Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Strange torsion axle setup

Have been seeing many new "r-pod" trailers lately. They are using a torsion axle just like Airstream....except, the trailing arms are set at an upward angle, like what we would consider to need replacement, rather than downward. Just seems all wrong to me. When our wheels strike an object, they move slightly rearward as they "step" up and over the object. With arms pointing upward, the wheel is forced forward toward the object as it moves upward. Just seems all wrong to me.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
They did that to lower the deck height of the trailer. I have an equipment trailer (Cherokee brand) that has a negative starting angle.

Old 11-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
On the r-pod there is a 4" spacing block raising the frame above the axle mounting flanges that are welded to the axle tubes. On Airstreams the axle mounting flanges have a square slot onto which the axle tubes are placed then the assembly is welded together. The top of the flange rests against the bottom of the frame rail and the axle tube fits into a square slot in the axle mounting plate which has been welded to the side of the frame rail.
On the r-pod, the axle flange has an upside down "V" slot into which the square axle tube is welded thereby putting the axle tube in a diamond orientation in relation to the frame rail. This would make the trailer sit lower, except that they put the 4" block between the axle flange and the frame rail, thereby raising the body of the trailer a little higher than the up pointing trailing arm lowers it.

Find one and look at it. If that trailer is still here in the morning I'll try to get a photo.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
The r- pod I was looking at is gone. The guy said that he paid extra for the " off road" setup which included large somewhat aggressive tires. That may account for the 4" lifting block, but the negative starting angle is still a question for me. If you look at the trailing arm as the hand on a clock, starting at 10 o'clock and heading toward 12, as soon as you get to about 10:30 the movement is more forward than upward. Just seems all wrong to me.

Andy?

Old 11-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
The r- pod I was looking at is gone. The guy said that he paid extra for the " off road" setup which included large somewhat aggressive tires. That may account for the 4" lifting block, but the negative starting angle is still a question for me. If you look at the trailing arm as the hand on a clock, starting at 10 o'clock and heading toward 12, as soon as you get to about 10:30 the movement is more forward than upward. Just seems all wrong to me.

Andy?

Most everything has a purpose as well as being OK for a given use.

When we try to make sense as to "why" a torsion axle has such a crazy design, it all depends on the intended use.

The torsion arm angle can be most anything a buyer wants, within it's design limits.

Obviously an upward torsion arm would lower the trailer closer to the ground, but that also depends on the design of the frame and the size of the tires.

For an Airstream use, WHOA NELLY. Well maybe not, if we used 30 inch tires or so.

Andy