Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #141
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Interesting. I like the pics...the one on the upper right looks high, but I think thats cause of the shadow...the other pics look like they nailed it dead on. I just noticed your avitar pic which I think was a before shot, so to me it looks night and day different.

Looks great. Hope you get many, many miles of fun out of it......and while on the subject, you know, you could meet a lot of folks at the midwest rally in June and show that puppy off in person (I know, it's a shameless plug).

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #142
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Interesting. I like the pics...the one on the upper right looks high, but I think thats cause of the shadow...the other pics look like they nailed it dead on.

Looks great. Hope you get many, many miles of fun out of it......and while on the subject, you know, you could meet a lot of folks at the midwest rally in June and show that puppy off in person (I know, it's a shameless plug).
It was from the shadowing. That's what I get for taking pictures in the evening. DOH!
I would love to come to the rally at Moraine View but I have a new plant launch in Lansing, MI that I am going to be teaching the Skilled Trades Electricians for the launch. I will be busy the entire summer with that.
I am going to show that axle off EVERYHWERE I go!
Do you think I could get one of those mirrors that they lay under classic cars? That would rock!

Old 05-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #143
Rivet Master

My brother-in-law was wanting to go with an ActiBrake system and he was not sure if Henry had something like that.
He called Henry and he gave found out that Axis Products carries the ActiBrake unit.
To make it even more enticing the price was only $500 for it!
Old 05-06-2005, 11:54 PM   #144
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
axis axles

I Just Got A Confirmation Of My Order For A New Axle For My 77 Minuet...i Ordered It The Same Way ..he Calledit The (lou Axle ) Its Great Working With Henry... I Called Him Yesterday And Today My Confirmation Was Waiting For Me When I Turned On The Computer... He Also Said It Would Take About A Week ... So Looks Like The Mini Is Not Going To Miss Any Trips This Summer ....
35oo Lbs Axle E-coted With A 22.5 % Drop Angle
With 10" Electric Drumb Brakes With Backing Plates
Mounting Brakets And Shock Brakets When

Im Going To Take A Couple Of Befor And After Photo's To Post On This Thread ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RT SIDE.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	12008  
Old 05-07-2005, 12:38 AM   #145
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up What

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
I Just Got A Confirmation Of My Order For A New Axle For My 77 Minuet...i Ordered It The Same Way ..he Calledit The (lou Axle ) Its Great Working With Henry... I Called Him Yesterday And Today My Confirmation Was Waiting For Me When I Turned On The Computer... He Also Said It Would Take About A Week ... So Looks Like The Mini Is Not Going To Miss Any Trips This Summer ....

Im Going To Take A Couple Of Befor And After Photo's To Post On This Thread ....
If I may ask, what did he quote for a price?
It looks like I just may be taking the 64GT out for new axle as well..
Thanks again Lou for starting this..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #146
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
ciao
53FC
SURE, HE SAID IT WOULD BE 249.OO PLUS SHIPPING BUT YOURS MAY BE DIFFERENT... YOU CAN CALL HIM TO MAKE SURE HE IS A VERY EASY GUY TO DEAL WITH ... THE PHONE NUMBER IS DOWN THE THREAD A BIT ITS GOTTEN TO BE PRETTY LONG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer and trips 047.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	12010   Click image for larger version

Name:	countertop 2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	12011  

Old 05-07-2005, 06:15 PM   #147
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
ciao
53FC
I am here for all of us to save some of our hard-earned greenbacks!
Dan is right for the price of his. It may be higher for any extras that you may want.
Peter and Sharon would like to have theirs galvanized because they haul their trailer in Canada during the winter months. Axis can and will galvanize the axle if that is what you prefer.
Henry is a VERY approachable guy. I have not seen him frustrated or upset once an d I have dealt with him on a daily basis. I can't even get him a little tiffed with me when I interupt him! Great guy! AWESOME company!
Old 05-07-2005, 06:44 PM   #148
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2

Nice low-rider!
Old 05-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hey fellas - one thing you don't want to get into is holding someone to an exact price - Henry offers all sorts of options and many applications will be specific to the year and model.

So I hope Axis does not mind - this is a preliminary quote provided below - but may change once they see our axle. But for the options we have asked for and the service we expect (even if we are not taking any chances in having it shipped) This price is perfect!

Seeing the pics Henry provided to Lou and the play by play - there are no secrets - this company is on the level which is very important to Peter and I.

Anyway - someone pointed out eariler in this thread that you should compare apples to apples.

So keep in mind a Minuet can not compare to a Globe Trotter - and a 64 may not compare to a 69 - and surely the tandems out there will not compare to the singles.

So we compared the "H" product complete with 12" brake/drum/hubs with nothing extra - and not sure where the shock mounts come into play either but we compared it to this provided by Axis/Henry:

Axle specifications:

4000# capacity

High profile mounting brackets

22.5 degree down torsion arms

Flanged

Safe-T-Lube spindles

Cambered

12 electric brakes (12 brakes required on 4000# axle)

12 brake drums with 6 on 5.5 centers

Galvanized coating (axle tube and mounting plates)

Mounting hardware

Stainless steel lug nuts

Shock brackets installed

* Cost: $361.51

Pretty easy decision we think - for us that is

Please note that this quote is for our application and may vary according to your own needs.

Lou are you dreaming of that Molson Ice yet???
Old 05-07-2005, 08:23 PM   #150
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hey fellas - one thing you don't want to get into is holding someone to an exact price - Henry offers all sorts of options and many applications will be specific to the year and model.

So I hope Axis does not mind - this is a preliminary quote provided below - but may change once they see our axle. But for the options we have asked for and the service we expect (even if we are not taking any chances in having it shipped) This price is perfect!

Seeing the pics Henry provided to Lou and the play by play - there are no secrets - this company is on the level which is very important to Peter and I.

Anyway - someone pointed out eariler in this thread that you should compare apples to apples.

So keep in mind a Minuet can not compare to a Globe Trotter - and a 64 may not compare to a 69 - and surely the tandems out there will not compare to the singles.

So we compared the "H" product complete with 12" brake/drum/hubs with nothing extra - and not sure where the shock mounts come into play either but we compared it to this provided by Axis/Henry:

Axle specifications:

4000# capacity

High profile mounting brackets

22.5 degree down torsion arms

Flanged

Safe-T-Lube spindles

Cambered

12 electric brakes (12 brakes required on 4000# axle)

12 brake drums with 6 on 5.5 centers

Galvanized coating (axle tube and mounting plates)

Mounting hardware

Stainless steel lug nuts

Shock brackets installed

* Cost: $361.51

Pretty easy decision we think - for us that is

Please note that this quote is for our application and may vary according to your own needs.

Lou are you dreaming of that Molson Ice yet???
Sharon is right. Man, I hate admitting that publicly!
Your axle may be different considering your options.
What I have and what GOTAIR2 will be getting is this:
E-coated axle
10" electric drum brakes COMPLETE
22.5 degree drop angle
Shock bracket
"Magic" axle bracket
Some other stuff I am sure I cannot remember right now

I am awaiting my case, Sharon. I can taste it now!
Old 05-08-2005, 05:22 AM   #151
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thanks guys..
I had realize the price would be different per se (requirements, etc).
Gonna call Monday~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #152
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
OK, this is starting to get to me...

The Dexter folks nearby quoted us about $500 for axle and installation. DH isn't really too sure on this--or what that figure includes besides the axle. Moreover, he doesn't want to do the axle himself.

So, I'm wondering a couple of things...

-Is the job so hard that I couldn't do it myself, perhaps with help from a couple of girlfriends? I have almost no knowledge of cars (limits of my technical capabilities came once in changing out my break pads about 12 years ago).

-Do I have to get this trailer up to Indiana (not happening without new axle, fwiw) to have them measure out the dohickies?

-Will shipping be prohibitive?

-Whats the difference between drum and disc brakes (as I told you, I'm clueless with cars)

-Does a "magic" axle bracket mean that fairies will come in the night and install it (we like fairies like that...)

Ok guys, I'm feeling a bit nuts for even considering this. Would it just be better to throw money at the local Dexter guy--or are there other reasons to go for this option?

Thanks,

Mary
Old 05-08-2005, 09:44 AM   #153
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyinva
OK, this is starting to get to me...

The Dexter folks nearby quoted us about $500 for axle and installation. DH isn't really too sure on this--or what that figure includes besides the axle. Moreover, he doesn't want to do the axle himself.

So, I'm wondering a couple of things...

-Is the job so hard that I couldn't do it myself, perhaps with help from a couple of girlfriends? I have almost no knowledge of cars (limits of my technical capabilities came once in changing out my break pads about 12 years ago).

-Do I have to get this trailer up to Indiana (not happening without new axle, fwiw) to have them measure out the dohickies?

-Will shipping be prohibitive?

-Whats the difference between drum and disc brakes (as I told you, I'm clueless with cars)

-Does a "magic" axle bracket mean that fairies will come in the night and install it (we like fairies like that...)

Ok guys, I'm feeling a bit nuts for even considering this. Would it just be better to throw money at the local Dexter guy--or are there other reasons to go for this option?

Thanks,

Mary
Mary,

I am already familiar with your mechanical prowess!
The "magic" bracket is the bracket that some people think that only ONE manufacturer can provide. Sorry, no fairies! Maybe a troll or two, but no fairies.
As for installing it yourself... You have to remember that you have to get the old one off. Is your old axle a torsion axle? Either way, you will have to get 40 year old nuts and bolts loose. It is easier to use a nut-splitter or burn them off. You can also grind them off. The one method you can try is to soak it with Kroil, or some other rust buster, and try to pull them off the traditional method with a ratchet and a LONG steel tube on the end of the ratchet.
It can be done yourself but it all depends upon how much effort you want to put into it.
I would have done my own but I did not have the time. I was out of town for work.
I think you could do it but you do need to do a little bit of work.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:28 AM   #154
2 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
1976 31' Sovereign
Robbins , California
Axis Axles mounting brackets

Hi All,
Henry and I spoke about the different mounting brackets that fit the Airstream mounts last week .
There are 3 different height mounts that have the same center to center bolt hole dimension that fit the Airstreams we have seen.
There is one that the top of the mount is almost flush with the top of the axle tube , I call that the low profile mount. In my opinion with the trailers I have seen that would be a problem because when the axle is bent to create camber the center of the axle tube would be pressed up into the belly pan when mounted.
The next mount has the top of the bracket about 1" above the tube and I call it the medium profile mount. It is the normal height for the brackets that come stock on the Airstreams I have seen. Sometimes with the tube bent for camber, the axle will touch the bellypan but not enough to cause a problem. This I believe is the mount that Lou had installed for his Minuet.
The last mount that I call the high profile mount has the top of the bracket 3" above the axle tube. This mount will give your trailer a 2" lift above stock, without having to change the starting angle on your torsion arms.
This is the mount I will order on my axles. I hope this can provide more info for those that are considering ordering axles from Axis.

For those of you who don't feel up to the task of mounting your axles any good trailer repair or RV shop should be able to do this easily. These should in almost all cases be a simple bolt in operation.

Mike B

1996 F350 CC PSD
Closed Thread