Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Corpus Christi , Texas
Safari 25' axles and lift

2000 airstream safari 25' . Looking to gain a few inches of ground clearance. Do I have a dexter axle? Parts book says I have 3000# axle.

There are a couple of lift options depending on if you have #10 or #11 axles.

the #10 is rated for something like 2000-4000lb which I would assume would be what I have. But....it says for 5 lug only. I have six lug.

I realize the bolt pattern doesn't matter and either lift kit will probably work but just wanted to make sure I even had dexter axles and verify what #10 or #11 they would be. Thanks.
Itsbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
While I cannot help much with your question, i can offer some information regarding the Safari 25. I had three long conversations with Jackson Center peeps before and after buying my Safari 25. I was told that they used different axles with different weight ratings on DIFFERENT years- it was one of the buying cautions that were offered. The best way to know what you have is to request a build sheet from them. Call and give them your serial number and ask if they can email you the build sheet. It tells the axles used, at least mine does.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Corpus Christi , Texas
Does anyone know if the axle mount and mounting bracket vary at all between manufacturer or do they all bolt up the same?
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
The best way to know what you have is to look, all Dexter axles have their sticker, which provides all the specs of the axle, weight, length, spacing... Take picture with your phone and go from there.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
My 2000 Safari has 3000 lb axles with the six lug hubs.
The 3000 lb axle rating is noted on the data plate that is located at the front road side just above the lower belt line.
I have not seen a label on my axles, thought I have had no reason to look closely.
The axles on my trailer still have ~3" of movement downward when I jack up the trailer. So I assume they are still functioning properly.
I have no idea if #10 or #11 axle have the same mounting bracket.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
There have been and are various discussions as to how to gain 'clearance' on their Airstreams.

I would be led to believe that can only be done by increasing the diameter of the wheel and tires. Even then, the 16 inch wheels and tires gain minimal additional clearances.

You can lift the shell higher, but the axles remain with the same minimal clearance. If it is the shell clearance, upon the axles, that you want to gain clearance, a lift kit would do that.

The most vulnerable parts of our 25 and 23 foot Airstreams are the plumbing and the rear bumper.

Off road vehicles have 'skid plates' for those irregular ground surfaces that make contact when judgment is in error. Airstreams would not support skid plates. The frame may also be too flexible to create structural damage.

Gains in clearance:
1- Tire diameter increase to 16 inch
2- Tow driver's ability to navigate irregular terrain or steep paved ingress/egress
3- (no solution that would make me comfortable)

For Off the Grid and non paved roads, towing ability is most important.

The only other option is mounting the shell onto a secondary frame where the axles are below the frame, and not within the shell as with the Dexters. Arctic Fox has plenty of clearance compared to an Airstream due to the axles being below the frame of the trailer. A better choice for Off the Grid traveling.

Obviously Airstream has been asked about gaining clearance, and it is equally obvious that no solution on this Forum is advised by Jackson Center. Our Airstream trailers were not the travel anywhere trailer that was demonstrated in the 1950's, which were modified frame suspensions that someone who knows better than I can comment.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I installed the 3" lift kit on our 31' classic, I like it...have 2200 miles so far
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:24 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsbiscuit View Post
Does anyone know if the axle mount and mounting bracket vary at all between manufacturer or do they all bolt up the same?
Pre-66 and post 66 are a bit different. For your era the mounting is all the same.

If there is a difference it is not because of axle manufacturer, it would be because Airstream made a design change..

The above post/advice about different weight ratings is worth noting.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 04-27-2017, 07:07 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Corpus Christi , Texas
Perfect that's what I needed. Thanks everyone.