Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Springfield , State
Shock brackets inland RV axles

Does anybody happen to have the instructions that come with the shock brackets from inland? I've lost mine. I'm installing on a 1962 and am going to have to weld the brackets and re drill the hole. Any pics or information would be helpful. Trying to get it done today and Inland is closed. Thanks in advance for any info you have!

Scitt
Scott P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 12:37 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Lamar , Missouri
working on mine today. 2 problems I am having; original axles were 2 3/4 wide the new ones are 3". I have to enlarge the frame opening 1/8" on both sides. one was 1/2 covered and I drilled and dremel ed it to work.
my question and concern is the mounted shock braket. I put them on the original spot on the new axles then noticed the new axle swing arm is 1" wider than the original and the shock offset then frame to axle. it angles inward slightly.. I wonder if that could cause a concern?
walleye001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Why does Inland sell axles that need mods or welding to install? Axles that Colin Hyde sells strait bolt up no mods or welding. Andy is AS guru but I don't understand these Questions for installation.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I bought mine from Colin as well. There were no major issues with it.
Pretty easy install other than it was beastly heavy .
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Here ya go.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ml#post1105660
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Why does Inland sell axles that need mods or welding to install? Axles that Colin Hyde sells strait bolt up no mods or welding. Andy is AS guru but I don't understand these Questions for installation.
I bought mine from Inland last November because I had a small window of time and Andy could deliver to the nearest Dexter dealer in two weeks. I could not even contact Colin at that time. Also, when I had spoken with Colin the previous year I found out that the stock axle for my Overlander had the brake size reduced to 10 inches diameter instead of the original 12 inches. Researching with other vintage owners who had gone with the smaller brakes, there was a consensus that this reduced trailer braking power by 10 to 20%. Being paranoid after a couple of TV brake failures I chose to go with the larger axle Andy recommended with 12 inch brakes. I will admit that his installation instructions were terrible and seemed to have no correlation to my trailer at all.

Having said that, the installation was not hard to figure out and the diagram for the shock bracket placement was correct. (I've misplaced it now)

We enlarged the square slots in the side plates by taking about 3/16 or a 1/4 inch slice off the rear edge of each slot which ensured the front of each slot would keep the axle alignment the same. (We were careful to check the alignment before removing the old axles and after installation of the new axles.) Doing it this way probably added a little tongue weight but it was not measurable.

Another thing to look out for if switching to Dexter axles is that the Dexters have 1 inch risers at each position. In our case the original Henschen axles had been installed with a 3/4 inch wooden shim on top of each riser between it and the frame so it worked out well.

We also noticed that the Dexter mounting brackets were welded on the outside instead of the inside. The weld bead caused a little interference with the side plates on the trailer frame but a slight bevel on the inside edges of the square slots took care of that.

BTW, I was not physically able to do this myself but we are fortunate to have a couple of good men who do heavy trailer and truck repair up near Inman, SC. Their shop name is Ledbetter Welding Service. If you can get to them from where you are, you could not do better and they now have the very successful conversion of my Overlander axles under their belts. They didn't mind a bit that I crawled around and looked over their shoulders thru the whole project. They charged only $1,260 start to finish. I will be glad to put you in touch with them if you can contact me thru Air Forums.

I forgot to add that we had to drill two holes per position thru the axle bracket and the side plates for the mounting bolts. There was no way the holes in the axle brackets would match those in the side plates.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
The axles I ordered from Inland had no issues at all.Bolted in Perfect match. Very pleased with them. Ours is a 1972 Safari double axle.
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
I bought mine from Inland last November because I had a small window of time and Andy could deliver to the nearest Dexter dealer in two weeks. I could not even contact Colin at that time. Also, when I had spoken with Colin the previous year I found out that the stock axle for my Overlander had the brake size reduced to 10 inches diameter instead of the original 12 inches. Researching with other vintage owners who had gone with the smaller brakes, there was a consensus that this reduced trailer braking power by 10 to 20%. Being paranoid after a couple of TV brake failures I chose to go with the larger axle Andy recommended with 12 inch brakes. I will admit that his installation instructions were terrible and seemed to have no correlation to my trailer at all.

Having said that, the installation was not hard to figure out and the diagram for the shock bracket placement was correct. (I've misplaced it now)

We enlarged the square slots in the side plates by taking about 3/16 or a 1/4 inch slice off the rear edge of each slot which ensured the front of each slot would keep the axle alignment the same. (We were careful to check the alignment before removing the old axles and after installation of the new axles.) Doing it this way probably added a little tongue weight but it was not measurable.

Another thing to look out for if switching to Dexter axles is that the Dexters have 1 inch risers at each position. In our case the original Henschen axles had been installed with a 3/4 inch wooden shim on top of each riser between it and the frame so it worked out well.

We also noticed that the Dexter mounting brackets were welded on the outside instead of the inside. The weld bead caused a little interference with the side plates on the trailer frame but a slight bevel on the inside edges of the square slots took care of that.

BTW, I was not physically able to do this myself but we are fortunate to have a couple of good men who do heavy trailer and truck repair up near Inman, SC. Their shop name is Ledbetter Welding Service. If you can get to them from where you are, you could not do better and they now have the very successful conversion of my Overlander axles under their belts. They didn't mind a bit that I crawled around and looked over their shoulders thru the whole project. They charged only $1,260 start to finish. I will be glad to put you in touch with them if you can contact me thru Air Forums.

I forgot to add that we had to drill two holes per position thru the axle bracket and the side plates for the mounting bolts. There was no way the holes in the axle brackets would match those in the side plates.
My experience with the Inland RV axle was exactly the same for my 1967 Caravel. New holes in axle bracket and mounting plate, a little grinding of interfering welds and it slotted right in. Only wish I had test fitted the axle before welding on the shock brackets as the brackets made if very hard to drill the needed bolt holes.

I order a bare axle from Inland RV (i.e. no brakes). Big mistake as the spindle on the new axle is much larger than the original and bearings do not fit. Been trying to get Andy to help me solve the problem for about a month now, but he wont call me back...after the sale service leaves a bit to be desired. I was hoping he knows the right bearing combination to work with existing 10" drums, but I am beginning to think I need to buy all new brakes to make it work. Come on Andy, a bit more customer service/care would be appreciated.
David F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I got my axles from Inland RV with the brackets welded on. Along with shocks, brakes, bearings, grease, mounting bolts, wheels, lug nuts, hub caps and dynamic balancers.

The axles installed without any mods took about an hour each. Be sure to install the shocks on the axle before installing the axle.
Then the the rest of the brakes took about an hour for each axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3618.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	272938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3625.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	272939  

Name:	IMG_3617.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	176.8 KB
ID:	272940  

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
I had a good experience with inlandrv in 2015. I had to make the mods, but was not that difficult with help from this forum
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
St. Michaels , Maryland
Here are the install instructions that I got from Andy after a week of trying to get him on the phone.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475803026.204965.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	272988

As for what I have learned on my own:

Set the shock bracket just inside of the seam on the axle. Use old axle for orientation.

Line up the axle on the chassis using the rear holes.

Use a cut off wheel, dremel, or whatever you can to make the seat in the chassis big enough for the axle to fit in.

Make sure you attach shock absorbers before mounting axle.

Drill out appropriate hole location for the front mounting bolt to connect axle to chassis.

I also have found it much easier to work with these axles with the hubs and brakes off. I will clean the spindle and grease the assembly as I build from the inside out. They are rather heavy fully assembled, but I am also working solo.

Have a cold beer ready.

Cheers,

John.
captainjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Lamar , Missouri
location of bracket? I just did my 2 axles on my 72. the 1st bracket I welded as shown in diagram. This caused a 1/2 in. offset in the shock mounting to the trailer. On the 2nd axle I welded the bracket to be in-line with the trailer frame. I am hoping the offset will be OK as I am not planning on moving the 1st set of axles.
3 pictures. original axles notice length of gap between bracket and axle arm. on 2 and 3 note the location of the welded bracket.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1475853153837.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	273003   Click image for larger version

Name:	1475853389160.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	273004  

Name:	1475853421054.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	273005  
Old 10-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
St. Michaels , Maryland
I would be prepared to fabricate.

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475861001.865820.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	273008

I'm in the same boat. I plan on getting the axles seated properly and thru bolting a new home for the base of the shock.

Anybody have any good advice on the best angle for these shock absorbers?

Thanks
Old 10-07-2016, 11:54 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
St. Michaels , Maryland

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1475862873.729057.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	273011a

Very helpful.

John
Old 10-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Lamar , Missouri
I actually picked my axles up at a Redneck axle distributor in Springfield mo. They had acres of axles and warehouses full of parts. I would also try them for parts.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:20 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
My experience with the Inland RV axle was exactly the same for my 1967 Caravel. New holes in axle bracket and mounting plate, a little grinding of interfering welds and it slotted right in. Only wish I had test fitted the axle before welding on the shock brackets as the brackets made if very hard to drill the needed bolt holes.

I order a bare axle from Inland RV (i.e. no brakes). Big mistake as the spindle on the new axle is much larger than the original and bearings do not fit. Been trying to get Andy to help me solve the problem for about a month now, but he wont call me back...after the sale service leaves a bit to be desired. I was hoping he knows the right bearing combination to work with existing 10" drums, but I am beginning to think I need to buy all new brakes to make it work. Come on Andy, a bit more customer service/care would be appreciated.
Google Dexter to find their network of distributors and customer service for a Dexter Catalog. Their catalog is comprehensive with all the information you will need as to dimensions and bearings. They have a number of distributors around the country. The one I picked my axles up from was called "RED NECK TRAILER SUPPLY" in Lincolnton, NC. BTW, I did order mine with full brake and hub assemblies which greatly simplified things. Also, you can order fully assembled brake assemblies that are ready to bolt on.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
I purchased through Andy at Inland. I researched and figured out all the dimensions required to order from Red Neck in Mira Loma. In the end, their price was more than Inland. Also, it would have taken 2 to 3 weeks when Andy had them in stock.

Enlarging of the frame for my Argosy would need to be done whether purchased from Red Neck or Inland. The axles purchased from Inland had Red Neck markings/stickers on them.

For my application, the shock mounts were welded on prior to pick up. I ordered them then picked up the next day.

Andy also gave me a Airstream!.......................key chain. Very cool.

Just my experience with them.
909kenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 11:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
It cost $1,260 to install Inland's axles?

Seriously?

I paid $400 to have Colin Hyde's axles installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
I bought mine from Inland last November because I had a small window of time and Andy could deliver to the nearest Dexter dealer in two weeks. <snip>

<snip>

<snip>
Old 11-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Reno , Nevada
I'm in process of swapping axles on my 73 TW. I picked up my axles from Andy at Inland RV as I was going to be in the area for a wedding anyway. Going in to this I knew I wanted to increase the weight carrying capacity of my axles so I knew I would have to make adjustments to the frame. I was expecting to weld on (or have them welded) the shock mounts but found they were already on. I didn't have a problem putting the shocks on after the axle was in place. Yes I did have to enlarge the frame where the axle tube fits by 1/4" but while I was at InlandRV Andy told me to set the bolt in the rear hole and swing it up and check to see where I need to cut. When I did this I found that the forward section of the frame would need to be cut as well as a new hole for the forward bolt (which he told me as well). Again I knew this going and so it's not a surprise. Also by cutting the forward section it left the rear unmolested and still set at the factory specs.

So far I am happy with my results and while the instructions that came with the axles are pretty basic the conversation I had with Andy was priceless. There was a wealth of information I received about Airstreams in general and it only cost me a trip to Southern California.
DiHrdBowTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 01:05 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Just a reminder, folks...

Per the Community Rules, this is not the place to air Dealer, vendor, or seller disputes, particularly when that dealer, seller, or vendor is named.

"Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes

This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through the long-established legal or arbitration systems or the Better Business Bureau but not through our community."

Several posts have been removed from this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation, and please do not repost.

The Site Team