Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
sun city west , Arizona
single or double axle

thinking of buying a bambi single axle, i have owned a 27 foot classic. looking for opinions on disadvantages or advantages to a single axle airstream???
wrbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Disadvantages: (and this comes from a singe axle owner):
(1) You have to jack the trailer up to change a tire ... no other option. (But this is no different than having to jack up a car to change a tire.)
(2) Single axle trailers are also a bit more difficult to back up because the pivot point is very short ... this is minor as far as I'm concerned.

None of these has stopped us from loving and enjoying our Bambi.

Advantages:
(1) You can tow with a smaller vehicle.
(2) They are easy to tow.
(3) You can get into small spaces.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Same discussion a couple days ago

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...in-117075.html

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Another disadvantage of a single axle trailer is all of the load is on two wheels and tires. Lose the use of one and the train comes to a stop. Typically more load is on any single tire/wheel. So those tires will take more punishment than a double axle trailer tire.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-13-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
I have 4 campers, 16 and 22 ft single X. Two 28 ft dbl X. All new or near new running gear. No comparison with performance. I pull with an F150 4x4. Both double X rigs are heavier with more surface area. Both ride smother, handle better, stop easier, less precievable wind effect and bow wave push or sway from other big rigs at interstate speeds. Single or double work but I find the dbls a bit easier on the nerves!
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Advantages you only have 2 tires to replace , only two wheel bearings to service,one set of brakes to maintain, turns quick for tight maneuvers when backing up !less wear on tire from tight turns you have one pivot point!so if you have double axle on tight turns you will hear tires scrubbing on pavement . Less problems with wheel alignment .on single axle you don't have one axle fighting the other if slightly out of alignment,less tires and rims to clean, better fuel economy less rolling resistance and not carrying extra axle weight,only one axle to replace down the road .double axle now:four tires on the road means tire don't carry as much weight so possible cheaper price per tire (less load range) more stable on the road, looks better then single axle ,less chance of accident if one tire blows out,easier to change flat tire, double axle spreads the weight over a larger frame area,so a lighter frame can be used ,but most double axles trailers are longer so frame is the same size or larger, if one wheel bearing goes you might take the wheel off and drive a short distance to a safe spot off the main road.
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I think people that are putting a lot of concern over the number of axles are sort of missing the big picture. It's not like you can add an axle to a Bambi, or I could remove an axle from my 30'.

The fewer/extra maintenance issues based on the number of axles are minimal compared to your discontent if you buy a trailer that you find is too small or too large for you.

For example: Yes, it takes me more time to repack my bearings than it would if I only had one axle. But the additional time isn't even double, because there's a lot of time getting everything out to start and put away at the end. Each wheel is probably an additional 20-30 minutes of work (I'm guessing, I've never timed it)...ONCE a year.

Example 2: Yep, two more tires for me than a single axle. But how often do you need tires? Once every 5 years? The extra cost, on a per-mile or per-day basis, is minimal.

There are differences in how they tow and back up, but those are minor compared to how you'll feel USING it while camping.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
sun city west , Arizona
single or double axle

thanks for all the replies, all of you confirmed what i thought so i will go ahead and find the smaller airstream that that fits my lifestyle and budget and not be concerned with the number of axles.

AND IF ANYONE OUT THERE IS SELLING A 23 FOOT OR SMALLER STREAM PLEASE CONTACT ME

THANKS

wrbaron@hotmail.com
wrbaron is offline   Reply With Quote