Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mpls , Minnesota
Stripped wheel bolt = New Axle?!?

I have my Sport 22FB into the dealer right now for wheel bearing re-packing, and was just told that they had trouble getting one of the wheels off and discovered one of the bolts was stripped. They are suggesting a new axle is required. This sounds *crazy* to me. Is this really the only option?

The trailer (2014) was purchased used from an authorized dealer and supposedly had full inspection which allowed me to pay $250 to transfer original owner's warranty which should cover through fall 2016. Just read fine print of warranty and it states it does not cover any part of the trailer not made by airstream (i.e. Dexter Axle?). Anyone have any advice?
MN Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
If it's a stripped lug nut/wheel stud then at most you need a new brake drum.

If the spindle nut that retains the drum and bearings has stripped the threads on the spindle you may have to replace the axle. The only way that the spindle would have been stripped would be for someone servicing the bearings to cross thread it. I would be contacting the dealer that did the inspection since they were the last ones to have the drums off.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Studs can usually be easily replaced. Sounds like your dealer workers need some training or they are going for what they hope is easy money from a less knowledgable customer.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Can't a the correct sized die be used to clean the threads off a spindle or even the brake drum wheel bolts?

Kelvin
Old 04-21-2016, 01:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
Mpls , Minnesota
Just heard back from dealer, and got clarification. It was spindle nut, not wheel lug nut. Good news (hopefully) was that once they got it off, they were able to clean the threads and get it back on no problem. Breathing a little easier now...

Thanks to all for the input.
MN Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Jeff View Post
Just heard back from dealer, and got clarification. It was spindle nut, not wheel lug nut. Good news (hopefully) was that once they got it off, they were able to clean the threads and get it back on no problem. Breathing a little easier now...

Thanks to all for the input.
Good new for sure.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
If the spindle nut that retains the drum and bearings has stripped the threads on the spindle you may have to replace the axle. The only way that the spindle would have been stripped would be for someone servicing the bearings to cross thread it. I would be contacting the dealer that did the inspection since they were the last ones to have the drums off.

Be sure to obtain and retain complete documentation of this incident, even if they claim to have "repaired" the problem. I agree that the only source of damaged threads on a spindle is technician error, and it shows quite a lack of experience on the part of the tech. If the threads cause a problem in the future, you want to be able to go back and prove this original damage.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
One should ask. Why it was difficult to remove? Under normal circumstances the spindle nut should be easily removed. There must be some thread damage in the nut or on the spindle.
IMHO the old nut should be replaced with a new nut. The new nut should be able to be screwed on with fingers only then tightened slightly to preload the bearing. Over tightening the spindle nut will damage the bearings.
If the old nut strips off during travel you could lose the wheel entirely.
You should take the coach to someone who knows about trailer axles and get them to check it out. Just because someone works for A$ doesn't mean they know what they are talking about.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
I'm glad you questioned the repair here, so you can question them there. They tried to make some easy money, but your knowledge of the axle assembly, took that away. Unfortunately, when it comes to money...you can't trust anyone anymore.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Sunriver , Oregon
Axle

Sounds like someone is trying to oversell you. Studs can be driven out with either a hammer or a press and new installed no problem. I'd question that one for sure. Replaced alot of damaged studs in my time in the automotive business and serviced many trailers and never ran across an issue requiring axle replacement. Unless your bearings were an issue as well and galled the spindles. Let us know the out come....Good Luck...
mcomeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Gonna scare you but did they chase the threads using the original threads or the new cross threads? Had this happen to a 61 Corvair and a year later found that the only thing holding the nut to the spindle was the cotter pin.

I would find it hard to believe that the spindle is integral with the axle assembly. It's a highly machined part. However, the spindle may be attached in a non-user repairable way or may not be sold as a separate piece.

Doesn't Inland RV sell replacement Dexter axles? Perhaps a call to one of their techs can help you identify alternatives

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by greghoro View Post
Gonna scare you but did they chase the threads using the original threads or the new cross threads? Had this happen to a 61 Corvair and a year later found that the only thing holding the nut to the spindle was the cotter pin.

I would find it hard to believe that the spindle is integral with the axle assembly. It's a highly machined part. However, the spindle may be attached in a non-user repairable way or may not be sold as a separate piece.

Doesn't Inland RV sell replacement Dexter axles? Perhaps a call to one of their techs can help you identify alternatives

Greg
Inland RV does sell Dexter axles, but so do a number of distributors around the country. You should be able to go on line and find them all. Perhaps there are customer service folks at Dexter who can answer your questions.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Look for Redneck trailer sales or any horse/stock trailer outfit. They usually have a service department.
There is nothing unique or special about the axle on an A$ trailer when it comes to servicing the axle or brakes.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 04:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
This is going to call for a highly-subjective decision for safety reasons.
The spindle nut and the associated axle threads are the main strength of the wheel retention....NOT the wheel studs.
IF they found them stripped, then the previous servicing shop did the damage, and they should have liability insurance to buy you a new axle and THAT IS WHAT I WOULD INSIST UPON!

The last thing you need going down Wolf Creek Pass is a wheel coming off the axle! Not only does this endanger YOU and your family... it also endangers everyone else on the road.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote