Old 07-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #71

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That's interesting, I heard the same thing from my RV shop who replaced my axel. When I told him I wanted shocks like on the original setup, he said torsion axels don't need shocks, and most or all the other trailers don't have them (they have done a lot of axel replacements for other than AS trailers). But they put them on anyway since I wanted them.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #72
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
That's interesting, I heard the same thing from my RV shop who replaced my axel. When I told him I wanted shocks like on the original setup, he said torsion axels don't need shocks, and most or all the other trailers don't have them (they have done a lot of axel replacements for other than AS trailers). But they put them on anyway since I wanted them.
I have heard a similar story. In fact, I have heard a similar story on this forum. However, I am from the school that says if something is there, it is there for a reason, and should be put back on when you are done with it.

Old 07-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #73
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
. . . I am from the school that says if something is there, it is there for a reason, and should be put back on when you are done with it.
That's what I thot too, until IE5 came bundled with Win98.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:36 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
HeeHee!!!! I know what you mean!
Airstream is the ONLY RV that I have ever seen that uses a torsion axle with a shock absorber. The service techs at Jackson Center have said the same thing twenty years ago.
The axle manufacturers will tell you the same thing too. Shocks are not needed on a torsion axle. Come to think of it, how many sprung axle SOB's have you seen with a shock? I know that with a spring axle that I would rather have a shock but there are not many that have them.
I do agree with Terry and say that if it was there I want to put it back. I am half-tempted to pull them off and see what happens. Of course I have an itty-bitty Minuet.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:43 PM   #75
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Of course, Microsoft is one of the exceptions to the rule.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
OK, since the photo was posted there has been alot of speculation about the shock absorber...

untill now I did not have the authority from NASA'S research and development department ..to disclose what you are about to see...

This shock is no ordinary shock... it is a new prototype HYPER-REVERB shock... derived from morphite and nanotechnology, made from rare and priceless ultralight magnesium and titanium... infused with hybrid carbide and synthetics

It is filled with enriched unobtanium and hydrogen gasses and glides on triple ported and polished cylinders..

this mod provides for extremely nimble control and allows for instant lane changes
adding to both stability and durability...

it is available in BLACK however I chose AZURE BLUE to help disapate heat better..

The engineers recomended that this shock only be installed in this configuration
and cannot nor should it ever be compared to any airstream shock

The performance of this shock far exceeded any airstream shock ever produced

I hope this will put to rest any questions about the shock... we will be updating this thread as more information is released...

thank you all for your concern...
Old 07-03-2005, 05:26 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

A speciality vehicle team was assembled from accross the united states and converged on the argosy... attempting to reconfigure the shock, the team has determined that if the argosy is kept at speeds of less than 916 MPH that the prototype HYPER REVERB shock can be flipped over...

we are very pleased because we were not looking forward to installing the as yet unavailable MAG LEV tires this should please the normally anal retentive airstream crowds that were about to nuke the little argosy for blasphemy... the crack team consisted of special agents JUAN, PEDRO AND JESUS Last names are classified ... for secrity reasons... this will not be the last you hear from the argosy team from california... more news to follow as information is released
Old 07-03-2005, 05:46 PM   #78
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Thumbs down

Now that we have the 'Shock-ing' truth about this set-up ... you could always affix one of those infamous rogue 'AIR' oval stickers on each one.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:38 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
[QUOTE=gotair2]team consisted of special agents JUAN, PEDRO AND JESUS Last names are classified ...

Cool, I voted for Pedro.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #80
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
Cool, I voted for Pedro.
"Well, you have a sweet bike. And you're really good at hooking up with chicks. Plus you're like the only guy at school who has a mustache."

-Napolean 'Tin Hut' Dynamite
Old 07-03-2005, 09:21 PM   #81
Rivet Master

I am pleased to have served with the "special agents" from Cali.
The field office here in Detroit was instrumental in coordinating the efforts out in California. We did consult the special agent in Elkhart, IN.
Considering the three hour time difference, they were done before they got started.
I now know that Special Agent Juan does know what "No va" means.
Special Agent Pedro did receive an injury to his foot so we will be putting him in for a Purple Heart.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #82
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
This shock is no ordinary shock... it is a new prototype HYPER-REVERB shock... derived from morphite and nanotechnology, made from rare and priceless ultralight magnesium and titanium... infused with hybrid carbide and synthetics
it is available in BLACK however I chose AZURE BLUE to help disapate heat better..
This is the same shock that I used but since it was so top secret I could not divulge all of the details. I am still trying to put all of the nano-bots back in their cage after they had finished assembling the secret inner workings of the shock.
I went with Medium Blue instead of the Azure Blue because I wanted better shock aerodynamics while performing my instant lane changes.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:22 AM   #83
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
Now that we have the 'Shock-ing' truth about this set-up ... you could always affix one of those infamous rogue 'AIR' oval stickers on each one.
the shocking truth is this ..

I purchased an axle from axisproducts however I not only got an axle I got a complete axle with mounting brakets installed and shock mounting brakets installed and it included complete brakes and backing plates and came with new mounting hardware and even had new lug nuts... taped on it for good luck...

I cannot recomend this company AXISPRODUCTS more highly ... the axle is perfect.. the person in charge of airstream products development is HENRY
I hope you call him...

the axle fit perfectly and performs flawlessly... if I were to do this again I would not hesitate for one moment to use Henry at Axisproducts

Henry built the axle shipped it out in one week.... he then followed up on the installation... untill I was completly satisfied ... this man is what business' used to be .... He is QUALITY , PRICE , AND SERVICE.. A COMPLETE PACKAGE

You will not go wrong useing this man as your axle provider... I will update this thread with more information as soon as I can...

I purchased a complete axle for 250.oo and had it shipped to california for @325.oo... had it installed for 150.oo the complete package totaled @ 725.oo

this is the best product you can use and Henry is the best...
Old 07-04-2005, 01:03 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
there was one problem when the installer put the shock on upside down

the real problem was that the shop that put the axle on normaly uses another brand which never uses shocks on their tortion axles ... they at first didn't think it should be installed but did so because i had supplied them with one... they were not concerned about the position of the shock because it is a sealed gas charged shock... and it does not mater what position it is installed and yes it works in any position even upside down...

they were not interested in flipping the shock over because they were confident that it was not going to be a problem...( why take time to flip a shock over that isnt even needed in the first place )

however I made a phone call to Henry at Axisproducts who told the owner that I wanted to shock flipped and axis products would cover any costs that were incurred if something had to be modified to make it work

the shop owner then pulled my trailer into the shop and flipped the shock

there was no modification made to the trailer or the axle and the shop did not charge henry anything...

they simply did not consider this an issue and said it realy was not even necessary to install the shock... they do not use them on their normal brand of axle...

there was some realy amazing business practice being displayed here

Henry went out on a limb and exposed himself to unknown costs just to satisfy a customer thousands of miles away on a Holiday weekend

thats right I called Henry at home on a holiday weekend to explain what was going on and he talked to the shop owner and the shock was flipped with no more arguements... one hour later I was leaveing the lot and its a perfect fit

aging there is QUALITY , PRICE AND SERVICE .. THE COMPLETE PACKAGE
\
stay tooned for more ...