Old 10-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #15
1961 Bambi

1961 16' Bambi
Federal Way , Washington
Thank you all! Today's mission is to go to several local RV repair places and shops to see who I feel I can trust and has the equipment/awareness described by dbj216. (Yes, it's a welding job with the 1961 bambi) I spoke with Andy and will be ordering what I need on Monday, then he'll have the address to ship it to. At last I feel like something positive is happening. First the running gear, then onto the other little things. Thank you again! (And if you see 4758 going down the road, you'll know we made it.)

Old 10-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I chuckle when you say "...then on to other little things." I guess a hundred little things ends up being a BIG thing. The vintage Airstream hobby keeps us real busy and the wallet empty. Work on it two days so we can travel in it one day, that's about the ratio I have found.

But axle replacement is a BIG thing and adds equivalent value to your Airstream. Keep your receipts so you can show your insurance person, and a prospective buyer some day.

Now on to that hole in the subfloor, or that leaky window, or that worn door hinge, or that fridge that won't work, etc, etc.

David

Old 10-18-2014, 11:52 PM   #17
1961 Bambi

1961 16' Bambi
Federal Way , Washington
dbj216...have you been peeking in the window? Actually, I don't have those issues (except the refrig), but do have about a dozen not-so-little things. When a person coined the phrase "labor of love" they were obviously referring to owning a vintage airstream! But thanks for the tip about saving receipts. I do have a book I keep, but receipts is a great idea. Can I write it off as an "investment?" no... Yes, get the wheels off the list, then it's only another couple of college ruled pages. sigh...
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #18
GlamperGirl

Lady fern, I am in Seattle. This is my second trailer. Option one. There is Ryan's RV in Everett that many of my friends have taken their vintage trailers to for repair. I am considering them for work on my airstream. By the way I just got my airstream. Option two. This summer I met a man named Larry that has done several trailers. He did some work on my 62 Aloha. $60 and hours. He told me is should not be more than two to three hours to pop a new axle on my 65 globetrotter. His shop is in Renton. Option three is Evergreen RV in shoreline. They have my airstream right now for a new jack, coupled, wheel bearings and getting my lights functioning. PM me if you like to chat.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-20-2014, 12:37 PM   #19
GlamperGirl

Forgot to add, I am ordering the axle from Andy! What a nice man and I so appreciate his guidance. Inland RV. I'm probably going to do a frame up restore as step one.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 10-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #20
1961 Bambi

1961 16' Bambi
Federal Way , Washington
Thank you, thumbelinadj for the suggestions. I'll be calling. I, too, think Andy is great!
Old 10-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #21
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Inland RV, and Andy especially, were VERY helpful in my axle replacement. I can't recommend them highly enough.

-Red
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #22
GlamperGirl

Ladyfern19,
What's going on with the axle? Evergreen RV results for me on the work I had told you about was great. Even better was they machined my door knob and parts and saved me money. I like that kind of behavior rather than recommending a replacement.
Hope all is well,
Dena
Old 10-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
Do all axle bolt holes line up or do some have to be modified? I would check.
Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdod25 View Post
Do all axle bolt holes line up or do some have to be modified? I would check.
Sometimes two tof them must slightly be modified.

Not a biggy.

The very best someone can do today, is have 12 inch self adjusting brakes, that do cost a little more, and a much larger starting angle.

Today's tow vehicles are higher profile than 40 years ago.

Raising the trailer, makes hitching up, a lot easier.

Andy
Old 10-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbelinadj View Post
Ladyfern19,
What's going on with the axle? Evergreen RV results for me on the work I had told you about was great. Even better was they machined my door knob and parts and saved me money. I like that kind of behavior rather than recommending a replacement.
Hope all is well,
Dena
Torsion axles last about 25 years, no matter who you talk with.

If someone told you that the original axles for a 1965 Airstream are still OK, they have done two things.

1. They know nothing about torsion axles.
2. They certainly were not truthful with you.

Ask anyone on this Forums, the expected age out, of torsion axles.

Andy
Old 10-31-2014, 12:37 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
Not a biggie if you have a cutting torch and time. They don't drill out well.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:53 PM   #27
1961 Bambi

1961 16' Bambi
Federal Way , Washington
Talking

Thank you all! I ordered axle and the rest of the running gear (and a whole lot of other stuff!) from Andy at Inland. Thank you, Andy, for you patience and answering all my questions! I'm hoping it all ships out today and gets here next week. The Bambi is at a reputable shop that does tons of trailer work and, with Andy's instructions, I feel they'll be able to do a good job. Right next door is another shop that says it can do the other work for me, including some plumbing and electrical. The upholstery shop up in Burien has the cushions and they get started next week. So...soon it should be somewhat functional and better looking. And yes, thanks to Andy, safer. Now if I could only find a Dometic M16 refrigerator...I've responded to a couple of classified ads and they never responded to the inquiries. But, I will keep trying. Thank you all!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfern19 View Post
Thank you all! I ordered axle and the rest of the running gear (and a whole lot of other stuff!) from Andy at Inland. Thank you, Andy, for you patience and answering all my questions! I'm hoping it all ships out today and gets here next week. The Bambi is at a reputable shop that does tons of trailer work and, with Andy's instructions, I feel they'll be able to do a good job. Right next door is another shop that says it can do the other work for me, including some plumbing and electrical. The upholstery shop up in Burien has the cushions and they get started next week. So...soon it should be somewhat functional and better looking. And yes, thanks to Andy, safer. Now if I could only find a Dometic M16 refrigerator...I've responded to a couple of classified ads and they never responded to the inquiries. But, I will keep trying. Thank you all!!!

Thank you for your patience.

Sometimes special things for Airstreams that are 4 to 5 or more decades old, take time.

Your order shipped complete yesterday on a large pallet.

Andy