Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #201
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Disc brakes

axleman

Henry.

This is an Airstream site.

Therefore, almost without exception, discussions are towards that goal.

Surge brakes are Ok for some applications, but for safety reasons, never a travel trailer, especially an Airstream.

Should a sway develop, and they do, there is no way to apply trailer brakes "only" when a trailer has surge brakes.

Surge brakes, as I am sure you know, also prohibit you from backing up a trailer so equipped, up hill, unless you stop and place a pin in the coupler.

Andy
Old 05-12-2005, 09:58 AM   #202
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Hey, if you follow the Vintage Thunder blog you will now see that Axis Products is a proud sponsor of Vintage Thunder!
Good going Henry!
Keep up the good work Rich and crew!
Lou,

Thanks! We are very excited about the project . It has been a joyful experience to work with all of the folks involved with the restoration thus far. Additionally, I am learning a ton .

Regards,

Henry
Old 05-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #203
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
axleman

Henry.

This is an Airstream site.

Therefore, almost without exception, discussions are towards that goal.

Surge brakes are Ok for some applications, but for safety reasons, never a travel trailer, especially an Airstream.

Should a sway develop, and they do, there is no way to apply trailer brakes "only" when a trailer has surge brakes.

Surge brakes, as I am sure you know, also prohibit you from backing up a trailer so equipped, up hill, unless you stop and place a pin in the coupler.

Andy
Andy,

Sorry for any confusion, I was just trying to point out that not ALL disc brake systems are energized electronically as you had stated. Additionally, you do NOT have to pin a coupler to reverse a trailer if a reversing solenoid is employed. I will commit to keeping an Airstream focus from here on, again I apologize .

Thanks,

Henry
Old 05-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #204
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Andy
Hi Andy,

sorry but I canīt follow you on that... What you say would mean that all the european TT manufacturer are playing with the lives of their customers! I canīt and I am not willing to believe that!
Overhere electric brakes are unknown to 99% of the TT and other smaller Trailers, only some Trucks have electric brakes and I heard of a swedish TT Manufacturer that had electric brakes. Backing up with surgebrakes is no problem as modern surgebrakes are able to do that without any pin and they even have a swaycontroll integrated (such as the Alko System (The Euro overrun device) and others).

But I am totally on your side with the advantage of electric brakes, like giving brakepower only to the trailer brakes, thats why we will try to keep the electric brakes on our trailer. We are not yet shure if that will be possible as the trailer has to pass the inspections of the technical engeniers, which is requiered in germany before you are allowed to drive on public roads ( and it has to be redone every 2 years for all vehicles). It is hard to find someone who is willing to allow that and this is one reason why all the imported Airstreams are changed to surge- overrunbrakes overhere.
BTW we have an legal max. trailer weight of 7700lbs and and a max of 62 mph with trailers of anykind. Most trailers are allowed to go only 49mph.

This would mean to me, that at least the smaller TT Units can easily drive with surgebrakes...

Bjoern

PS:I canīt see why this isnīt an Airstream related threat? It is all about changing an Airstream/Argosy from one axle to another. Only the Manufacturer of the Axle was not Airstream related before, but he obviously is now!!

Thanks to Lou and the others for sharing their 'Axleman' experience!

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just havenīt met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Old 05-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #205
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Disc brakes, Surge brakes

Pschoerm.

I have no idea what other country standards for trailers might be.

I have always promoted safety to the maximum.

Surge brakes, in our country, on a travel trailer that lost control, and hit someone else causing damage or injury, because of being equipped with surge brakes, would very quickly make many Attorneys very rich by holding that owner legally liable for an improper equipped braking system.

Perhaps in your country attorneys are not nearly as much of a thorn in many peoples side, as they are in the USA.

A good portion of our society today looks for ways to sue someone because of a mistake, and live happily and "wealthy" for the rest of their lives.

And if it's not that, then they look for ways to file phony "workmans comp" claims, again on the hopes of living happily, wealthy and not having to work any more, for the rest of their life.

Sad, but true.

We have more phony work comp claims, than real sincere and justified claims.
As an employer, at least in California, work comp will pay an employee, if you simply were guilty of "shouting" at them, regardless of the reason.

Such is life, from one country to the next.

Andy
Old 05-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #206
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
PS:I canīt see why this isnīt an Airstream related threat? It is all about changing an Airstream/Argosy from one axle to another. Only the Manufacturer of the Axle was not Airstream related before, but he obviously is now!!

Thanks to Lou and the others for sharing their 'Axleman' experience!
Bjoern,
Thank you for the compliment. I have visited Europe several times for work. I love the area and I love the variety of food!
Keep up the good work on promoting the Airstream way of life abroad.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:58 PM   #207
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
This thread is being closed because the people posting can not post nicely.
Closed Thread