Old 07-26-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Livingston , Montana
Question Stupid axle question

Hi ....I have recived my new axle from andy along with new shocks etc.
after scooting around under my 65 Caravel (up on Rhino blocks as per the forum ...thanks) it looks to me like I might need to pull the belly pans off
Although I was planning to do this in the future ..I'd like to know if I need to do this now .....Instalation looks pretty straight foward any little hints or tricks from those that have already done this swap would be VERY helpful
can I use a floor jack on the axle itself or should I lift at the mounting plate?

thanks again you guys are the greatest!!!!

VAC & WBCCI #20416
1965 17' Caravel
J-0175680
2002 Avalanche 1500 4x4
1961 Willys-Overland Station Wagon

No matter where you go.....There you are....
Buckeroo Banzi....
flyrodbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Floor jack is fine...

I have a new set of axles on order - due to arrive probably later this week. I found that I had to remove my old axles before I could get my belly pan off. The part right above the axles was pinched by the axke mounting plates so tightly that I could not slide it out. So I guess the point is that in between axles is a good time to take out that piece at least.

The axles weigh something like 250 lbs a piece from what I understand. If I remember correctly the service manual on my 1973 suggests using a floor jack to remove/replace the axles. That is exactly what I did for gettin the old ones out. It worked great and the wheels on the floor jack made it really easy to move the axles out from under the trailer. If you do not already have a floor jack (I didn't) two things to think about when getting one are:

1.) The axles are not that heavy so you do not need the beefiest jack.

2.) Make sure the jack has engouh height in its overall lift. That was espcially important for me since my trailer is jacked up in the air on a sloping driveway. The frame mounting plate that the axles were attached to are about 24" up in the air at the back end of the trailer.

I think all together it couldn't have taken me more than about 1/2 hour to get the old axles out. Each axle has a total of 6 bolts to undo (two where the shocks attach to the frame). It probably took me longer to go to GI Joes and buy the floor jack.

I hope this helps,

Malcolm

Old 07-26-2004, 08:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
You also need jack stands...

By the way you will have to support the trailer with something other than your rhino jacks while you replace the axles. I have a jack stand under the back end of each of the mounting plates that the axles mount to that work just fine. They even have a notch in them that the metal plate fits right into.

Malcolm
Old 07-26-2004, 08:57 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Livingston , Montana
jack stands

Thanks Malcolm I have the jack stands the Rhinos were just to get the Caravel up a little higher to check things out .....I was wondering if I could lift the trailer onto the jack stands by using the floor jack to lift the old axle onto the jack stands ( got one of the COOL 2 ton aluminum jacks from sears)...
thanks joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
By the way you will have to support the trailer with something other than your rhino jacks while you replace the axles. I have a jack stand under the back end of each of the mounting plates that the axles mount to that work just fine. They even have a notch in them that the metal plate fits right into.

Malcolm
VAC & WBCCI #20416
1965 17' Caravel
J-0175680
2002 Avalanche 1500 4x4

Buckeroo Banzi....
Old 07-26-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
I see what you mean...

I see what you mean now about using the floor jack to lift the trailer at the axle. From what I understand that can damage the axle. Of course if you are going to throw them away that may be a moot point. What I don't know is if the axle might bend too much in the middle while you are jacking it up. I personally would feel a little uncomfortable being under the trailer while jacking it up which I guess you would need to be unless you have a pretty long handle on your floor jack. I went straight for the jack stands cause I needed more lift than I could get with ramps and I needed to correct for the slope (9" drop per 8' of driveway). I used a bottle jack placed between the wheels on one side under the axle mounting bracket. I lifted back and forth until I had the elevation I needed. Unfortunately I would bet that your ramps get in the way of jacking up from near the wheels. You might have to come down off of the ramps to be able to jack from the sides. I think if I were you I would try to stay out from under the trailer while it is in motion.

Malcolm
Old 07-26-2004, 09:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Did it on 68 Caravel

Actually had it done at a trailer frame shop. They didn't understand using shocks but without them I'ld still be under the trailer.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...6844#post96844
Looking for other tread with the fix but cann't find it. They cut off the shock bracket, turned it and reattached it. Andy gave his blessing after the fact. I never would have been able to do this and had I taken the axel off myself I would have really been stuck as I doubt I could have gotten it back on to move the trailer to the shop.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Found it

Note picture of fab. If this is confusing you are heading for trouble.
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=11418
Old 07-26-2004, 09:25 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Livingston , Montana
jack stands

Malcolm.......plan on getting her back on soild ground before i try to raise her up on the stands the rhinos were just for inspection much easier to slide the creeper around ....it apears with a single axle I would need to lift at the point where the logical place to put the stands are planning to stay away from under the trailer as much as poss. until secured on stands ....Doing the work inside of air cond. warehouse concrete floor.. air tools.. welder.. even a 15 ton electric trolly crane... oportunity great... expertise short

thanks again joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
I see what you mean now about using the floor jack to lift the trailer at the axle. From what I understand that can damage the axle. Of course if you are going to throw them away that may be a moot point. What I don't know is if the axle might bend too much in the middle while you are jacking it up. I personally would feel a little uncomfortable being under the trailer while jacking it up which I guess you would need to be unless you have a pretty long handle on your floor jack. I went straight for the jack stands cause I needed more lift than I could get with ramps and I needed to correct for the slope (9" drop per 8' of driveway). I used a bottle jack placed between the wheels on one side under the axle mounting bracket. I lifted back and forth until I had the elevation I needed. Unfortunately I would bet that your ramps get in the way of jacking up from near the wheels. You might have to come down off of the ramps to be able to jack from the sides. I think if I were you I would try to stay out from under the trailer while it is in motion.

Malcolm
VAC & WBCCI #20416
1965 17' Caravel
J-0175680
2002 Avalanche 1500 4x4

Buckeroo Banzi....
Old 07-27-2004, 07:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Some years the new ones fit out of the box. I don't think your will. Note the hole locations on the mounting bracket and the new axel. You may find that the plate is to short for the axel bracket and whole. If you search the forum you will find solutions of etending the mounting plate and /or new hole in the axel plate. Mine is welder on. I'll worry about getting it off in 20 years. Also note that clearance of the shock mount on the axel under he trailer. Mine had to be cut off and remounted which made a very fine setup.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:06 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Over59, will you be bringing this Caravel to the Forum rally in Jamaica? I have a 68 Caravel which could use a new axle too and I'd like to see what you had to do to make it work.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 01:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Bringing the 68 Caravel. The 59 Overlander is "almost" gutted. Wife requires comforts like seats, beds, lights so the Caravel is the travel trailer.