Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Spindles

Could someone give me a lesson on spindles? I don't understand the number rating etc. And what is stock on a '63 single axle Safari? Many thanks.
BabyBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Spindles

Anybody? Anybody? Class?
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
It attaches to the trailing arm of the axle. I don't believe they are replaceable on an Airstream axle, but we replace a ton of them on Blackhawks, Chinooks and Apaches in the Army. The backing plate is mounted to it and the wheel bearings and wheel hub/drum rotate on its axis. As far as size and ratings, I'm don't know. You'd be best off to call and talk with an axle manufacturer or distributor. My new Axis axles I purchased from Colin Hyde have new spindles.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Yup, Top is correct, spindles are not replaceable. They are welded to the end of the torsion arm which is intergral to the whole axle assembly.
Although the 6 lug Airstream axles are not notorious for spindle failure, 5 lug axles on Caravels are. They literally crack & the whole hub & wheel assembly falls off the trailer causing all kinds of body & floor damage.
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers View Post
Could someone give me a lesson on spindles? I don't understand the number rating etc. And what is stock on a '63 single axle Safari? Many thanks.
Babyboomers,
Your trailer should have a nominal 5000 lb axle, de-rated to 4000 lbs. This size of axle comes with 12" diameter brakes with larger spindles/bearings than would typically come on a 3500 lb rated axle. The "5000" lb axle is actually designed to be assembled to suit requirements from 4000 lbs to 6000 lbs, so for your application, you'll have a lot of extra capacity in the spindle/bearing & braking department.
Hopefully this helps you out,

Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:46 AM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
BabyBoomers,

I'm curious why you are asking about spindles. Has something happened to the spindles on your axles?

Or did you mean to ask about your axles?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Spindles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
BabyBoomers,

I'm curious why you are asking about spindles. Has something happened to the spindles on your axles?

Or did you mean to ask about your axles?
Thanks everybody for the followup. I meant to ask about spindles. In the thread that I asked the question (the mod thought that it should have its own thread) the poster was asking about no. 10 spindles on their axle instead of no. 11, etc. I didn't know what it meant and what the capacities are.

Since I will be buying an axle someday and will have the opportunity to spec it, I thought I better know if I have some options! Many thanks.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #8
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
...the poster was asking about no. 10 spindles on their axle instead of no. 11, etc. I didn't know what it meant and what the capacities are.
Well, that makes two of us. Since as mentioned above, the spindles are part of the axle, yours was the first time I had seen any discussion of them on Airforums.

Quote:
Since I will be buying an axle someday and will have the opportunity to spec it, I thought I better know if I have some options! Many thanks.
Roger that. Thanks for asking the question!
Old 03-16-2011, 04:27 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Spindles

I'll try to find the thread where I originally asked the question. Maybe the Mod who moved it to it's own mat remember where he got it. BabyBoomers
Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks everybody for the followup. I meant to ask about spindles. In the thread that I asked the question (the mod thought that it should have its own thread) the poster was asking about no. 10 spindles on their axle instead of no. 11, etc. I didn't know what it meant and what the capacities are.

I think what was meant was the axle TUBE is a number 10 or number 11. in some instances, a derated #11 tube was used so 12" brakes could be used.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Your original axle rating for the 1963 22 foot Airstream, was 4000 pounds.

Airstream kept that rating on the 22 foot trailers until 1965 when they changed it to 5000 pounds.

Changes in axle ratings came about from feedback from owners, regarding handling and payloads.

I would suggest you go with a 4500 pound rating, with 12 inch brakes and a greater starting angle, which contributes to easier hookup to your tow vehicle.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Babyboomers,

I moved it because the discussion in the axle thread ignored your question as you put it. The spindle size is not a choice. However axles size is.

And your particular unit as mentioned by Inland RV and Colin H is noted for breaking spindles when in service. (And other smaller units from the early 60's)

While there isn't a rating or a size description for spindles, there is for axles. Axle replacement is the option you have to correct the known problem with the spindles your unit has. And there are several threads on units like Bambi/Carvels, Globe Trotter,and Safari.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Your original axle rating for the 1963 22 foot Airstream, was 4000 pounds.

Airstream kept that rating on the 22 foot trailers until 1965 when they changed it to 5000 pounds.

Changes in axle ratings came about from feedback from owners, regarding handling and payloads.

I would suggest you go with a 4500 pound rating, with 12 inch brakes and a greater starting angle, which contributes to easier hookup to your tow vehicle.

Andy
And I think that you are recommending 30 degree angle?
Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 22' Safari
Tulsa , Oklahoma
And thank you too Action Moderator Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Babyboomers,

I moved it because the discussion in the axle thread ignored your question as you put it. The spindle size is not a choice. However axles size is.

And your particular unit as mentioned by Inland RV and Colin H is noted for breaking spindles when in service. (And other smaller units from the early 60's)

While there isn't a rating or a size description for spindles, there is for axles. Axle replacement is the option you have to correct the known problem with the spindles your unit has. And there are several threads on units like Bambi/Carvels, Globe Trotter,and Safari.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I appreciate your help very much.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Quote:
Spindle rating is how much weight can that spindle support w/o failure and the pair of spindles should never be less than the weight rating on the axle in general. I have a pic & specs on my original '64 safari axle spindles. Inner bearing spindle dia. 1.75 inches. Outer bearing dia. 1.25 inches. As I recall the new #10 Dexter axle was that size or maybe less, avaliable up to 3500 lbs with 10 inch brakes. The # 11 Dexter axle spindles are slightly larger dia. than my original, with 12 inch brakes and standard at 5000 lbs. The # 11 is a heavyer axle all around than the #10 or my original. I chose a # 11 Dexter derated to 4500 lbs, very pleased. The only differance between a standard and "derated" #11 axle is shorter rubber cords inside. All else remains the same. In the case of my '64 safari if I had used a # 10 axle I'd allways be flirting with the axles maximum limit. With the # 11 install it and forget it.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
And I think that you are recommending 30 degree angle?
Yes.

Any coating, other than regular paint, is a waste of money, as that special coating does not protect the inside of the square tube.

Certainly, most everyone knows that the outside of the axle tube, can look great or terrible, yet has zero effect on the rubber rods.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote