Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2017, 06:04 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Coleman , United States
Sandblasting and Axles

Hello, I'll be tackling a complete lift off this week. During this process, I will be removing the floor and handling any welding issues. I'll start with sandblasting then replace outriggers, patch any issues then POR15 the frame.

One thing that I didn't consider is sandblasting with the axles and tires ON, would this be a problem? Is this even possible?

Since I'll be down to the frame and it's a 1963, should I just plan on replacing both axles? If yes, where do I buy one (how do I know what one to purchase) and how hard is it to do ourselves during the lift off (bare chassis) process?

Same would hold for the tires/wheels. We haven't replaced those yet but is that easy enough to do ourselves if I purchased the tires/wheels?

Thank you in advance!!
ThePooches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
First off, you should update your profile with your purchase!

I can't imagine any issue with sandblasting the axle or parts, but given it's a '63, I suspect new ones are warranted if in the budget.

Conventional places to order axles from is inland RV or Collin Hyde. Just google them.

I've heard rumors that the possibility exists to order from Tractor Supply. I suspect for a lot less dollars. Sure would love to learn about that.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Axles can also be ordered from Dexter. There should be a dealer near your location, Redneck is the closest to me. When buying through their dealers there is no shipping costs.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If you can do a shell-off, then replacing axles is a piece of cake. It literally amounts to 4 bolts per axle, some heavy lifting, and connecting up the brake wiring.

When I did my shell-off, I flipped the frame in order to work on the bottom, install tanks and under-floor insulation, belly skin, and finally to install the new axles. If you do not intend to lift and flip your frame, then there is really no hurry to replace the axles, in fact, I would recommend doing it as one of the last things you do in your rebuild, since the rubber torsion rods age, and there is no sense in your trailer sitting in storage over the winter on brand new axles. That said, it will be easier to replace the axles without the shell on, and easier still if the frame is upside down.

I don't see any issue with sand blasting with the (old) axles on. If you intend to actually tow the trailer on the same axles that you sand blast, I would make an effort to keep the dust and sand out of the drums, and be carefulof the brake wires.

Last I heard, Colin Hyde is the distributor for Dexter axles, so whether you order from him, or Inland, they are coming through Colin. The advantage of using him, as opposed to making your own measurements and taking a more direct route, is that he already has all the factory specs, and no measurements on your part are necessary. If you order your own axles and are off by 1/2" on some critical measurement, then you're stuffed. The last axle I ordered took about 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I did it, no problems. Towed frame with axles to the sandblaster, he sandblasted and primed the frame with the axles on. No issues. Towed it back home with the old axles.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
what or whom is Redneck??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Axles can also be ordered from Dexter. There should be a dealer near your location, Redneck is the closest to me. When buying through their dealers there is no shipping costs.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
http://www.redneck-trailer.com/Linco...hCarolina.aspx
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote