Old 06-07-2005, 12:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
My new axle arrived last week just befor memorial day weekend and the shop didn't have time to get my trailer in as it becomes a little rushed around here for the summer I went by after the holiday and snapped this shot of the axle and you can clearly see why UPS wouldn't handle it..the pallet was heavy duty ... anyway they assured me that my mini was going inside the hanger this week... Ive also requested they replace the vent caps and replace the old land power cord with a new marine type connection that i saw on craig dorsey's airstream.. it should be preaty neat when completed ... this gets the electric cord out of the dump water hose tray.... never liked it there anyway...

Old 06-07-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Thumbs down Follow Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
... anyway they assured me that my mini was going inside the hanger this week...

Be sure to keep us posted as your project progresses. I’m sure many of us look forward to hearing about the entire experience.

Regards,

Henry

Old 06-07-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

new axle

Hi Henry,
the axle is here or well its at the shop... that photo is taken almost a week after they received it ....still in the crate... sorry just noticed that the photo isn't on that post ... i'll put it up this time for sure .. anyway I guess I have to follow up on the progress as they are not going to be able to provide digital photo's either.
The trailer is locked up secure and you can't see it from the street... but it's wierd not having it in my driveway...
I've been working so many hours that I can't seem to get over to the shop... except on saturday's ... I will keep you informed as much as possible ...they are also doing some other things for me as well...so it may be another week...
Thanks again Henry, the axle is as you said... complete...from brakets to brakes even has the bearing caps installed ...
Old 06-07-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

can't make the photo post? sorry ... I'll try again tomorrow..
Old 06-08-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
photo too large?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
can't make the photo post? sorry ... I'll try again tomorrow..
You may have to go take a low-res photo for it to be used here. I think the limit is 100kb.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:31 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

work in progress

well another saturday passed and the argosy is not back yet ... I was busy all weekend putting down some base rock for the trailer to sit on when it returns ... about 9 tons of base material on saturday so i didn't even have time to visit the shop ... i still can't post a photo attachment so something must be wrong with the photo size on the camera ... sorry... I will have to correct that ...

Dan
Old 06-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I'm confused by your post. It only takes about 1 to 2 hours to replace an axle.
Is the shop busy, or are they having trouble with the installation.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 AM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I try to keep after them when any of my vehicles are at a shop. I find if I don't my project can get pushed to the back and then they rush through it at the last minute when they think they've worn out my patience. That's why my Dexter axel replacement took the shop two weeks! I still think they did it all on the last day, I had given them a date I told them I needed it for a trip - we got it back the day before our trip to OK last summer! Talk about last minute!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

new axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet's Husband
I'm confused by your post. It only takes about 1 to 2 hours to replace an axle.
Is the shop busy, or are they having trouble with the installation.

Hey, Janet's husband thanks for asking. Yes, they are busy... infact they didn't want to make an appointment for me untill the axle was at the shop... he is also a warrenty repair facility and will even go out for a mobile service call...the rumor is that when the other shops over book and are behind they will send some of their work to him he is qualified to do the work which was why i was willing to go through the trouble ...but... I did call saturday and complain...I gave him a dead line of saturday the 18th.
I hope it doesn't come down to the last minute and slap things together but it may be even more trouble to take the trailer away from him... I felt that a dead line was necessary for both of us...maybe i'm wrong ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new axle.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	12905  
Old 06-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

[ I had given them a date I told them I needed it for a trip - we got it back the day before our trip to OK last summer! Talk about last minute![/QUOTE]

I may be making a mistake but I gave him deadline last week Im not sure its the right thing to do as you said it may just give them an excuse to do everything on the last day...but I believe that the shops should have a start date and completion date if those dates cannot be met all that would be necessary is a quick phone call... I think it just keeps everyone honest.
Dan
Old 06-16-2005, 06:53 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
I think a deadline is the best way to go. When I mean they did it at the last minute, I don't mean they do poor quality work necessarily, just that they wait until they HAVE to do it. My mistake was telling them the actual date I planned on leaving. If I did it again, I would give them a date a week ahead so I'd get it back in plenty of time.

Can't wait to hear how you like your new axel!

Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I think a deadline is the best way to go. When I mean they did it at the last minute, I don't mean they do poor quality work necessarily, just that they wait until they HAVE to do it. My mistake was telling them the actual date I planned on leaving. If I did it again, I would give them a date a week ahead so I'd get it back in plenty of time.

Can't wait to hear how you like your new axel!
Stephanie that was the dificult part... should I give him a deadline or not ... hard choice ...
without telling him my travel plans I would like a couple of shake down trips befor my vacation... I booked the first week of august for the Marina Dunes RV park in Marina California its supposed to be 8 miles from down town Carmel and Montery... we have tickets to take Nick to the Montery Bay aquarium...they had a great white shark for a while but guess it could not survive in captivity ... too bad I was looking forward to seeing that thing...

Dan
Old 06-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
I wanted to see the shark too! That sounds like a great trip, tons of stuff to do around there.

I'll bet you love the new axel. It was like night and day when I replaced mine. Rides better, tows better, and things weren't all tossed around inside anymore.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:51 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Dan,
Did they get your new axle installed yet?
What drop angle did you have put on your axle? Did you go with more then the 22.5 degrees?