Old 04-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Just slide one axle under, jack it up at the center with a helper holding one end as it raises. Guide the axle into the slots, put the bolts in one end, and come around and put the bolts in the other end. Then do the same for the other axle. Tighten all of the bolts. If it takes you more than a few minutes per axle, you're doing something wrong. Hook up the brake wires, install the wheels and you're done.

Been there, done that, bought the shirt.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Jacks

EQUIPMENT RENTAL.
It might save YOU and your trailer.

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Marietta , 30064
Terry, the only difference in our procedures will be that I am lowering the trailer to the axles rather than lifting the axles to the trailer. The remainder of the procedures are exactly the same. Once the axles are bolted on I will jack the trailer back up onto jackstands and remove the wheels to do the shocks and electrical.

My belief is that the "lift the axles to the jack" procedure comes from one habit:

You drive your double axle trailer up on boards to change a flat, so anything that involves taking a wheel off means driving up on boards first.

Changing an axle means taking the wheel off, so habit drives people up onto boards as the first step to the procedure. (Of course! You're taking a wheel off, so it's easier to drive the other axle's wheels up onto boards!)

Once you are on boards you do not have the option of lowering the trailer to the axle and have no choice but to jack the axles somehow up to the trailer.

IMO the trailer wants to go down, and the axles do NOT want to go up, so why not give them both what they want!

No matter what, it will be fun to try a new method! I hope I hope I hope the stuff gets here early in the day!
Old 04-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Marietta , 30064
No worries y'all, if it turns out not to be working very well I will certainly figure something out for getting the axles up to the trailer instead. My title after all was "what am i missing?"
Old 04-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I think the way I did it is best. I hooked up.Pulled front axle onto boards.NO CHANCE of the trailer to fall.Unbolt Axle and shocks,snip wires.Put floor jack under center of axle and let it down.Put new axle on jack and raise into position and insert bolts ,washer and nuts connect shocks and brake wires,put tires back on and tighten lugs.Back trailer off front block and onto blocks under new axle wheels and repeat the process. There was never any type of danger that the trailer might fall.
Total Time 3hrs
Oh DID I MENTION I'm 70 yrs old.
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Exclamation

Chris
I only wish I had a double axle trailer so I could have used the raised board method! Jack stands are great as back up in conjunction with real automotive floor jacks. All of this has to take place on a level surface and not a sloped driveway.
Raising an axle weighing a few hundred pounds with a floor jack and it's turn table plate allows you to lift it from the center and carefully place it just where you want it.

Lowering a 6000 lb trailer one side at a time down on to your axle that has wheels attached just sounds like to many steps back and forth. At some point you will be moving the axle up to final placement and ditching the gravity idea.

I am trying to picture just how high the trailer has to be to get to roll your new axles with tires attached?

So, with the old axle attached with wheels blocked big trailer stays put.
Roll new unit in place, put floor jack in middle, raise, adjust and attach. By the way, it will be a few more hours drilling those 1/2" holes....sorry.

Read some more axle threads using the search function. Make sure axle is in alignment.
There are so many things wrong with your theory I think you need to start from the beginning again.

Just trying to help
Old 04-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd37 View Post
Terry, the only difference in our procedures will be that I am lowering the trailer to the axles rather than lifting the axles to the trailer. The remainder of the procedures are exactly the same. Once the axles are bolted on I will jack the trailer back up onto jackstands and remove the wheels to do the shocks and electrical.

My belief is that the "lift the axles to the jack" procedure comes from one habit:

You drive your double axle trailer up on boards to change a flat, so anything that involves taking a wheel off means driving up on boards first.

Changing an axle means taking the wheel off, so habit drives people up onto boards as the first step to the procedure. (Of course! You're taking a wheel off, so it's easier to drive the other axle's wheels up onto boards!)

Once you are on boards you do not have the option of lowering the trailer to the axle and have no choice but to jack the axles somehow up to the trailer.

IMO the trailer wants to go down, and the axles do NOT want to go up, so why not give them both what they want!

No matter what, it will be fun to try a new method! I hope I hope I hope the stuff gets here early in the day!
My Trailer only has one axle, So I had to jack it up. Removing the tires allows for the axle to be removed with the tire wheel assembly not hitting the wells and bottom of the belly pan.

Don't lock on to your procedure to prove a point, What you are suggesting is dangerous, You could do serious damage to yourself and your trailer.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Marietta , 30064
The old axles are already off. I popped 3 of the 4 wheels off to have a look at things and (honest to God) had to use a jack between the wheel and frame to push the 4th wheel off the trailer. That told me "new everything, all around." The trailer is on 4 jack stands behind the axles and the super jack and SUV ball mount in front. It's not going anywhere.

Drilling what 1/2" holes? I paid for the replacement axles from Inland RV. The holes are supposed to be perfect which takes care of alignment. You just bolt them on and that's that.

Floor jack ,huh? Turn table plate? Ok now I understand why y'all think that way is so easy. With a fancy jack like that it probably is easy! THAT is what I am missing. If I can't make do with what I have tomorrow, then at least now I know what to go rent. Thanks safari62!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:17 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Marietta , 30064
Hey Aerowood, no worries, if it is not looking good I will totally abandon and go get the floor jack safari62 mentioned. I was thinking of a car spare tire type jack being used for lifting the axle (which I mantain is absurd) but the kind of jack safari62 is talking about sounds sensible.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisd37 View Post
The old axles are already off. I popped 3 of the 4 wheels off to have a look at things and (honest to God) had to use a jack between the wheel and frame to push the 4th wheel off the trailer. That told me "new everything, all around." The trailer is on 4 jack stands behind the axles and the super jack and SUV ball mount in front. It's not going anywhere.

Drilling what 1/2" holes? I paid for the replacement axles from Inland RV. The holes are supposed to be perfect which takes care of alignment. You just bolt them on and that's that.

Floor jack ,huh? Turn table plate? Ok now I understand why y'all think that way is so easy. With a fancy jack like that it probably is easy! THAT is what I am missing. If I can't make do with what I have tomorrow, then at least now I know what to go rent. Thanks safari62!
My vintage trailer mounting holes did not match the new axle. Sounds like newer trailers will. Good luck with that. Chances are you will have to cut off and reweld shock mounts....at least I had too. If so that can be done after axle is in place.
Renting a floor jack will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flying Safari 001.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	78391  
Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Here's a motorcycle jack
Old 04-13-2009, 10:56 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Chris,
I replaced my axles a couple of weeks ago without a floor jack. We used wooden blocks, hand lifted one side at a time placing a block under each side until we were close to the slots. We used a tire jack to finish placing the axles in the slots, drilled holes and bolted one axle on at a time (replacing one axle at a time). Honestly, I found it to be uncomfortable crawling under the trailer with just one axle installed and I can not imagine getting under the trailer with no axles. Please be careful.

63silver
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
My vintage trailer mounting holes did not match the new axle.
That is a "pre-1969 thing", and he shouldn't have that problem with his '76.
As for his choice of installation methods, we've made our opinions clear, he can choose to reconsider, or follow his own path.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
What you are missing is a floor jack! Must have! Adios, John