Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #155
Rivet Master

Just like Mike said. It is easy for any RV or axle shop to do this. The hardest part is the removal of the old axle. It has been on most trailers since they were brand new.
If you do not want to hassle with taking off your old one then have someone do it that has the tools to do it. Bolting the new one back on is not rocket science.
The way I look at it, if you are buying the axle and have to get it installed why would you pay $800 for the axle PLUS what it costs to mount it? Especially if you can spend about 1/3 of that for the axle.
I know that there are a good percentage on here like me; you are have to watch your pennies. For those who don't have to watch their pennies, this is how you keep as many of your pennies as you can.
Changing from a standard issue 30+ year old Henschen to a new state of the art e-coated Axis axle I feel I have greatly improved the quality and durability of my Minuet. There is no one out here that could prove that my axle is inferior to the old axle.
By the way, the NAPA 94005 shock performed flawlessly. If you were to look at the shock it is not mounted horizontally. I don't think the shock is completely horizontal when the trailer is new anyway. After the axle sags it would put the shock in a near horizontal position. Just food for thought.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #156
Rivet Master

Well, I pulled the wheels off of the Minuet this afternoon so I could POR-15 the frame where the axle mounts.
I also sprayed it all up nice and pretty all over the wheel well! It looks impressive now.
I bought two center caps from www.lowcostrailersupplies.com and I painted them with some Krylon Fusion spray paint. I wanted to replace the original ones with somehting that looked similar. If you look at the pictures you will probably agree that these turned out pretty good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wirebrushed unpainted.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	12045   Click image for larger version

Name:	wirebrushed unpainted 02.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	12046  

Name:	Finished without wheel.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	12047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished without wheel closeup.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	12048  

Name:	Finished with wheel.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	12049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished with wheel angle.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	12050  

Old 05-08-2005, 07:17 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Mary,

I am already familiar with your mechanical prowess!
The "magic" bracket is the bracket that some people think that only ONE manufacturer can provide. Sorry, no fairies! Maybe a troll or two, but no fairies.
As for installing it yourself... You have to remember that you have to get the old one off. Is your old axle a torsion axle? Either way, you will have to get 40 year old nuts and bolts loose. It is easier to use a nut-splitter or burn them off. You can also grind them off. The one method you can try is to soak it with Kroil, or some other rust buster, and try to pull them off the traditional method with a ratchet and a LONG steel tube on the end of the ratchet.
It can be done yourself but it all depends upon how much effort you want to put into it.
I would have done my own but I did not have the time. I was out of town for work.
I think you could do it but you do need to do a little bit of work.
I'm not sure. Working on the trailer is more like regular construction, cars are terrifying. I don't know the terminology. I don't know what a torsion axle is--is that the non-leaf spring variety? Then yes, I don't have leaf springs. I think we may have got the "new" axles a year before they made it into all the models because it was either built late in the 1961 model year or because it was the apparently fancier "International" model (though we can't figure out what this upgrade meant except heavier steel stock in the frame).

So, what's the dif between drum and disc brakes?

Too bad about the fairies. I bet they miss installing brackets. I believe they exist, I believe in the axle fairies, I believe in the axle fairies...

Mary
Old 05-08-2005, 07:33 PM   #158
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
I'm not sure. Working on the trailer is more like regular construction, cars are terrifying. I don't know the terminology. I don't know what a torsion axle is--is that the non-leaf spring variety? Then yes, I don't have leaf springs. I think we may have got the "new" axles a year before they made it into all the models because it was either built late in the 1961 model year or because it was the apparently fancier "International" model (though we can't figure out what this upgrade meant except heavier steel stock in the frame).

So, what's the dif between drum and disc brakes?

Too bad about the fairies. I bet they miss installing brackets. I believe they exist, I believe in the axle fairies, I believe in the axle fairies...

Mary
Yup! You have a torsion axle!
Too bad you did not say that you believe in the axle fairies one more time! It takes three for them to appear!
The closest I can come to axle fairies would be Henry and Eric at Axis Products!
The difference between disc and drum brakes is that the disc brakes will stop you quicker. You do have to install something that will regulate the brake fluid to the disc brakes. Drum brakes use an electro-magnet that "grabs" the inside front of the drum and "drags" the brake shoes open. They work fine but they are not as quick to stop and are harder to replace.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Cool...I believe in the axle fairies.

You calling them he men Indiana guys fairies? Whoa! Gotta catch you on that one, Lou!!!

Looks like you'll be getting 500 rivets shortly! Congrats!

Mary
Old 05-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #160
Rivet Master

Quote:

You calling them he men Indiana guys fairies? Whoa! Gotta catch you on that one, Lou!!!

Mary
Oh CRAP! I did not notice the rivet thing! DOH! There goes my reputation of knowing what the heck I am talking about! Then I will be known as a blow-hard!
I guess the 500 mark is where I become a "Rivet Master"?
I still like being known as the "Axle Jedi"!
Old 05-09-2005, 07:12 AM   #161
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Looks like you got your last rivet, just a tad before midnight last night! Squeaked that one in by a thread!

Riveting, isn't it?

Mary
Old 05-09-2005, 08:08 AM   #162
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:

Mary
Hey Lou, now I’m bent. You are an “Axle Jedi” and a “Rivet Master”. Me, I’m an “Axle Fairy”. I have to agree with Mary, this doesn’t seem quite right.

This is all in good fun – right?

Seriously, congratulations on Rivet Master Lou!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:23 AM   #163
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
Sharon is right. Man, I hate admitting that publicly!
!

Your'e starting to sound like my Husband -

So that is what you have been up to! Shall I now bow humbly at the a....xle of thy Rivet Master Congrats Lou - you have the gift of Gab

Hey Axleman I would not call him the Axle Jedi - you hold that title - besides if you give Lou all this recognition and beer - he is likely to start another interesting thread

Soon thy humble Rivet Master Soon

Getting real excited and looking forward to a road trip soon with the old axle - I guess we have to get that puppy off soon - anyone have any good suggestions for blocking up your trailer for an extended period of time?
Old 05-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #164
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Your'e starting to sound like my Husband -

So that is what you have been up to! Shall I now bow humbly at the a....xle of thy Rivet Master Congrats Lou - you have the gift of Gab

Hey Axleman I would not call him the Axle Jedi - you hold that title - besides if you give Lou all this recognition and beer - he is likely to start another interesting thread

Soon thy humble Rivet Master Soon

Getting real excited and looking forward to a road trip soon with the old axle - I guess we have to get that puppy off soon - anyone have any good suggestions for blocking up your trailer for an extended period of time?
You have it all wrong my young Axle Student. I am the Alxe Jedi and Axleman is the Axle Master.
I have traveled the long distance home with an Axis Products axle under my "spaceship Minuet". That makes me an Axle Jedi. The Axle Master is he who knows ALL about the Torsion Axle Universe!
I am but a humble servant to the Axle Master. I weild the light saber of Axle Truth!
Beer is what the Axle Jedi consumes to commune with the Axle Spirits!
I am a very humble Rivet Master. This was the last step in becoming an Axle Jedi!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:41 AM   #165
Rivet Master

Quote:
Looks like you got your last rivet, just a tad before midnight last night! Squeaked that one in by a thread!

Riveting, isn't it?

Mary
Your puns are so, uh, riveting!
Please do not bow before the Rivet Master.
I am an Axle Jedi before I am a Rivet Master!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #166
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Hey Lou, now I’m bent. You are an “Axle Jedi” and a “Rivet Master”. Me, I’m an “Axle Fairy”. I have to agree with Mary, this doesn’t seem quite right.

This is all in good fun – right?

Seriously, congratulations on Rivet Master Lou!
You may be an axle fairy but you are the Axle Master above all axle fairies!
It is crazy little posts like this one that got me my Rivet Master status!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman
Deepest regrest about the airy fairy stuff, but remember, I appreciate fairies! I'm afraid I don't know about the Jedi Axle trip Lou is on, as I have not watched any of the new Star Wars movies...

So, would you need to have a trailer in your shop to make up an axle? I just couldn't get my trailer all the way out to Indiana (remember, it has just about the oldest torsion axles around on it).

Mary
Old 05-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #168
Rivet Master

Quote:
Deepest regrest about the airy fairy stuff, but remember, I appreciate fairies! I'm afraid I don't know about the Jedi Axle trip Lou is on, as I have not watched any of the new Star Wars movies...

So, would you need to have a trailer in your shop to make up an axle? I just couldn't get my trailer all the way out to Indiana (remember, it has just about the oldest torsion axles around on it).

Mary
Just think about the axle and the Axle Master will read your mind!
Seriously, he does not need your axle to replace it. Henry knows what to ask you to measure and he will be able to help you.
Your trailer is about ten days older than dirt too! I am surprised that it has not been declared an historical landmark!