Old 02-13-2004, 11:25 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
balance

I've decided to get the cetramatics for my tandem '67. For $199 for a set of four it's worth giving it a shot.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #72
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Thenewkid64.

Airstream went to the "disc brake system" because of it's superiorority over electric brakes.

They quit it because of the costs involved.

Andy
(Been gone for a week)

Old 02-18-2004, 03:45 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Centramatics

I had them installed this morning and here is what they look like on the trailer.

I don't know how to tell whether they are doing the job, but I guess that if the knobs on my Fantastic Fans stop unscrewing themselves, I probably have less vibration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balancers.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	4872  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2004, 03:15 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I THINK I have found a place that will balance my wheel and tire and hub and drum, however, after reading everything posted here, I'm still not sure I understand this subject in its entirety.

The guy at this place told me he balances them without removing the tires and rim from the axle, and I won't be able to rotate my tires without rebalancing them or they won't still be balanced. It will cost about $65 for him to do this on my new 30' Classic.

Does this sound like the process you guys are referring to when you say balancing the entire running gear?

I can get my tires balanced at Costco for free, or for a very nominal cost. So, on a new Airstream, do you think it is better to pay $65 for "the works", or just do the tire balancing for free?

Also, if you get the entire running gear balanced, how long do you go between tire rotations (and rebalancing) ?

John
Old 02-21-2004, 03:27 PM   #75
Site Team

, Minnesota
Balancing

John,

This sounds like the old method using a motor to spin the wheel and a strobe light to detect balance. This used to be the best method for balancing. I think it still is. You're a lucky man.

Regarding rotation: I personally don't know why you would rotate tires on a un-powered, non-steer axle. Maybe someone else has a good reason.

Here's another idea: Have them balanced for free at Costco, then take them to your buddy and have him check them with the strobe. If the Costco balance is OK, then you can figure that the hubs are pretty well balanced.

Just make sure you change the air (or Nitrogen) in them once a season.
Old 02-21-2004, 03:34 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Thanks for the feedback, Mark.

I do keep a close check on my tire pressure, but haven't been changing the air in them (intentionally).

John
Old 02-21-2004, 03:42 PM   #77
Site Team

, Minnesota
Tire Inflation

Oh, John, I ALWAYS change the air in my tires, especially before I take them in for service. I add a few drops of air freshener. Why make the poor guy changing your tires suffer.
Old 02-21-2004, 06:38 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Re: Balancing

Quote:
Originally posted by markdoane
Regarding rotation: I personally don't know why you would rotate tires on a un-powered, non-steer axle. Maybe someone else has a good reason.
Thanks markdoane, once again your insight impresses me. This is an excellent point. Sure, I could rotate my tires to balance wear on the spare, but I do not think I will ever wear out a set of Airstream tires - they will be replaced due to age, not wear.

Am I too missing something?
Old 03-07-2004, 05:00 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Centramatics

I put on 300+ interstate miles last week at 65 mph with the Centramatics installed. Judging from the things we accidentally left on the counters and were still right in place when we stopped, I think that the Centramatics have definitely reduced vibration.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Trued the Tires and Balanced the Running Gear

I took my new 30' Classic today to have my running gear balanced. The place I went to does balancing and frame work, mostly for over-the-road trucks. It's a fair sized place with 5 separate bays, and is run by a guy who's said he's been in business locally for about 40 years.

He told me I could be there the first thing this morning at 7:00am and said it would take about 1 1/2 hours and would cost about $65 for my dual axle, 4 wheel trailer. So, I decided to wait without unhitching while he did the job.

The owner's son asked me how far I'd driven getting there, which was about 10-12 miles and he said that was far enough. Then, the first thing they did was to use some type of machine to check how round my tires were. They showed me that they weren't very round at all, and asked me if I wanted to have my tires "trued".

Of course I had no idea what that meant, and they said they actually shaved off some of the high spots on the tires so they'd run smoother. They said you could balance the running gear, but if you didin't also true the tires it would be like having an egg balanced and then driving on it - unless you make the egg round, you're only doing part of the job. It seemed to make sense, so I said "Sure, let's do it."

Four hours and 15 minutes later, sometimes with 2-3 guys working on it (and with me wondering WHAT KIND OF KING SIZED BILL I'D BE PAYING) the owner said they were finally finished.

They apologized for taking so long, but said that one tire in particular was a bugger to get balanced. They were going to add weights on the inside only, but said that tire took 12 oz of weight to get right, so they also had to put some of the weight on the outside, but it'is where you can't see it.

In total, my 4 tires took 19 oz of weight to get totally balanced (they said about 3 oz per tire that size is average for them - so I guess my other 3 were about average).

They said the balancing shoud be good for the tires' life, and to be sure not to change the exact tire position in case a tire is taken off for any reason, like having a state inspection done, etc.

My whole job cost $165.00 - $80 for truing the tires, $80 for the balancing, and $5 for the weights (I should have given then some of my fishing sinkers - maybe I could have cut the cost somewhat!). I any case, considering all the guys who worked on it, and for over 4 hours, that seems cheap by any measure these days.

More importantly, I'm really glad I had it done -- now, if only I can get all of the many other problems with my BRAND NEW trailer fixed, maybe I'll be able to sleep better at night!

John