Old 04-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Safari gets new axle

I replaced the axle on my Safari for all the usual reasons. Rough ride, negative angle, and having it drop
one to two inches in 1000 miles after many years of neglect. Being as I have more time than money I went
the Dexter route. This post is a little long but covers the trials and tribulations from start to finish.

The 1961 is one of the first to change from leaf springs to the torsion axle from what I understand. My
original axle was welded to a plate that was bolted to the frame with 3 - 5/8" bolts. Of course these bolts had
rusted so much that the only way to remove them was to grind them off. To get to them required the removal
of the backing plates and those bolts were also rusted beyond turning, requiring more grinding. In about 3
hours I had the axle on the ground and measured. Even though I was alone, I said words I had never heard
before and didn't bleed too much. A short time later I had the six new 5/8" holes drilled in the new plates to
match the holes in the frame.

It took another hour to drive to the local dealer and order the new axle. The dealer and I both talked to the guy
about the order and then I had the guy read back the order and specs to me to be sure he had it right. I was
taking a cue from "Epiphany gets new axles". To avoid shipping costs I agreed to wait until the next scheduled
run in two weeks. It was mid February and I didn't need the trailer until April.............................
Two weeks later I found that my axle had not been ordered......it had been forgotten! I re-ordered and waited
another two weeks and got the call that my axle was in. From 15 feet away I could tell that one important detail
had been overlooked. The mounting brackets were not reversed. My order clearly said "reversed" so I refused
the axle. I am generally pretty mellow and did not take it out on my dealer, but instead told him to let Dexter
know that I was pretty irate and wanted the correct axle "EXPEDITED" . My axle was built on 3/24 in Oklahoma
in the morning and was delivered to Oregon 3/26 in the AM and the tolerancers were within 1/64th of and inch
of my order. The paint was still wet! There were no shipping charges. I don't know how they got it here, I
couldn't see where the jet pack and wings had been attached.

I welded the side mount bracket kits to my plates, drilled the required 5/8th holes and had the axle mounted in
about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I did have the help of a floor jack to position the axle which was invaluable since I was
alone.

I then spent another 8 or so hours chasing down shorts and completely rewired the electric brakes.

So................would I do it again? You bet!! I have the tools needed and I also have the luxury of being able to
work indoors in my barn while it snows outside. And now that my wounds are nearly healed I am very happy
with the results.

Do I suggest that others should go the Dexter route? If you have the knowledge, tools, and more time
than money, then go for it! My dollars don't come easily and I treasure them.

The ride is fantastic! I left things out on the table and took the Safari for a 60 mile ride and nothing moved.

Total time for R & R and ordering (not including the month and two days waiting time) was about 9 hours. Also
does not include rewiring the brakes.

Total cost $385 axle
$ 28 iron plates
$12 bolts

$425 Total

Sam

Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Sam, the price is right! Seems like you got along very well with the order, dismount, and install. I hope the Safari has many more dependable years of travel ahead.

visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Wow....very informative post and congratulations on getting the new axle installed. I was going to install my own but had a knee replacement around the same time so took it to the dealer to have it done. They put a Henschen on.

The ride is much better and very smooth also.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 23' Safari
New Orleans , Louisiana
- good job, sam. if I may ask a few specs: axle #, weight rating, down-angle, and did you mount shocks? thanks
fotochop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #5

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Great post SAMB. I'm glad things worked out great for you! Fotochop beat me to the other questions...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
In answer to the questions:

#10 axle
3500 pound rating
22.5 down angle
no shocks yet, but I saved my old brackets

I weighed the Safari at the end of the rebuild with 2 batteries,full water and propane, most of my stuff, and none of my wife's stuff. I hope she doesn't want to take more than 730 lbs.

2770 lbs axle load
420 lbs tongue weight (15.2%)
3190 lbs total

I still have 10 to 15 degree down angle with axles loaded (guess by looking). I did order the high profile bracket and the trailer sits up about 2" to 3" higher. I incorporated the side mount bracket kit by welding them to the plates which are bolted to the frame. My axle order specs took into account the additional thickness of the brackets. It was much easier to align the brackets instead of the axle while working alone. In addition, all of the 5/8" holes could be drilled on a drill press and not by hand under the trailer.
With the old axle I could feel every bump the trailer hit. Now I can only feel the weight. Very smooth!
Sam
Old 06-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Now that I have put about 700 to 800 miles on the trailer I felt the need to add a few things here that others might want to know.
I was assured that the bearings were packed and adjusted correctly at the factory, but were running warmer than I like. Upon inspection, I found the spindle nut too tight and what appeared to be a low grade of grease that was already discolored. I cleaned, repacked the bearings with Lubriplate, and readjusted the tension on the spindle nuts.
I suggest that anyone replacing their axle with any brand should check things out before the install. It's called insurance and peace of mind.
Other than this detail, I am still happy with the results.
Sam
Old 06-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #8

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Great results and I'm glad to hear your pleased with the replacment. We just returned from a 4800 mile 'break in' loop with our new axles. I kept a close eye for the first 1000 miles and was pleased with the brakes and the temps but very surprised with the amount the lug torques needed adjusting.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Great post. It is nice to know they are cheaper alternatives on the market.
Do you have any pictures? I don't have any complains about my 1965 axle, but in 10 more years...