Old 11-28-2006, 10:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Merrimakc , New Hampshire
Specific Grease Seal Model

I have a friend who is a camper mechanic that is going to grease my bearings. I am trying to get all of the materials he will need so he can complete the job. I have been trying to order 4 grease seals for my 1972 Tradewind. My airstream dealership is extremely far away and it will take several days to get shipped to me. My local camper place has plenty but will need me to bring in my current grease seal to match it. However, I do not want to disassemble it. It is also raining here in New Hampshire.

I am trying to find any other company model that would be the equivilent to airstream grease seal model #680370-100.

My friend is going to come over soon so I can make my hit the road date and this might be the only time to get together with him, so I don't have a lot of time to do this right. Any help or advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

Thanks a million.

A blue beret a day keeps the doctor away. - Wally Byam
AirSpleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
The only problem with giving the Airstream part number is the local auto parts house may not have a conversion for that number to their seal inventory. On my 66 Caravel I had to bring the seal to them and they had several options - National Seal Company is my preferance. Good luck with the part but I have to say I don't think you need to order from Airstream - which will be expensive - but you may have to remove it and go to the parts store with it. There will be some delay in dis-assembly and you can run do it while he is working on the other side.

Michael & Tina with Layla and Preston BZ
The family has grown.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
Silver Mist
1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
If you take off the wheel without taking the whole thing apart you shoud see the seal numbers embossed in the steel.

Get that and pop the wheel back on.
'77 Sovereign Intl 31' CB
WBCCI R2 Rep VAC 11411 Metro NY VP

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:17 PM   #4

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi

My '77 uses AS P/N 42385 and it crosses to a double lip #22558 that is availble at every trailer repair/sales location in the known universe.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Merrimakc , New Hampshire
If my model is AS #680370-100 will that double lip one be appropriate or will I need to find the equivilent to mine?

I would like to imagine that the '77 version and the '72 would most likely be the same. But we could have different brake sizes etc.
A blue beret a day keeps the doctor away. - Wally Byam
AirSpleen is offline   Reply With Quote