Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2016, 05:52 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Tandem Axles not aligned

I know everyone loves pictures and maybe I can successfully post a couple but I'm terrible with anything electronic
So, on my 2012 International tandem axle that I purchased last year, I just noticed that the wheels / tires aren't lined up. That meaning that the front streetside wheel is tipped in at the top and the front curbside wheel is tipped out at the top. Kinda like a race car but only slightly. Maybe it is the back wheels that are out of align. I can't tell but something's not right. Is this anything that can be corrected?
One note, after buying the trailer and reading posts, the first thing I did was to change out the tires and rims. (thank you forum members) One of the old tires was worn more than the others and I thought that was rather weird so I'm watching the Michelins now. After 10,000 miles, I see no unusual wear.
These pictures may be hard to see what I'm trying to describe.
Thanks to all. I love these forums. I've spent a ton of money from reading your problems and suggestions that I have read on daily posts. Wife doesn't get it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0296.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	262422   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	262423  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	262424  
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
It looks like your photos were taken with the rig backed in. Funny things happen to alignment when rigs are backed, or turned. My old F150 looked pigeon toed when parked after backing for more than a few feet.

I would pull the rig to a parking lot and look at the alignment in the "as pulled" state rather than "as backed" to see if there are any noted differences in what your images show.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You should watch a tri axle Airstream back up! It's as though the wheels are going to rip off! Scary!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
If you are not seeing abnormal tire ware it is most likely the way you were forcing the wheels while parking. Like mentioned above pull in a straight line for at least 100 ft and then check.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see my wheels at funky angles from time to time and write it off as the way it is parked or the wheels remaining in a bind during a back. The back-in is not long enough for the wheels to straighten themselves out.
It's kinda sorta like a car with independent suspension and positive camber on the rear wheels.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:21 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Q: Do you inspect your tires as a matter of routine maintenance?? Do you have abnormal tire wear??.....one tire vs the others??

"Lateral flexing" on multi-axle trailers is normal. It occurs during tight turns and especially when backing up. In some cases, flexing can be considerable.

Q: Do wheels "straighten out" when driving forward??

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB International
2013 25' Flying Cloud
In the Rockies, 6700' , Colorado
I agree with the post stating that by looking at the wheels when parked, you really can't learn much. That being said, I wore the outside edge off of one of my tires in about 10K miles ... twice. I paid Merrill Axle in Denver $900 to do an alignment and have had no problems since. The moral of the story is that unless your tires are wearing unevenly, don't fix what ain't broke. By the way, my first tire replacement was done at the factory while the trailer was still under warranty. However, Airstream refused to pay for the tire or an alignment. So I bought a new tire from them and then wore that one out before I took the trailer to Merrill.
Minipad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Livingston , Texas
Thanks all

I should have thought about the backing in. I've read that before but just wasn't thinking. Appreciate all your inputs.
glenrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenrms View Post
I know everyone loves pictures and maybe I can successfully post a couple but I'm terrible with anything electronic
So, on my 2012 International tandem axle that I purchased last year, I just noticed that the wheels / tires aren't lined up. That meaning that the front streetside wheel is tipped in at the top and the front curbside wheel is tipped out at the top. Kinda like a race car but only slightly. Maybe it is the back wheels that are out of align. I can't tell but something's not right. Is this anything that can be corrected?
One note, after buying the trailer and reading posts, the first thing I did was to change out the tires and rims. (thank you forum members) One of the old tires was worn more than the others and I thought that was rather weird so I'm watching the Michelins now. After 10,000 miles, I see no unusual wear.
These pictures may be hard to see what I'm trying to describe.
Thanks to all. I love these forums. I've spent a ton of money from reading your problems and suggestions that I have read on daily posts. Wife doesn't get it.
My trailer's tires look like that occasionally after a turn, especially if backing in. It is normal. Try pulling straight forward a foot or so then straight backward a foot or so (no turning with both vehicles in a straight line). Do this a few times. If the tires still do not re-align themselves there is a problem. The wheels should re-align after moving in a straight line just a few feet. This little bit of movement also relieves stress on the tires/wheels/axles.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote