Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-13-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
Risk of towing on bad Axles

I am new to the forum and not an owner yet.
I am contemplating buying a 1967 Overlander (just waiting on a title) and here is my concern. I am fairly certain the axles are worn out and because of where I’m at the cost of shipping is more than the cost of new axles. I know from research that if this trailer was in the lower 48 it would be worth twice as much if not more than what it is priced here.
My plan is to do as much work here as I can and then tow it from Alaska to the lower 48. The Alcan Highway is paved the entire distance and was in very good condition on my last trip. What is the risk of towing the trailer at least 2600 miles on bad axles?
Fishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If you want worst-case (since we don't know for sure how bad they are), you can look for stuff thrown around inside the trailer, popped interior rivets, cabinetry being torn off walls, and broken Corning windows.
If you are in the lower 48 now, and are traveling to get the trailer, why not get the axles delivered to you at home, and put them in the back of your truck? You can carry them North, and change them before you return.
It consists of 8 bolts, 4 shocks and bolts, 8 wires to the brakes, and 24 lug nuts.
I make it sound easy, don't I?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
Terry
Some of the issues you describe are there. Loose cabinets and a broken bulkhead between the sink and mid bed. I am in Fairbanks AK and so is the trailer. I would be towing it to the lower 48 next spring. I have read as much as I can about the axles and I thought I saw a spot that the latest axles require welding for the shock attachment?
Gary
Old 07-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
No welding should be needed, as long as you get Henschen replacements through Inland RV. Even if the shock brackets do require welding, it can be done after you come back to the states. Towing on new axles with no shocks is infinitely better than towing on bad axles with shocks.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
So really how many hours, days, months does the replacement take?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I replaced a single axle on our Argosy 20 in 2.5 hours, the same for a 1970 Caravel, and about 3.5 for the axles on the Sovereign.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
So it really is 8 bolts, 4 shocks and bolts, 8 wires to the brakes, and 24 lug nuts. I might be able to manage that with a big Cresent wrench. LOL.
Thanks Terry
Old 07-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoney View Post
So it really is 8 bolts, 4 shocks and bolts, 8 wires to the brakes, and 24 lug nuts. I might be able to manage that with a big Cresent wrench. LOL.
Thanks Terry
A big crescent wrench would do it, plus some 2 x 6's so that you can raise one axle at a time.

Airstream changed the design of the mounting brackets in 1969. Therefore you would need to drill 3 each, 1/2 holes in each axle mounting bracket and thru the axle mounting plate. Then you would use the grade 8, 1/2 bolts that are supplied.

So it would be 12 bolts, not 8.

To change both axles, you will need a helper to get the new axles in place. Takes about 3 to 4 hours for both, or with a little beer, maybe another 1/2 hour.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Fairbanks , Alaska
Thanks Andy. The shipping to Alaska is why I started this thread. I am looking into a possible shipping alternative. I will let you know.
Gary