovereign
Posts: 77
Axle prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Mike,
All I can say is, "HOLY CRAP!"
If the axles are "loaded" then the cost of the two axles, using Kodiak discs, is cheaper than buying ONE, (count it), ONE Henschen with DRUM brakes! Consider the fact that the Actibrake goes for about $250 more then what Henry quoted you and BAM! you got one heck of a good deal!
Man, am I glad that I went to Axis now that I see Henry and Eric treat EVERYONE like they treated me! Wait, now I feel "dissed".
Does that price for the axle alone include the disc brakes?
Lou ,
The above prices were complete axles hub to hub including the disk brakes. The prices with the disc versus drum were only about $75.00 more per axle as I recall.
I could not see not doing the disk now at that price, even with the added cost of the activator and mounting kit. This has pretty much blown my current budget allotment for fixing up the trailer for now, but I feel that since I plan on keeping it for a long time it is money well spent.

Mike B
__________________

__________________
Mike B
1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
1996 F350 CC PSD
Mike B is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 09:42 AM   #199
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B
Lou ,
The above prices were complete axles hub to hub including the disk brakes. The prices with the disc versus drum were only about $75.00 more per axle as I recall.
I could not see not doing the disk now at that price, even with the added cost of the activator and mounting kit. This has pretty much blown my current budget allotment for fixing up the trailer for now, but I feel that since I plan on keeping it for a long time it is money well spent.

Mike B
Considering you paid over $300 LESS than getting two Henschen axles with drums and you got EVERYTHING I can see how you choose that route!
Good deal, buddy.
Please keep us posted as to how the installation goes. Take LOTS of step-by-step pictures for everyone on the forum!
__________________
Anon is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 09:43 AM   #200
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
Axle thingy I saw!

Hey, if you follow the Vintage Thunder blog you will now see that Axis Products is a proud sponsor of Vintage Thunder!
Good going Henry!
Keep up the good work Rich and crew!
__________________
Anon is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #201
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Disc brakes

axleman

Henry.

This is an Airstream site.

Therefore, almost without exception, discussions are towards that goal.

Surge brakes are Ok for some applications, but for safety reasons, never a travel trailer, especially an Airstream.

Should a sway develop, and they do, there is no way to apply trailer brakes "only" when a trailer has surge brakes.

Surge brakes, as I am sure you know, also prohibit you from backing up a trailer so equipped, up hill, unless you stop and place a pin in the coupler.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 10:58 AM   #202
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Hey, if you follow the Vintage Thunder blog you will now see that Axis Products is a proud sponsor of Vintage Thunder!
Good going Henry!
Keep up the good work Rich and crew!
Lou,



Thanks! We are very excited about the project . It has been a joyful experience to work with all of the folks involved with the restoration thus far. Additionally, I am learning a ton .



Regards,

Henry
__________________
axleman is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 11:08 AM   #203
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
 
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 432
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
axleman

Henry.

This is an Airstream site.

Therefore, almost without exception, discussions are towards that goal.

Surge brakes are Ok for some applications, but for safety reasons, never a travel trailer, especially an Airstream.

Should a sway develop, and they do, there is no way to apply trailer brakes "only" when a trailer has surge brakes.

Surge brakes, as I am sure you know, also prohibit you from backing up a trailer so equipped, up hill, unless you stop and place a pin in the coupler.

Andy
Andy,


Sorry for any confusion, I was just trying to point out that not ALL disc brake systems are energized electronically as you had stated. Additionally, you do NOT have to pin a coupler to reverse a trailer if a reversing solenoid is employed. I will commit to keeping an Airstream focus from here on, again I apologize .



Thanks,

Henry
__________________
axleman is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 11:50 AM   #204
4 Rivet Member
 
Pschoerrn's Avatar

 
1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 410
Images: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Surge brakes are Ok for some applications, but for safety reasons, never a travel trailer, especially an Airstream.

Should a sway develop, and they do, there is no way to apply trailer brakes "only" when a trailer has surge brakes.

Surge brakes, as I am sure you know, also prohibit you from backing up a trailer so equipped, up hill, unless you stop and place a pin in the coupler.

Andy
Hi Andy,

sorry but I canīt follow you on that... What you say would mean that all the european TT manufacturer are playing with the lives of their customers! I canīt and I am not willing to believe that!
Overhere electric brakes are unknown to 99% of the TT and other smaller Trailers, only some Trucks have electric brakes and I heard of a swedish TT Manufacturer that had electric brakes. Backing up with surgebrakes is no problem as modern surgebrakes are able to do that without any pin and they even have a swaycontroll integrated (such as the Alko System (The Euro overrun device) and others).

But I am totally on your side with the advantage of electric brakes, like giving brakepower only to the trailer brakes, thats why we will try to keep the electric brakes on our trailer. We are not yet shure if that will be possible as the trailer has to pass the inspections of the technical engeniers, which is requiered in germany before you are allowed to drive on public roads ( and it has to be redone every 2 years for all vehicles). It is hard to find someone who is willing to allow that and this is one reason why all the imported Airstreams are changed to surge- overrunbrakes overhere.
BTW we have an legal max. trailer weight of 7700lbs and and a max of 62 mph with trailers of anykind. Most trailers are allowed to go only 49mph.

This would mean to me, that at least the smaller TT Units can easily drive with surgebrakes...

Bjoern

PS:I canīt see why this isnīt an Airstream related threat? It is all about changing an Airstream/Argosy from one axle to another. Only the Manufacturer of the Axle was not Airstream related before, but he obviously is now!!

Thanks to Lou and the others for sharing their 'Axleman' experience!
__________________
Björn H. Adam
Wolfenbuettel, Germany

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just havenīt met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #205
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Disc brakes, Surge brakes

Pschoerm.

I have no idea what other country standards for trailers might be.

I have always promoted safety to the maximum.

Surge brakes, in our country, on a travel trailer that lost control, and hit someone else causing damage or injury, because of being equipped with surge brakes, would very quickly make many Attorneys very rich by holding that owner legally liable for an improper equipped braking system.

Perhaps in your country attorneys are not nearly as much of a thorn in many peoples side, as they are in the USA.

A good portion of our society today looks for ways to sue someone because of a mistake, and live happily and "wealthy" for the rest of their lives.

And if it's not that, then they look for ways to file phony "workmans comp" claims, again on the hopes of living happily, wealthy and not having to work any more, for the rest of their life.

Sad, but true.

We have more phony work comp claims, than real sincere and justified claims.
As an employer, at least in California, work comp will pay an employee, if you simply were guilty of "shouting" at them, regardless of the reason.

Such is life, from one country to the next.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #206
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
PS:I canīt see why this isnīt an Airstream related threat? It is all about changing an Airstream/Argosy from one axle to another. Only the Manufacturer of the Axle was not Airstream related before, but he obviously is now!!

Thanks to Lou and the others for sharing their 'Axleman' experience!
Bjoern,
Thank you for the compliment. I have visited Europe several times for work. I love the area and I love the variety of food!
Keep up the good work on promoting the Airstream way of life abroad.
__________________
Anon is offline  
Old 05-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #207
Moderator dude
 
Action's Avatar

 
1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 6,067
Images: 13
This thread is being closed because the people posting can not post nicely.
__________________

__________________
1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duratorque Axle Replacement Andy R Axles 18 03-19-2017 09:54 PM
Tag axle shock rdm Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 8 07-10-2008 08:15 PM
Who made my axle? Pahaska Axles 44 07-25-2007 11:08 AM
one or two axle? vallan1980 Airstream Trailer Forums 5 09-17-2002 06:47 PM
Axle Offset Question DanLyle Axles 11 08-28-2002 10:35 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.